Become a Patron!

Stainless Steel rusting?

Zyed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anyone notice when you glow ss too much it begins to give a reddish/orange tint to the cotton?

I'm using clear juice and its not like gunk from use, it comes from just priming it and within the first 20 hits its got a real big area of red in it and the coil is the culprit. New wick new juice and it happens with any juice I use.

I notice if I'm really careful when dry firing the SS coil this doesn't happen for a long time. But if I accidentally make it glow kinda bright then it starts to happen pretty soon afterwards.

The throat hit isn't increased per se, but my throat feels scratchy and dry after I use this coil. This has been experienced multiple times with different ss coils I've experienced this "rusting" with over a period of time so getting sick isn't the problem.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Over-oxidation from overheating - it can happen with other metals, too, but nichrome and kanthal can take more heat before it happens

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
There are heating color charts. Those colors are from stages in heating. Basically I find I just turn my light of, pinch and pull a tiny bit and I'm good. When I wick, the coils for the most part have most of the color from pulsing low, or fast.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors