Become a Patron!

Storing and using nicotine safely?

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've officially placed my order for my DIY supplies this morning. After reading the sticky about nicotine I'm a little freaked out lol What precautions do you guys use when making ejuice? Do you wear a mask,suit and gloves? or do you just be really careful? I think I've put off the DIY thing for so long out of fear about this kinda thing. Also I remember reading that nic should be refrigerated is that correct? What should I know to ensure my safety?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The only time I wear gloves is when I'm decanting my 100 mg nic from 1 liter jugs to smaller bottles for storage/use. What I'm not using I keep in the freezer. My working bottle I just keep in my closet, others will refrigerate that.

The first few times I mixed, I wore gloves. Now, I don't bother. I have my choice of three sinks within 25 feet of my mixing room if I was to have an oops. You would have to bathe or drink 100 mg nic for it cause harm. If you get a little on you just wash it off. Just keep it away from any kids or critters you have crawling around your house.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I've officially placed my order for my DIY supplies this morning. After reading the sticky about nicotine I'm a little freaked out lol What precautions do you guys use when making ejuice? Do you wear a mask,suit and gloves? or do you just be really careful? I think I've put off the DIY thing for so long out of fear about this kinda thing. Also I remember reading that nic should be refrigerated is that correct? What should I know to ensure my safety?

For your eyes wearing protective eye wear is a must, that nicotine will burn like hell. Gloves are also a must especially when handling 25 to 100 or more mg nicotine so it does not absorb through your skin.

Children, and animals should not be around you also when handling Nicotine.

If storing Nicotine for a long time you can put in the frig or freeze it.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I store mine in a lock-box in the freezer. When mixing I where disposable gloves and a dust mask. If you got 100mg you dont want to breathe it.

I mix by weight and have a gorilla bottle for dispensing when I mix. When I'm done I squeeze out the air and cap it. Then it goes back in the lock box in the freezer. It does not freeze solid.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm a safety freak so I will get all the items mentioned. Mask,gloves,eyewear..hoping the mask and eyewear is available at Princess Auto here in Canada..gloves are available everywhere. Thanks guys.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
how would one clean up a spill if that were to happen? paper towel? dishrag? garbage?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
how would one clean up a spill if that were to happen? paper towel? dishrag? garbage?
Paper towels would be best to absorb with putting them when done in a few plastic shopping bags with tying a knot then throw in trash for a end user.

Vendors who mix here in the US are (suppose) to use a special trash can for hazard waste with being hauled off by a outside Co.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I, personally, use gloves and eye wear. If any gets anywhere else it will not absorb before I am able to wash it off. I also mix my PG/VG/Nic in larger 500ml batches so that I don't have to work with the Nic in concentrated form so much. It also helps when you need to dilute a mix that came out too strong to have that pre-made.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I store my bottles of nic in a plastic bag in the deep freeze. The only time I use gloves is when I change it into a new container. I used to when I first started mixing, but not so much anymore. Eye wear, well I have glasses, so I kinda can't take those off when mixing. If it gets on your skin, just wash 'er off real good. Grats on starting to DIY, I look forward to what you'll make :vino:

EDIT auto correct x2

Last edited:

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I keep my nicotine in the freezer. I have a 20ml I keep out in my closet for mixing. I don’t wear any protective equipment when mixing. I’ve had nicotine get on my hands a few times and I just rinse them off with water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You'll notice that there are two answers.
1. The right answer of using ALL proper protective equipment ALL the time and properly handling of it.
2. What people do once they become comfortable with something.
#2 is NOT recommended however just like safety guards on equipment that get removed or altered to ease the use of said equipment, it is NOT a good idea and we tend to get lazy sometimes on properly following instruction.
The right answer is certainly #1 though.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I work with 48MG base all the time and I do not wear gloves or have a shit fit if I get it on my hands. For shits and giggles I actually vaped it straight to see WTF it was like. Sure it was a heavy head rush but I did not OD and have to run to First Med~! Lighten the fuck up, be careful but even working with 100MG, normal safe procedures is all that is required. If you are freaking now NEVER Order pure nicotine~!

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What should I know to ensure my safety?

If you are going to split the nic. you got into several bottles, make sure you shake it really well before doing so. Of course, shaking it (and flavors) well before anytime you dispense/mix is very important also.

Ron
---
"He who takes the wrong road, makes the journey twice." -Paladin" (Have Gun - Will Travel) 1960

VapinMoody

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Use gloves and safety glasses until you are comfortable with your mixing tactics....keep a window open just to keep any fumes in check. I have spilled a whole 2-drops of 100mg. nicotine in 3.75 years of mixing, but I did use gloves the first time because of all the "OMG your going to die" comments from people...lol

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Matty Vapes what nicotine strength did you order?

If it was 48MG or less take an ML squirt it into your hands and rub them together like hand sanitizer. Then when you just have what feels like 90W gear lube on your hands you will say WTF is all this BS about being so freaking careful with nicotine. I bet the nicotine burns less than hand santizer does.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Remember that guy that died mixing juice?

Me neither, cuz it's never happened. :p

Make sure kids can't get ahold of it. Make sure it's well marked where ever you store it, especially in the freezer, so nobody drinks it. Same as you do for vendor juice, I hope.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Remember that guy that died mixing juice?
Me neither, cuz it's never happened. :p
Make sure kids can't get ahold of it. Make sure it's well marked where ever you store it, especially in the freezer, so nobody drinks it. Same as you do for vendor juice, I hope.

That is not mixing that is storing and handling a Toxic Material and if you don't have that common sense you should not be able to purchase the substance.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a big difference in what people do once they get lazy and stop following safety precautions and what we should post in here for all the beginners that don't know.
It could easily be misunderstood and someone could have a huge issue.
It is our responsibility as experienced vapers to provide the RIGHT answer.
What they do with the info later is up to them.
But telling someone they do not need to take precautionary safety measures with chemicals (regardless of the level of danger) is NOT the right thing for us to do.
Remember these posts show up for ALL to read, not just for those that have been vaping for a long time.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a big difference in what people do once they get lazy and stop following safety precautions and what we should post in here for all the beginners that don't know.
It could easily be misunderstood and someone could have a huge issue.
It is our responsibility as experienced vapers to provide the RIGHT answer.
What they do with the info later is up to them.
But telling someone they do not need to take precautionary safety measures with chemicals (regardless of the level of danger) is NOT the right thing for us to do.
Remember these posts show up for ALL to read, not just for those that have been vaping for a long time.

Yeah, we should all be scaring the shit out of people. :rolleyes:

Example:

After reading the sticky about nicotine I'm a little freaked out

I think I've put off the DIY thing for so long out of fear about this kinda thing.

It ain't a big deal.

You go ahead and scare people into believing they might die if they DIY. I'm going to be honest about it. But go ahead and rant if it makes you feel important. When people are afraid to make juice because of the fear mongering from internet hero's, I think it's gone a bit too far. ;)

And for the record, I didn't start out believing that stuff to begin with. I was lazy from day one.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Matty, I'm a klutz, and I was nervous mixing with 100mg/ml base at first, too. Two things I always do: work near a sink and wear glasses. Sink makes cleanup easy in case of a spill. I managed to get nic in my eye once, and it sure did sting, so I'm now in the habit of protecting my eyes. I used gloves at first, but it just made me more klutzy, so that didn't last long. If it makes you more comfortable, you can dilute it ALL down to 50mg/ml or 25mg/ml (or even less) just so you're less nervous the next time you have to mess with it. You'll be fine!

meh, the risks especially on forums and in the early days of self mixing were / are made out to be much worse than they are.

there's a reason the nicotine content is set at 100mg in the US and was 72mg in the UK, because at such levels its fairly harmless.

it's pretty much no different to having a bottle of bleach in your bathroom, or any number of toxic chemicals you likely have in your home, it's only really an issue if you guzzle a mouthful or two, spill a bit on yourself? just wash it off, no harm done.

people talk as though they are handling pure nicotine when using this stuff.

VU Sponsors