Become a Patron!

Step up from SSFC for flavor: suggestions?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
After having successfully made at least some advanced coil builds (staple staggered fused claptons, aliens) aiming mainly for flavor, I am at a loss about what to try next. I've seen countless pictures of fancy builds and watched dozens of build video tutorials, but for my personal use I always keep coming back to the staple staggered fused clapton for that warm, wet vape with fairly big dense clouds as that's how I currently best enjoy flavor so... any suggestions?

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Oh man ... The top tier is aliened framed staples, most top builders will tell you its their favorite and that's where most of this flavor/heat/efficiency tops out at it. I either have those on my tubes or staggertons 24/7

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh man ... The top tier is aliened framed staples, most top builders will tell you its their favorite and that's where most of this flavor/heat/efficiency tops out at it. I either have those on my tubes or staggertons 24/7

Thank you for your reply. I haven't tried staggertons yet─aren't SSFCs known for being a step up from those?

As for aliened framed staples, or 'fraliens'... I've only managed to make (successfully) two alien coils as for the past 6-7 months I have been getting them for free. I know whiteowl keeps talking about 'floating' your ribbon stack in between the frames, but I still can't seem to figure it out.

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thank you for your reply. I haven't tried staggertons yet─aren't SSFCs known for being a step up from those?

As for aliened framed staples, or 'fraliens'... I've only managed to make (successfully) two alien coils as for the past 6-7 months I have been getting them for free. I know whiteowl keeps talking about 'floating' your ribbon stack in between the frames, but I still can't seem to figure it out.
Honestly... Not in my opinion.
Onto what my bro danny (whiteowl) mentioned , I can post pictures for you if you would like bro or video. Absolutely no problem for me to help I'm at my desk now

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd say the staggerton was a step up from the SSFC cause of the parallel Clapton you need down around the staple to get the staggerton. How I see it anyway.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Yes correct, I believe the more exposed frames ramp the core faster (especially if using say 28G SS) they are such a good vape

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not something I can pull off myself yet and I haven't been very active with the drill recently :/ I'll get there soon hopefully cause I really like the look of the alien staggertons :)

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Honestly... Not in my opinion.
Onto what my bro danny (whiteowl) mentioned , I can post pictures for you if you would like bro or video. Absolutely no problem for me to help I'm at my desk now

Thanks again. I look forward to your helping me out.

I only have Kanthal A1 ribbon wire and Nichrome80 wrap wire, though. Also I have no idea how to get these coil builds to ohm out nice for use on a mech... alien builds for me have always been at .1 - .11 ohms on a single VTC5A.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you're looking to get higher ohms I'd say try using smaller core wires, with more wraps. Helped me to not bottom out on the ohms like

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you're looking to get higher ohms I'd say try using smaller core wires, with more wraps. Helped me to not bottom out on the ohms like

Nah... there's no need to aim for higher ohms IMO (excepting on my stacked mech mods).

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I wouldn't use fraliens on a mech then if the only ribbon you have is Kanthal.
I use 6 ply .3 SS ribbon with 28G SS frames, and 40G SS alien .07 duals
Staggertons is same setup except I like using 42G SS for stagg and fuse, .07 duals

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ok, this is it. I use 1 slider in the center... You will realize later on that one isn't needed tho but for now it will give you peace of mind and teach you patience and importance of prep.
At the end you will bring the 2 legs together with wrap wire and dab glue on it you will clamp to that.
e93076a75bdb295ddefe5024ad3a712e.jpg
58ecf015a948475a796f8d94b401a0ea.jpg
645e0d11e1a317177b401c72face4415.jpg

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
You put a 26G decore 40G alien on that and well... It just doesn't get any better

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, I much appreciate this.
I wouldn't use fraliens on a mech then if the only ribbon you have is Kanthal.
I use 6 ply .3 SS ribbon with 28G SS frames, and 40G SS alien .07 duals
Staggertons is same setup except I like using 42G SS for stagg and fuse, .07 duals

Wouldn't it be possible to get fraliens (or staggertons) using Kanthal ribbon / Ni80 wrap to ohm out nice for a stacked mech? I have several stacked mechs of various sizes as well as some 30mm RDAs each one of which offers different coil mounting options (Temple NP, Deathtrap, Buddha V4, Mason ltd. ed. V2, Mason Gemini Series II with the ltd. ed. postless deck).

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Would have to ask someone more experienced with running (series I believe?) builds. Maybe if it's .3 kanthal ribbon.
Kanthal just takes to damn long to ramp up to be useful on single battery tubes. You can make some great fraliens with kanthal tho , I just made a couple sets today and few pairs was for my wife she uses a regulated mod and these work great 30G ka1 frames, 6x .3 ka1 ribbon and 40G kanthal D alien .15ish duals

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Would have to ask someone more experienced with running (series I believe?) builds. Maybe if it's .3 kanthal ribbon.
Kanthal just takes to damn long to ramp up to be useful on single battery tubes. You can make some great fraliens with kanthal tho , I just made a couple sets today and few pairs was for my wife she uses a regulated mod and these work great 30G ka1 frames, 6x .3 ka1 ribbon and 40G kanthal D alien .15ish duals

I have .3 Kanthal ribbon. The highest gauge wrap wire I have is 40g Ni80.

A few days ago I made 'trigertons'. The cores are three tiger strands in parallel, each strand consisting of 28g Kanthal / .3 Kanthal ribbon... I then fused them together by claptoning 38g Ni80 around them. Dual coil ohms out at .24 ohms in the Buddha V4:

trigertons.jpg

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No idea man... 90% of my wire comes from coil society

Trouble is... I live across the pond (Belgium). Can't seem to find any SS 316L ribbon smaller than .5 so I'm at a loss again.

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Oh shit, think a homie on IG "dutchohms" lives in Holland, he is a hell of a builder might see who he uses

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh shit, think a homie on IG "dutchohms" lives in Holland, he is a hell of a builder might see who he uses

He's a member on here too. Last time I remember him posting here on the forum was when he replied to me my XXX stack was dope. :)

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Trouble is... I live across the pond (Belgium). Can't seem to find any SS 316L ribbon smaller than .5 so I'm at a loss again.
I know the crazy wire company in Britain stock all different sizes, I got .3x.1 ss316l ribbon there about a month back, pretty sure they do worldwide delivery too. Bonus about them that I love is with every order they send you some of their other wire to try out and some free cotton too.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I know the crazy wire company in Britain stock all different sizes, I got .3x.1 ss316l ribbon there about a month back, pretty sure they do worldwide delivery too. Bonus about them that I love is with every order they send you some of their other wire to try out and some free cotton too.

Well the owner of my go to B&M store said he wasn't too happy with them. According to him he paid for an order he never received... he said he contacted them about that, but they never even bothered to reply.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ah fair does. I've never had an order go missing or even had to contact them before about anything. I can't help any further than that then sorry. Since they started expanding their wire collections I don't find a need to try elsewhere as their prices are quite competitive. That may change if I get fucked about though lol

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ah fair does. I've never had an order go missing or even had to contact them before about anything. I can't help any further than that then sorry. Since they started expanding their wire collections I don't find a need to try elsewhere as their prices are quite competitive. That may change if I get fucked about though lol

I would grab my chance and order from them, but I can't see .3 ribbon listed anywhere on that page I linked. lol :S

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't use the site myself, do it all through eBay as it's easiest for me

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They must be out of a lot of ribbon as only ni80 and FeCrAl ribbon are showing up for .3 ribbon on their eBay site

VU Sponsors