Become a Patron!

SS twist coils

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just playing with options
Normally I would take one strand and twist it then twist another piece then twist them together BUT THAT made it hard to make tight wound coils so I just twisted 2 pieces together then wrapped 6.4 turns. Together I got 0.14ohms. I want to build something outside the sub ohm area to save on battery life use less wattage etc.

Anyways on wit the pics.
bd6d0f3afa84b213fe6957b370de480f.jpg
d2ec147acc77c908e23d66f37c7772da.jpg

Hope to get some good taste and cloud production.

Lastnight I made this single coil but it sucked. It was 3 strands twisted 6 times.
a57bd8e16ddf4760e585b2573ee93061.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It would take alot of wraps to get over 1 ohm with ss, especially with twisted. You might be able to get .5Ω decently, and that would help a bit, but over an ohm would be tough imo.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
if you want over 1 ohm use a thinner wire, less wraps, and don't twist it

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could do a 26/38 clapton. I'm still learning myself, but would be a good coil for flavor, vapour production and lower wattage too.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Will that give me best battery life running 1ohm setup, and can use less wattage?

higher ohms = less wattage/more battery life, less vapor and flavor
lower ohms = more wattage/less battery life, more vapor and flavor

I build between .1 and .2 ohms for all of my builds. usually I have to use around 80-140 watts and i'll burn through 2 sets of batteries a day with the exception of my aeronaut which i build around .17ohms with a tiny fused claptop which i can use at 65 watts and get a little more battery life.

Depends on the wire as well. basically more metal means you need more power to run it. You can build a really low ohm Ni coil for instance and use very little watts in temp mode but you won't get the vapor production. There isn't really a simple answer unless I have some constants like wire material and guage

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
higher ohms = less wattage/more battery life, less vapor and flavor
lower ohms = more wattage/less battery life, more vapor and flavor

I build between .1 and .2 ohms for all of my builds. usually I have to use around 80-140 watts and i'll burn through 2 sets of batteries a day with the exception of my aeronaut which i build around .17ohms with a tiny fused claptop which i can use at 65 watts and get a little more battery life.

Depends on the wire as well. basically more metal means you need more power to run it. You can build a really low ohm Ni coil for instance and use very little watts in temp mode but you won't get the vapor production. There isn't really a simple answer unless I have some constants like wire material and guage

The first statement is ONLY true for a Mech..... OHM rate and wattage affect juice and battery longevity they don't determine it.. Amp draw is what drain a battery and surface area is what consume juice.

I have 2 Kayfuns running one at .3ohms the other .4ohms....... Same 2x28 twisted 316L wire, twisted to pitch of .5mm. Both are 5 wraps. Differences...... .3ohm, coil is 2mm ID and runs at 15watts and 450 degrees in TC. The .4ohm coil is on a 2.5mm core needs a minimum of 20 watts and just barely hits 390 degrees, need 25 watts or so to get 450. The .4 coil uses juice and battery MUCH faster, almost 2x faster. Then there the .5ohm clapton coil in the Melo. It needs a minimum of 30 watts or so to make steam , and you can watch the juice level lower as you vape. I guess by this you could say more watts more juice. But more accurate would be more wire more juice.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Giving the twist coils a second chance.
After I figure why my limitless plus smells like chemicals.

Got 0.12ohms what should I start the temp at with these... SS316 mode?

7858a4384ea3f07ca17ec95790536e71.jpg

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The first statement is ONLY true for a Mech..... OHM rate and wattage affect juice and battery longevity they don't determine it.. Amp draw is what drain a battery and surface area is what consume juice.

I have 2 Kayfuns running one at .3ohms the other .4ohms....... Same 2x28 twisted 316L wire, twisted to pitch of .5mm. Both are 5 wraps. Differences...... .3ohm, coil is 2mm ID and runs at 15watts and 450 degrees in TC. The .4ohm coil is on a 2.5mm core needs a minimum of 20 watts and just barely hits 390 degrees, need 25 watts or so to get 450. The .4 coil uses juice and battery MUCH faster, almost 2x faster. Then there the .5ohm clapton coil in the Melo. It needs a minimum of 30 watts or so to make steam , and you can watch the juice level lower as you vape. I guess by this you could say more watts more juice. But more accurate would be more wire more juice.
you pretty much right, as i said before it's a basic outline. I guess for regulated mods a better way to say it is more metal = more watts = less battery life

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

always clean off a new RDA (or any tank etc) when you first get it as some still have machining oil on them.
As far as temp in SS mode, I'd say do 80 watts and 450F then adjust higher until you get what you want. If ramp up is slow, increase wattage, If the max output isn't enough vapor, increase temp.

Also FYI the G2 has a built in preheat that hits at the full 171 watts for a split second to help cut down on ramp up

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wicked. Filled tank and going to watch it wick up the juice.
e7f39454c2152760ab85f759da8fdf48.jpg

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
450 now hot enough for me, tried 510 degrees working. 90/10 pinup Betty clone juice. Tasting good. Still a slight off taste which is coming from the damn Oring but what can I do :(

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Wicked. Filled tank and going to watch it wick up the juice.
e7f39454c2152760ab85f759da8fdf48.jpg

make sure you have some air in the juice channels for the cotton to properly wick
450 now hot enough for me, tried 510 degrees working. 90/10 pinup Betty clone juice. Tasting good. Still a slight off taste which is coming from the damn Oring but what can I do :(

450 is a starting point, just keep raising it until you get what you want ;)
clean the o-ring

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
make sure you have some air in the juice channels for the cotton to properly wick

450 is a starting point, just keep raising it until you get what you want ;)
clean the o-ring
I have a bottle of stoli vodka should I put some in a shot glass and let the Orings sit for a few minutes....?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I have a bottle of stoli vodka should I put some in a shot glass and let the Orings sit for a few minutes....?

warm water works fine, you can use vodka, but I feel like thats a waste lol. My favorite (especially for cleaning up metal pieces) is white vinegar with a little salt mixed in and let it soak an hour. I use that for all my RDAs and back when I used mechs. makes it look brand new. I don't recommend using anything abrasive like vodka, vinegar, or alcohol on o-rings though. For o-rings just soap and water

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
warm water works fine, you can use vodka, but I feel like thats a waste lol. My favorite (especially for cleaning up metal pieces) is white vinegar with a little salt mixed in and let it soak an hour. I use that for all my RDAs and back when I used mechs. makes it look brand new. I don't recommend using anything abrasive like vodka, vinegar, or alcohol on o-rings though. For o-rings just soap and water
I would totally drink the shot glass afterwards Haha not going to waste my gogo juice! Anyways. I'll let the rings sit on soapy water over night tonight.
The rest if the tank smells fine it's just the rubber seals that don't smell right. This tank sucks up juice. Already filled up tank again this time with unicorn milk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I would totally drink the shot glass afterwards Haha not going to waste my gogo juice! Anyways. I'll let the rings sit on soapy water over night tonight.
The rest if the tank smells fine it's just the rubber seals that don't smell right. This tank sucks up juice. Already filled up tank again this time with unicorn milk

doesn't need to sit really, just run warm water put some soap in your hands with the orings and wash like you would your hands and make sure to rinse all the soap off (you don't want soapy flavored juice lol)

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
doesn't need to sit really, just run warm water put some soap in your hands with the orings and wash like you would your hands and make sure to rinse all the soap off (you don't want soapy flavored juice lol)
somethings not right there still smelly as fuck! especially the black ones that came pre-Installed!

Set all the stuff aside let it dry all day and use my RDA instead with these coils and G2

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
somethings not right there still smelly as fuck! especially the black ones that came pre-Installed!

Set all the stuff aside let it dry all day and use my RDA instead with these coils and G2
IDK, that's weird i never had smelly orings before but then again i don't have the limitless. I picked the avacado instead when I was deciding between the 2.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IDK, that's weird i never had smelly orings before but then again i don't have the limitless. I picked the avacado instead when I was deciding between the 2.
It's one of my juices. I recently got in a lot and forgot I ran the tank with something and it messed up the Orings big time. As for the extra Orings they just smell like plain old rubber. They smell better now that I washed them. But as for the blaxk Orings that is on the tank are all smelly. And smell like one of juices that I guess went sour.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It's one of my juices. I recently got in a lot and forgot I ran the tank with something and it messed up the Orings big time. As for the extra Orings they just smell like plain old rubber. They smell better now that I washed them. But as for the blaxk Orings that is on the tank are all smelly. And smell like one of juices that I guess went sour.

juices usually last for a year, never heard of one going sour so quick unless you leave it in your car on a hot day

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
juices usually last for a year, never heard of one going sour so quick unless you leave it in your car on a hot day
All my juices sit in closet on the floor away from my 1 year old son, and in the cold. No sunlight, no heat.

No reason for this one juice to go bad not sure maybe bad ingredients? Sucks because when I first got it 2 weeks ago it was fantastic! Then just the last 4 days it started smelling bad.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
All my juices sit in closet on the floor away from my 1 year old son, and in the cold. No sunlight, no heat.

No reason for this one juice to go bad not sure maybe bad ingredients? Sucks because when I first got it 2 weeks ago it was fantastic! Then just the last 4 days it started smelling bad.

Not normal at all, are you sure it's the juice that smells bad? what juice is it?

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Back to coil talk.

Should the inner part of a Clapton be 316SS or kanthal A1 26g and as for the outside wrap, should I go with kanthal or SS and what gauge?
I have Prebuilt Claptons now and there a work horse. probably because there 26g/32g kanthal/kanthal. There also 4mm diameter which is just too fat for some of my tanks.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Back to coil talk.

Should the inner part of a Clapton be 316SS or kanthal A1 26g and as for the outside wrap, should I go with kanthal or SS and what gauge?
I have Prebuilt Claptons now and there a work horse. probably because there 26g/32g kanthal/kanthal. There also 4mm diameter which is just too fat for some of my tanks.

What are you trying to achieve dude?

VAPE ON

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Try 410 degrees Fahrenheit and move up to 450 degrees..... Somewhere in between will be good. .....

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have these (8) wrap 316L 4.5mm diameter, they ohm at .20 I'm running on my RX200 SS mode TC it preheats at 250 watts for .15 seconds and fires down from 250 degrees very rapidly as long as you hold the button or protection starts working......
IMAG1961_1.jpgIMAG1962_1.jpg

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VU Sponsors