Become a Patron!

SS Coil build

zlowly

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a question for people that builds on SS, i use Ni80 ATM. (I am loving this thing, tried kanthal but not for me)
I've asked people around me and they said "If you want some best flavor then SS is the answer." then yeah i might going to consider this because SS is considerably great coil for TC.
Then, i see them building on SS with a spaced build. Is it necessary to build SS with spaced build for TC? how about the normal wraps?

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have a question for people that builds on SS, i use Ni80 ATM. (I am loving this thing, tried kanthal but not for me)
I've asked people around me and they said "If you want some best flavor then SS is the answer." then yeah i might going to consider this because SS is considerably great coil for TC.
Then, i see them building on SS with a spaced build. Is it necessary to build SS with spaced build for TC? how about the normal wraps?
Some people space their SS and some don't. Sometimes you can have issues with contact SS coils. I never had any issues. I normally do 24g SS316L at around 8 to 10 wraps and 3mm ID, not spaced. I also like to do Fused Claptons paralleled with the 24g SS. Awesome flavor.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also, a good way to build prefect spaced coils is to use a fine threaded screw to do your wraps on. They will be evenly spaced, then just unscrew the screw out of the coil when done wrapping.

F1fanoly

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use single coil tanks. I prefer a cooler vape with dense flavor. I use various S.S. Clapton variations exclusively,and if I can fit a spaced coil in and reach my target resistance I will space. Rayon was a game changer for me too. Spaced stainless single Clapton wicked with rayon, .5 resistance at around 30 watts(never more than 4.5v for me) in any of my tanks is bliss. And I don't use temp control, I learn how to wick my tanks.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since you're using Ni80 i guess you don't use or want to use TC.
SS is perfectly fine for both TC and non TC, just be aware that you will get a much lower resistance coil doing the same build with SS instead of Ni80.
For example 26G SS316 is 1.76 ohm/ft and 26G Ni80 is 2.65 ohm/ft

zlowly

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some people space their SS and some don't. Sometimes you can have issues with contact SS coils. I never had any issues. I normally do 24g SS316L at around 8 to 10 wraps and 3mm ID, not spaced. I also like to do Fused Claptons paralleled with the 24g SS. Awesome flavor.

Well yeah a lot of people experience it, they said when you use contact coil and try to play with TC the mod will kick you back to Power mode.
Do you use it on power or TC mode? based on your comment on how you never got any problems with it then you don't use TC?

I use single coil tanks. I prefer a cooler vape with dense flavor. I use various S.S. Clapton variations exclusively,and if I can fit a spaced coil in and reach my target resistance I will space. Rayon was a game changer for me too. Spaced stainless single Clapton wicked with rayon, .5 resistance at around 30 watts(never more than 4.5v for me) in any of my tanks is bliss. And I don't use temp control, I learn how to wick my tanks.

Well yeah i prefer cool vapor too (I really love mint flavor)
I hope i could get my hands sooner on rayon because it's like the best wicking material out there...

Since you're using Ni80 i guess you don't use or want to use TC.
SS is perfectly fine for both TC and non TC, just be aware that you will get a much lower resistance coil doing the same build with SS instead of Ni80.
For example 26G SS316 is 1.76 ohm/ft and 26G Ni80 is 2.65 ohm/ft

Nah, i think i will love SS. Some of my friend said that SS gives you clean taste. Ni80 when it's already (even almost) the time to change it you can taste some steel-y taste between those vapor...
well that means more wraps for me

Thanks for all the feedback :D I appreciate it

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well yeah a lot of people experience it, they said when you use contact coil and try to play with TC the mod will kick you back to Power mode.
Do you use it on power or TC mode? based on your comment on how you never got any problems with it then you don't use TC?

Well yeah i prefer cool vapor too (I really love mint flavor)
I hope i could get my hands sooner on rayon because it's like the best wicking material out there...

Nah, i think i will love SS. Some of my friend said that SS gives you clean taste. Ni80 when it's already (even almost) the time to change it you can taste some steel-y taste between those vapor...
well that means more wraps for me

Thanks for all the feedback :D I appreciate it
I use it in both power and tc. Right now im using 24g SS contact coils and its running fine. I never had it kick me out of tc.

suDnd3th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've used both TC and power with spaced and contact coils also and had no problems. Take your time and slowly work the hot spots out of your contact coils in powered mode and you should be fine.

As for it jumping out of TC to power mode I've never had it happen myself. It could be a safety feature on some of the mods if something isn't working right.

Also if your looking to get rid of the metal flavor make sure you get SS316 or 317, don't use 304 cause it still has a metal taste to it. I run 316L myself, only problem I've had with it is trying to find 30awg to make some 3 core alien claptons. I can find just about every size from 22awg to 40awg but only one place I've found 30awg at so far and I don't like the hoops I have to jump threw just to get it from them at Temco since I'm in Canada.

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've used both TC and power with spaced and contact coils also and had no problems. Take your time and slowly work the hot spots out of your contact coils in powered mode and you should be fine.

As for it jumping out of TC to power mode I've never had it happen myself. It could be a safety feature on some of the mods if something isn't working right.

Also if your looking to get rid of the metal flavor make sure you get SS316 or 317, don't use 304 cause it still has a metal taste to it. I run 316L myself, only problem I've had with it is trying to find 30awg to make some 3 core alien claptons. I can find just about every size from 22awg to 40awg but only one place I've found 30awg at so far and I don't like the hoops I have to jump threw just to get it from them at Temco since I'm in Canada.

I found some on eBay, 30 AWG SS 316L won't let me link it though

VU Sponsors