Become a Patron!

Squonkers are Bonkers

Pevinsghost

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Wow! Nichrome is very nice. :) Got a 4 strand twisted 28 awg coiled round 3 mm 6 wraps, it hits at 0.30 Ω. Quick ramp up and evenly heated. Yes, I am using the LG HB6 18650 1500mAh 30A Battery to push it along. Very good :cloud: :cloud: & good flavor as well, at least as best I can taste flavor. Added a smidge of menthol type juice.

ETA: *Now, sits chuckling maniacally & muttering ...* "Ooooooh use the 36 gauge, Spanky says, make the fused Clapton and then the Alien, he says ..." *Trails off in manic chuckling and occasionally getting this little glimmer in his eyes, as he chants "Ah, boom, big bada boom", the rest is unintelligible whistles, bleeps, blops, mystical ordnance finger diagramming, clicks, whirs ...*
Those HB6 don't actually hit all that hard. They have the high amp rating because they run incredibly cool, not for spectacular performance.

The VTC5A will actually sag less because of the lower internal resistance, run longer due to higher capacity, and still only be pulling about half it's rated amperage with that build.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The VTC5A will actually sag less because of the lower internal resistance, run longer due to higher capacity, and still only be pulling about half it's rated amperage with that build.

I'll file that in the "Next Time I Can Spluge" column. Do see the LG's are doing as you say.

Haunted by Hank - you poor bastard

Yes, that I am in more definitions than one. :)

I dunno, he was a pretty nice guy. Could be a lot worse.

Yes it can be at times. I am often haunted by a varying motley crue of deceased and occasionally the living. The blessing/curse of being born with veil.

Had a yuck happen here this morning. As a result I am noting; "Do not trust self with menthol and fruit flavors for a while". Feeling a bit nauseous even, light headed.

raineysky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's a better squonk rda for my VT INBOX THE MAZE it came with or the peerless?

No experience with the Maze but I have three of the Peerless. They are very nice but the damn O-rings are too tight and get worse over time. I take one off. Air flow and vape is very good though.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
201d5baf804f14d758528b64ab292f9d.jpg

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DIY.

Cover your chosen tobacco in PG, store at room temp for 2 or 3 months, shaking weekly. Strain twice through medium coffee filter in a funnel
What do you mean wait 2 or 3 months? This would be a case where Alzheimer's could be handy! Dogman, for me instant gratification takes too long!
In other news, there's a Flave 22 Ti. for sale in the classifieds.

Last edited:

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If anybody here wants a kickass SV single cell, MOSFET, stab wood squonk from the first batch, it is for sale at the other site. No, it isn't mine but I can wait only so long. Please, do yourself (and me) a favor and get it! It comes with a good mtl atty.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's the one! That SV mod makes it worth the trouble!

When I got suspended for something I didn't even do, and then insulted about it, I said adios assholes and haven't been back, at least to post in their idiot forum -- I've had to visit to read some vape-tech stuff, and participated in a few PMs, but I will never post in that forum again until both Retarded1 and Asswife are either dead, or just not moderators anymore. I cordially invite both of them to FOAD.

Andria

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I got suspended for something I didn't even do, and then insulted about it, I said adios assholes and haven't been back, at least to post in their idiot forum -- I've had to visit to read some vape-tech stuff, and participated in a few PMs, but I will never post in that forum again until both Retarded1 and Asswife are either dead, or just not moderators anymore. I cordially invite both of them to FOAD.

Andria
I hang out there once in a while in the pdib thread (Nuppins could show up} and the tootle puffers thread though it gets a bit much at times. I posted a few times in the NET thread and I'm getting good info there. It'll make you feel good knowing I swiped a Nuppin from under {not very)Classy's nose! She sort of whined a bit about it but the deal was done. The Drifter gave me the heads up and I posted/pm'd the seller a couple of minutes before she did. It was sweet for me because a couple of days before she got on my case about asking people in the pdib thread if they know anyone who'd want to part with a Nuppin.

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey vapefam. Have been MIA for awhile now. Thought i would pop in and say hello. And throw up a quick handcheck. Got the Entheon a week or so ago and loving it. One of my fav single coil rda's already. Love the airflow...

mXjTIq9.jpg

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I've experienced some real weirdness tonight. @Pevinsghost PIFed me a Dripbox 160 last week; today I finally got my squonk pins from FatDaddy, my husband got the hole drilled thru the delrin in the Magma for me, and I got set up to squonk! But the Dripbox 160 had other ideas. The batteries I put in it were a pair of freshly charged 30Q's; nearly new, they work fine. The coil on the Magma was a whopping 2.28 ohms (I was aiming for 2 ohms, but then realized that the Magma needs the leads pointed in the same direction, so twisting it that extra half-turn raised it just slightly). The Dripbox 160 turned on, and I was able to get it into wattage mode... but then, when I press the fire button, it showed me a couple of odd msgs: "check batteries" -- and the little battery indicator on the display was showing a completely empty battery -- and also, "low resistance", reading that 2.28Ω coil at .23 Ω.

It did the same thing when my son inserted his pair of HE2s, also freshly charged -- "check batteries" -- at that point there wasn't an atomizer on it, so i dunno if it would have given the same low resistance msg.

Anyone have the first clue what might be going on with this thing?

BTW, the Magma modification worked, but on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd have to give it maybe a 6 or 7; that delrin block is so tall, I have to squonk 3-4 times to get any liquid into the magma. But at least, it does work (I put it on the SteamCrave, at 9w, and my son tried it at 10w), and I still like the Magma's vape. But I think I may need to give it a boil; I keep getting a sort of perfumey taste. It's been a while since I used that atty, so it may just need a good cleaning.

Andria

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good to see you! Keep in touch!
Thanks, i will be on more again. I just had alot going on with life in general. You know how that goes. Sometimes life just throws us some curve balls...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I've experienced some real weirdness tonight. @Pevinsghost

BTW, the Magma modification worked, but on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd have to give it maybe a 6 or 7; that delrin block is so tall, I have to squonk 3-4 times to get any liquid into the magma. But at least, it does work (I put it on the SteamCrave, at 9w, and my son tried it at 10w), and I still like the Magma's vape. But I think I may need to give it a boil; I keep getting a sort of perfumey taste. It's been a while since I used that atty, so it may just need a good cleaning.

Andria

Andria, I have a magma from Catfish I don't use. If I remember correctly it squonked fine. Just wasn't my cup-o-tea. I'll have to search for it, but it's here somewhere. I forget how he squonkafied the atty, but there was more to it than just drilling the insulator. If you want it, it's yours.

Have a few of the 160's, but haven't opened a box yet, no help in that dept.

Le Furet

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
G'mornin Crazies!
8am here and headed off to bed, after another action packed comm 'day' with the Frenchies..
Not squonk related but I wanted to share some cool news with you, many of you know that my holy grail has been the Vaponaute Le Jumbo Jet mech for almost 4 years now..
Thanks to a stand up guy and classy gent that many of you know on VU.. I am finally bringing that damn unicorn home soon!!
Super excited and had to share with youse all...
And I learned a valuable lesson. Since the beginning of the year I've been on a ton of wild quests for this rare thing or that rare thing... because I work on Facebook and I'm on there every day anyway.. I've been easily swept up in the false urgency, the lists, the randomizers, etc.. I know many of you loathe the Facebook system and I totally get it, and agree to a certain extent.. for me it's a nice distraction from my daily Facebook work flow.. but not unlike gambling, so easy to get caught in the grip! Kinda like when you see new stuff added to the VaporDNA clearance and you either pounce or it's gone. (At least you tell yourself) Or an eBay 'buy it now' that you convince yourself EVERYONE is about to buy too (!)
Sooo.. I weaned myself off the Facebook pressure cooker awhile back, started really focusing on work and my family, quality time with my dog.. planning & saving for my trips to France next year.. forgot about the latest & greatest... and whaddya know.. Le Jumbo Jet flies in for a landing ...after 4 years in hiding!!
Moral of The Story.. What goes around will come back around, patience is a virtue yadda yadda...The Vapegods work in mysterious ways!!!
On that note.. time to zzzzzzleeeep...Happy TGIF everyone, have a nice super chill weekend mates.
Big hugs from NorCal
; ))
X

Edit: I guess it's only been around 3 years.
With all my obsessive Googling it feels
like 20!!

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Andria, I have a magma from Catfish I don't use. If I remember correctly it squonked fine. Just wasn't my cup-o-tea. I'll have to search for it, but it's here somewhere. I forget how he squonkafied the atty, but there was more to it than just drilling the insulator. If you want it, it's yours.

Sounds awesome, thanks!! I'll PM! After I see it, maybe I'll be able to modify my other one more effectively. :)

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Very nice.

Any inspiration for colors?

Favorite sports team maybe?

View attachment 93369

Or maybe something more controversial on the internet?

View attachment 93370

LOL Nope, I like the white croc look. It's different than my others. Kinda classy. :D And it looked better in the black frame than the silver, and the wood brought out the tan tones (the wood looks better in person than in the photo). And I thought a gold tank would look nice on it. Looks pretty good if I do say so myself. :)

The squonk bottle is really soft, almost too soft. Definitely an improvement over the one in my Inbox. I think I need to get some silicone bottles for the Inbox now. The concept of using a screw-on refill bottle is different, and I can see it's going to be less than fun when I need to change the battery, but all in all, I do like it.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL Nope, I like the white croc look. It's different than my others. Kinda classy. :D And it looked better in the black frame than the silver, and the wood brought out the tan tones (the wood looks better in person than in the photo). And I thought a gold tank would look nice on it. Looks pretty good if I do say so myself. :)

The squonk bottle is really soft, almost too soft. Definitely an improvement over the one in my Inbox. I think I need to get some silicone bottles for the Inbox now. The concept of using a screw-on refill bottle is different, and I can see it's going to be less than fun when I need to change the battery, but all in all, I do like it.
I'm still waiting for my 75C but I have the previous version Theriot BF. The refill bottle is great and I usually charge the battery in the mod.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm still waiting for my 75C but I have the previous version Theriot BF. The refill bottle is great and I usually charge the battery in the mod.

Yeah, I figured I probably will do that as well. I thought mine was broken at first as none of the buttons seemed to work. The screen came on but didn't do anything. I connected to escribe and everything. Then it dawned on me, I hadn't turned it on. :oops:

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I've experienced some real weirdness tonight. @Pevinsghost PIFed me a Dripbox 160 last week; today I finally got my squonk pins from FatDaddy, my husband got the hole drilled thru the delrin in the Magma for me, and I got set up to squonk! But the Dripbox 160 had other ideas. The batteries I put in it were a pair of freshly charged 30Q's; nearly new, they work fine. The coil on the Magma was a whopping 2.28 ohms (I was aiming for 2 ohms, but then realized that the Magma needs the leads pointed in the same direction, so twisting it that extra half-turn raised it just slightly). The Dripbox 160 turned on, and I was able to get it into wattage mode... but then, when I press the fire button, it showed me a couple of odd msgs: "check batteries" -- and the little battery indicator on the display was showing a completely empty battery -- and also, "low resistance", reading that 2.28Ω coil at .23 Ω.

It did the same thing when my son inserted his pair of HE2s, also freshly charged -- "check batteries" -- at that point there wasn't an atomizer on it, so i dunno if it would have given the same low resistance msg.

Anyone have the first clue what might be going on with this thing?

Andria
I dont know if the Dripbox 160 is the same as the Dripbox 2. On the DB2 I have to remove the atty, hit the fire button to get it to read 9.99 then screw the atty back down and hit the fire again for a correct coil resistance. I only have to do this when switching attys or setting up a new build.

Also the Dripbox 2 only supports to a maximum of 2.5 ohms so if the Dripbox 160 is anything like it, your 2.28 ohm coil is getting close to the max.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I forget but I think the dripbox 160 is that way as well for resetting for atty. At least in TC.
I am not sure as I always use the same build :)
So no worries about the resistance reading.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I dont know if the Dripbox 160 is the same as the Dripbox 2. On the DB2 I have to remove the atty, hit the fire button to get it to read 9.99 then screw the atty back down and hit the fire again for a correct coil resistance. I only have to do this when switching attys or setting up a new build.

Also the Dripbox 2 only supports to a maximum of 2.5 ohms so if the Dripbox 160 is anything like it, your 2.28 ohm coil is getting close to the max.

You have to do that to get a correct resistance reading, even to use wattage mode? I never use TC; it's just not useful at my low wattage.

I did consider that about the high resistance maybe being too much for it. I took it all back apart so I could boil the atty today, and give the bottles a good cleaning (not sure where that perfumey taste is coming from), so I guess I could go ahead and put a new coil on it, with fewer wraps, and see if the DB 160 likes it any better. However I dunno about that "check batteries" thing, since both sets we tried in it were freshly charged.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You have to do that to get a correct resistance reading, even to use wattage mode? I never use TC; it's just not useful at my low wattage.

I did consider that about the high resistance maybe being too much for it. I took it all back apart so I could boil the atty today, and give the bottles a good cleaning (not sure where that perfumey taste is coming from), so I guess I could go ahead and put a new coil on it, with fewer wraps, and see if the DB 160 likes it any better. However I dunno about that "check batteries" thing, since both sets we tried in it were freshly charged.

Andria
I clean all my bottles with Isopropyl and let dry for 24 hours to remove any chemical taste.

Zaxxaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I found a US vendor that has the Geekvape Athena squonk mod kits IN STOCK! Seriously considering pulling the trigger,but they charge sales tax.Comes out to about $75 after tax and shipping.:tantrum:

Bardiel003

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I found a US vendor that has the Geekvape Athena squonk mod kits IN STOCK! Seriously considering pulling the trigger,but they charge sales tax.Comes out to about $75 after tax and shipping.:tantrum:
How much before? 60? =/

Zaxxaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They were supposed to come out with a new dual cell regulated squonk too!
I wish they would. I've heard rumors that they are going to start making the gbox s100 again,but don't know if that is true.I've heard nothing about a new regulated squonker from them though.

VU Sponsors