Become a Patron!

Starter Kits

TxThumper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm thinking of trying diy. do any of you have any experience with the starter kit from nicotine river?
https://www.nicotineriver.com/products/eliquid-diy-kit
is this a good kit, or do you guys know of a better one? I'm also interested in flavoring brands. I've been seeing a lot of recipes that use flavor art, and the flavor apprentice. do any of you use capella brand flavoring?
Advice and thoughts are welcome.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
flavor art, and the flavor apprentice. do any of you use capella brand flavoring?
These are my most used brands of flavorings, and in that order. I'm seeing more and more fans of Capella, lately.

On the starter kit note, I never got one. I liked picking and choosing everything I needed, based on what I thought I'd use most, but honestly, I can't say I recall seeing kits around, then, either. And that was only 3.5 years ago.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm thinking of trying diy. do any of you have any experience with the starter kit from nicotine river?
https://www.nicotineriver.com/products/eliquid-diy-kit
is this a good kit, or do you guys know of a better one? I'm also interested in flavoring brands. I've been seeing a lot of recipes that use flavor art, and the flavor apprentice. do any of you use capella brand flavoring?
Here I go again. http://vapingunderground.com/threads/guide-to-mixing-by-weight.22891/

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

If it were me, (Cheap Basta$d) I think I would wait a bit to determine if NR is having a Labor Day sale.

I have no idea what your DIY goals or preferred vape juices are, but I would concentrate my flavor selections on the more expensive FA & RF. Find recipes you believe you will enjoy and order the flavors to accomplish them.

There are items in the kit I personally would probably not use.

Do you think you will be happy using their NicSelect nicotine? (Search/check Forum nicotine reviews)

Ron
---
"If you're going to do something tonight that you'll be sorry for tomorrow morning, sleep late."- Henny Youngman

TxThumper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thanks for the tips everyone. it will probably be September when I start mixing, so i'll definitely look around the forum, and try to learn all I can.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I always like to recommend the DIY Starter Kit from Liquid Barn because for the price of a couple of 30ML bottles at the local retail you get everything you need to make over 1,400 MLs of liquids plus all the lab-ware to get you going.

jazzman

"I'm Old, Fat and Ugly with a crappy attitude!
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like people have said, Don't waste your money on kit's. It might look like a good deal but you will get things that you will not use. You can buy beakers, gloves and a scale on Amazon plus bottles.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In the Liquid Barn Starter Kit there is nothing at all that I received that I have not used. What is it that some people think it contains you will never use?

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
the kits are getting better these days, you at least get to choose the flavoring you want. I remember they used to be mostly pre packed things and you got to choose your catagory I guess you would call it, tobacco, bakery, fruit, etc and they would pick what goes in it.......... I personally recommend the bull city community packs found here http://www.bullcityflavors.com/community-recipe-packs/ these are all recipes with the flavors you need to make those recipes. you could spend 50 or 60 bucks on a kit guessing what you need or buy a handful of recipe packs from tried and true recipes that have stood the test of time from many of the top mixers from everywhere, not just VU to kinda jump start your DIY adventure. like game over custard maybe if thats your thing ;)

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I started with a kit, Liquid Barn's. I wouldn't recommend that kit simply because the only flavors available for it are LBs proprietary ones, and there are very few published recipes for them. Creating your own recipes is like the next level after simply learning the mechanics of mixing, so the LB kit is sort of forcing you into a higher skill set you may not be ready for. Which is not to say their flavors are bad! In fact some are very good, but as a new DIYer you'd be better off starting out by picking some recipes that sound good to you and then choosing those flavors with your kit.

The Nicotine River link you posted will allow you to do that. It's a good looking kit at a great price, 15 flavors of your choice to start you off + all the other stuff for 50 bucks is a great deal. I wish it had been available when I started out. Chasing down all that stuff from various sources is going to take time and $hipping fees, why not get it once and be done with it? Once it's in your hands, you'll be able to figure out which direction you want to go.

Many folks will tell you "You don't need a kit, there's stuff in there you'll never use". They are speaking from their own mixing preferences. You don't yet have a preference, and a kit is a logical way to get quickly on the road to developing one. My recommendation would be to search out some recipes you want to make, pick up that Nic River kit with those flavors, and also pick up an LB501 scale. With that gear, you'll be good to go in any direction you want, for well under a hundred bucks.

Last edited:

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What is it that some people think it contains you will never use?

Intro to DIY Starter manual
-Liquid Barn DIY mixing mat
-Liquid Barn blank label sheets
-eLiquid Kit Manual
-2x Twist-Open caps
-Labware Kit Manual
-Safety Gloves (5 pairs) (5?)
-100ml Beaker (2x) (one would be plenty)
-1ml Luer-slip Syringe (10x) (2-3 would be plenty for me)
-Electric eLiquid Mixer

https://www.liquidbarn.com/products/starter-kit

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not one thing I got in the kit was not or will not be used.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In the Liquid Barn Starter Kit there is nothing at all that I received that I have not used.

Not one thing I got in the kit was not or will not be used.

" or will not be used" ??

That seems different to me than what you said In your first post (# 14 )

You have owned this "Starter kit" since you started to DIY For what...1 1/2 years? What have you not yet used in that time? :popcorn:

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Intro to DIY Starter manual
-Liquid Barn DIY mixing mat
-Liquid Barn blank label sheets
-eLiquid Kit Manual
-2x Twist-Open caps
-Labware Kit Manual
-Safety Gloves (5 pairs) (5?)
-100ml Beaker (2x) (one would be plenty)
-1ml Luer-slip Syringe (10x) (2-3 would be plenty for me)
-Electric eLiquid Mixer

https://www.liquidbarn.com/products/starter-kit
The manuals and mixing mat went in the trash. I did read them first. I didn't count them as "items", more like accessories.
I used the labels, but already had thousands more just like them.
Still have the gloves.
I'd have traded 9 of the 1 ml syringes for a couple more of the 5 and 10 ml, since I mainly use syringes for transferring, not measuring. The two big ones supplied in the kit are still in use. I only got 1 of each 5 and 10 ml :( .
My nephew liked the mixer, so I gave it to him. He played with it till the batteries died, lord only knows where it is now.
The grad. cylinders and beakers are around somewhere. They only got used a few times before the scale arrived and rendered them obsolete.
The bottles the VG/PG came in are very nice (color coded :) ) I still use them.
My kit had 10x 15ml HDPE bottles, not 5x 30 ml Gorillas. They're retired because they're a different style of cap and tip than the hundreds of bottles I've got now and it's a hassle to find their pieces in the single large container where I dump all my bottles/caps/tips.
Sadly, I have to add "flavorings" to your list. The only one I've used up completely is the Sweetener, and a third of the Butterscotch Graham Tobacco. The others I only dabbled with and are still mostly full.

Last edited:

TxThumper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the help everyone. I've decided to get a small batch of stuff to try mixing, before I buy large amounts of anything. I have a question. if the nicotine comes in a vg base, do I still need to buy more vg? I'm shooting for 70/30, or 80/20. I'm going to try a simple recipe, pineapple, mango, and strawberry.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for all the help everyone. I've decided to get a small batch of stuff to try mixing, before I buy large amounts of anything. I have a question. if the nicotine comes in a vg base, do I still need to buy more vg? I'm shooting for 70/30, or 80/20. I'm going to try a simple recipe, pineapple, mango, and strawberry.
Depends on the nicotine content in the VG, 9 of out 10 chances are YES, you should buy VG.

VU Sponsors