Become a Patron!

Still not smoking after 4 years

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got in to vaping by accident because someone gave me a crappy ecig. I didn't need to smoke while it lasted, which wasn't long, 2 hours. I was spending maybe $350 a month on Morleys. I hated that crappy ecig, but I knew there had to be a better way. Turned out it was just going to cost money. Thing was, smoking was already costing me a lot of money, and my health into the deal. So I got this cheap ego/clearo rig, and a spare battery, and that didn't satisfy. It lasted all day, but it was just.. meh. The juice I got from the guy who sold me the cheap rig sucked too.

It was about more money. You get what you pay for. I didn't get that at first with vaping, I was just trying to cut back on spending. Thing is, you get what you pay for, but more to the point, you get what you put your effort into. Not needing to smoke while the vape lasted was the motivation, and I really needed to quit smoking. So I really needed a better vape. This became my focus. Satisfaction. If it didn't satisfy I'd just go back to smoking. I could NOT go back to smoking, the health problems were starkly apparent. Sooooo....

Starting looking for better hardware. Better atomizers, better mods, better juice, better anything. Went through a serious array of hardware and disappointments. Ran into a crowd of vaping geeks, who, as it turned out, had no better idea what they were doing than I did and were just trying to be cool. Screw that, I had a real reason for going after this! But then what they were into was mechs and gennies. So I looked into that. Looking back on that now I can see they were idiots, but at the time I opted into the hardware anyway.

They were just trying to be cool, and went about it in a very wrong way, which is sad because had they had brains they would have been onto something. They were all about cultural affectation and posing.
They would tilt their mechs and gennies high into the air while posing and gesticulating, blowing what clouds they could. Pretty silly stuff. Had they known what they were doing none of that would have been necessary.

They all believed, at that time, that gennies were the coolest thing in vaping, but you had to tilt them high to get them to work and you have to tinker with them for long hours as well, which, it turns out is not at all true if you have them set up right. Those guys could not set them up right.

They pushed this into a cultural affectation of pointing their mechs at the ceiling as they hauled on them, and I could not help noting the "getting it up" metaphor as they were all males. Well, I wasn't male, but I could see something in this.

I got into the mech and gennie thing on my own without their input, largely because of how comical they came off to me, and because I could see the potential in the hardware. I got my first mech, in short order, and my first genny not long after. Then it was about learning to build a genny right. They were no help, they rolled shitty spindly wicks and wound sloppy crappy coils they worked long hours on their builds and rejoiced over them when they worked well enough to get anything out of, because they were totally gacked up on whoop chicken in the first place and ripping off their vape shops anyway. They all got fired.

About this time I was being seriously ripped off for juice at a local vendor where a male employee took to hating me for reasons of his own, and treated me real nasty whenever I came into the store, and I got deep into DIY to stop paying his store $80 a week for juice. I came up with a juice better than anything they had. It's my ADV today.

Meanwhile I pursued the mech and gennie thing. I ordered mesh online, I ordered kanthal, I sat down and wound coils, rolled wicks, worked at it, did my best to perfect it, changed mesh, changed kanthal, developed skills, worked at uniform wicks and coils, just plain worked it. My first gennie was a piece of crap, but I learned to build on it, and got it working pretty well. The mech I had it on was not much better, but it got me started.

Then... I discovered authentics.

This was about the time I happened into a real job that paid real money. It was also about the time they quit making Poldiacs and put them all on clearance. I had settled on top/side button mechs already. I didn't like bottom button mechs at all. I like to set my mech down without it firing. The Poldiac was the thing for me. Turned out the MMV DID was also the thing for me. Basic, solid, simple and easy to build on. I gotta love those Greek guys!

I eagerly bought up every one of them I could, very fast, along with the biggest raft of spare parts I could afford from MMV. The Greek financial crisis has done MMV in, but it vastly boosted my vaping life. I bought every Poldiac and DID I could get my mitts on, bought a couple authentic Krakens too, and continued improving my building techniques. I got the last Uma Classic Poldiac MMV ever sold. I pursued this into a collection of Poldiacs I continue to expand. There may well be better mechs, but I know this mech very well, and have become very fond of it. I'm expecting my eighth Poldiac soon, and have word of several more in Eastern Europe I may be able to get.

My vaping course is not for everyone, but I'm very happy in it.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
:finger:

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Congrats, and welcome aboard......:vino:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great story.

Myself, I've only been vaping just a little over a year and 1/2. I've fallen pretty deep and pretty fast though, first started out as just to get off the Stinkies but rapidly morphed into an obsession and hobby, I love it. My only regret is that I waited way too long, I wish I got into it in it's early stages. But better late then never as the saying goes.

Welcome aboard :cheers:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to VU! Congrats on pursuing what satisfied you and got you away from the stinkies!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome! Just a bit over 2 1/2 yrs here (vaping for a bit over 3 yrs), and loving every minute of it. Sometimes I still can't believe I don't smoke anymore, and don't miss it a bit. And sometimes I can't believe I willingly inhaled poison for 39 yrs and enjoyed the hell out of it, usually.

I'm a very low-intensity vaper, 10w or less, 2 ohms, about 5ml per day of 3mg DIY -- thx to my asthma; unlike most asthmatics who've switched, I really haven't seen any improvements in my asthma, in fact I wheeze MORE and it's a lot harder to cough and clear the wheeze, without all that mucus in there, but I figure it's worth it, a) not to be adding to my cancer/COPD risk with every puff, b) not to reek like an ashtray, and c) to save all this money. :)

Andria

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Welcome aboard totally agree about the aspect of learning, wanting to better yourself there are so many different things to try in vaping it really is a hobby :cheers:

Sounds like you also have a deeper grievance with those other guys ;)

VU Sponsors