Become a Patron!

SUB OHM RTA WARS.....

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well it's not really a category. Seems sub ohm tanks, clearomizers... are all the rage. But it seems RTAs are right behind them. Bigger coils, lower ohms, more power, more vapor. Clearos with RBAs are cute, but way too small. The decks limit what can be built. And in order to accommodate pre made coils and RBAs compromises must be made. RTAs are not new, but they are new to me. If I'm going to build, I want a bigger deck, and I don't care about pre made coils. RTAs have lots of choices. Billows, Bellus, Aromamizer, Crius just to name a few.

So let's have a thread that compares them all....

The Crius has been a huge hit. What matters the most is performance. The dual coil velocity deck can hold respectable coils. And the flavor is second to none... well to some. Thats what matters. I got a couple Criuses. I love the top fill the way it is done. No screwing, just pull it open. I never had a leak there. But if it did leak, it would be air, which would cause juice to drain out. There has been issues with leaks, but it is a great RTA. And again, how it performs is great.

The Griffin is new. I got one of those because I wanted bigger coils. So far, it is very nice. I need more time with it, but so far there is a lot to like. The quality is great. The deck is much bigger. Some are fitting claptons on the velocity style deck. And it seems better built. The only down side is the 3.5 ml capacity. The tank is no bigger than most. So to fit a bigger deck, it is at the expense of capacity. But why complain over 0.5 ml?

And then the point of the recent surge.... bigger is better. I also got a VCMT in 25mm. It's a beast. 6-7 ml capacity, with an even bigger deck. You can fit some really big coils in it. I am running 9/10 wrap 24g at 3mm. I could easily do 3.5mm... and more wraps or bigger gage. Obviously claptons are no problem. It has massive air flow to match. And if that isn't big enough for you, you can always get the 30mm version with a 10ml capacity. That's a little ridiculous to me, but they are selling. The only real down side is you have to empty the tank to get to the coils. The glass is not captured by top/bottom rings, so it will come apart. But it is an awesome tank that you can build anything on.

So what do you have... or what do you want? Who will be crowned the winner? I think really it is us. A market flooded with numerous great tanks is definitely a win for us.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ya, but then a orphaned son will be raised by a blind Kung Fu master and return to avenge their deaths. Until then, we have some great rebuildable tanks to use.

Reactions: Jah

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i have a crius.
its my first true rta. ITS OK
I get seepage like others
I do not like the top fill
the oring around it gets messed up and i have to fiddle around to close it. if you dont hold it at the right angle or you rjuice bottle has a huge tip, juice runs out it while your fillling
if i forget to close the juice flow while filling it leaks all over my mod form the afc.
other than that
its great
flavor is good
its easy to build on, especially for a noob like me. but fitting claptons seems impossible atm for myself. i know others have done it. but a bigger deck would be nice.

Therefore griffin looks like the next choice for me, but im holding off to see more user info on indulgences 2 rta's
and the geekvape avacodo which i think is a genny

otherwise i may hold off till the next NEW thing hits

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So the avocado.... Is that what "Genesis" style is? I don't know. Tank on bottom, wick hanging down? That's kinda interesting.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i believe that is what a genny style is. but the only photos of it are on geekvapes site and they arent that clear on how to wick that thing with a dual coil build.
SO im waiting for videos and reviews to see how it is suppose to work. Im too much of a noob on building to figure it out

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i believe that is what a genny style is. but the only photos of it are on geekvapes site and they arent that clear on how to wick that thing with a dual coil build.
SO im waiting for videos and reviews to see how it is suppose to work. Im too much of a noob on building to figure it out
don't bother it's an outdated style of vaping for total tools.......like me.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
don't bother it's an outdated style of vaping for total tools.......like me.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I own almost all the newer RTA's and each of them is great in there own way...so far my favorite is the Crius V3 but I modded mine to my needs. The Aromamizer has a bigger deck but the chimney is too small and the wicking method sucks TBH. The griffin and VCMT 25mm I have on the way and Im sure they will be the best after testing...

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I own almost all the newer RTA's and each of them is great in there own way...so far my favorite is the Crius V3 but I modded mine to my needs. The Aromamizer has a bigger deck but the chimney is too small and the wicking method sucks TBH. The griffin and VCMT 25mm I have on the way and Im sure they will be the best after testing...
What mods have you made to your Crius?

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I have a number of RTAs. I will list them each seperately in my order of preference:

1. Haze Dripper RTA - absolutely my favorite RTA. You can build dual vertical, single 3mm alien, whatever. Never get a dry hit. Never leaks. Tastes like a flavor RDA - just excellent. Does not hold a lot of juice but easy peasy to refill. Closest of all my RTAs to a RDA by far.

2. Crius V3 is great. I really cannot find a fault with it other than size - I like my RTAs very small. But hey - it works and builds like a dream.

3. Aromamizer is quite nice. Falvor is not quite up to the top two and the air flow adjustment is just silly looking. I don't use it anyway as I like it wide open and I have a .09 build in it - yep that is not an error. Vape it at 60+ watts as a rule. No dry hits at all and no leaking.

4. Bellus is a flavor RTA but it leaks like an SOB is hard to wick and hard to build on. I want to like it because it tastes great but I hate carrying the bloody thing around. It even leaks when sitting on the table doing nothing. And don't tell me it is how I wick it. I've been around the block a few times.

5, I love the Goblin Mini but I will not use it anymore. I cannot stand the way you refill the tank. And it doesn't hold enough juice to make refilling it every hour worth it. That tiny screw drives me crazy.

Now of course this is all subjective guys. Don't hate. Just my overview is all.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I passed on the Crius. I have a Griffin on its way, it looks well put together. Can't wait to try it out...Never heard of the VCTM so I just googled it. Looks good, but 65 bucks is too rich for me.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i only have one subtank and it's the kangertech subtank mini V2. I only use the RBA deck and have three RBA heads and a spare base I use to rebuild my families RBA heads. works well doesn't leak simple fill. I will buy more of them soon. I want a SS version to go with an IPV D3 in silver or the SS kangertech kbox

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ya, I had a STM. Fine for what it is, but it has been left in the dust. The RBA was a pain, but was better than pre-made coils. The Crown kills it. But if all you do is build, do your self a favor and get a RTA. There is so much better out there than the STM regardless of version. And for the same price. That's what's funny... Much better, for the same price.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the advice I have about 11 modded orchids and right now my work horse is a billow v2. But I thought this was a Subtank war thread meaning regular rebuild able tanks aren't being addressed here.

If that is the case I vote for a billow v2

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for the advice I have about 11 modded orchids and right now my work horse is a billow v2. But I thought this was a Subtank war thread meaning regular rebuild able tanks aren't being addressed here.

If that is the case I vote for a billow v2
The sub tank war thread is in the clearo/glassomizer forum. But this is the rebuildable forum so I figured a similar thread on RTAs would be nice.

Lots of people like the billows.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They all need a top fill like melo 2 it is perfect.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
They all need a top fill like melo 2 it is perfect.
Ya, once you have top fill, there is no point to go back. And yes it's still screwing, but it's only one joint... And I'm not putting wear on the 510 3-4 times a day.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I knew this day would come. I started the sub tank wars thread oh so long ago, it was only a matter of time before this happened.
The sub tank war thread is in the clearo/glassomizer forum. But this is the rebuildable forum so I figured a similar thread on RTAs would be nice.

I started that thread; good to see this one pop up! Can't wait to see people's opinions and such!

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It has a similar build deck to the mighty orchid and an evaporation chamber like the KF4 but without the need to use a syringe type tip.

The inner sleeve makes it limited to simple builds but works really well with Ti wire with only 5 spaced turns x2. I want to pick up a second one to use with kanthan or any wire to use with straight power mode.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just to be clear, what's a "sub ohm" RTA. Are there RTAs that can only be used above 1ohm?

Anyway happy new year.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My two fav rta's are the crius and bellus. They really perform closely in terms of cloud/flavor (the crius might be a hair better). I've had leaks from the bellus but it was my first dual coil rta. So after i learned to stuff the channels never had one sence. With them being so equal in performance I'd say the bellus is a lit bit better over all. I say that just bc it's built like a Sherman and theres no threads that could eventually strip. I see me using it for years to come.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just to be clear, what's a "sub ohm" RTA. Are there RTAs that can only be used above 1ohm?

Anyway happy new year.
We'll, I did mention it in the original post.... Never claimed there was an official category... But just like tanks with pre-made coils.... Resistance just keeps going lower because people keep using bigger and bigger coils. Lower gage, multiple coils.... And hence... RTAs with dual coil decks and bigger decks. There doesn't seem to be a huge demand for single coil decks these days. There is an arms race.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I can only speak to the two RTAs I have, so far: OBS Crius and EHPro/Eciggity Billow V2 Nano.

There is little question the Crius is far easier to build on, and the top fill has been terrific, for me. But the BV2N produces a denser, more flavourful vape, for me, the bottom fill is the best of the bottom-fills I've used, and it does not leak, weep or seep e-liquid.

I haven't seen anything new appear that attracts.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
So the avocado.... Is that what "Genesis" style is? I don't know. Tank on bottom, wick hanging down? That's kinda interesting.
Yup, that's what a "Genesis style" tank is. The GeekVape Avocado is one. The Cloud Fishbone Plus is another. I almost tried a Fishbone Plus, but it's fragile, frangible ceramic deck liner scared me off. I may give the Avocado a try. Another take is the Smok RSST, which is designed to use a metal mesh wick. I might give that one a go, too.

Two big advantages to the tank on the bottom: 1. The atomizer isn't heating the liquid store every time you fire. 2. The atomizer is much closer to the drip tip, which tends to yield more flavour.

This big disadvantage is, of course, keeping the wick wet.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
We'll, I did mention it in the original post.... Never claimed there was an official category... But just like tanks with pre-made coils.... Resistance just keeps going lower because people keep using bigger and bigger coils. Lower gage, multiple coils.... And hence... RTAs with dual coil decks and bigger decks. There doesn't seem to be a huge demand for single coil decks these days. There is an arms race.

i would love it if the crius had a single coil option. getting a clapton in there that has high enough ohms to fire and still fit on that deck is a PITA. but a single clapton coil would work easy on it if it had a plug for the other side

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I am very interested in this thread and was very active on the original sub tank war thread. I find myself moving and enjoying the rta world more and more these days and like the ability to build my own coils Vs purchasing pre built coils. But having capacity is required so the rta way is what works for me.
I only have the Crius and billows V2 that I can talk to.
Crius well we all know it's a great performer but does have its problems and I find I am tiring of these more and more each day. So I am now looking at the griffin. (Pretty much very similar but hoping it will be Crius type Vape without the BullShit seepage issues)
Billows V2. Great tank but is a pita to build and wick. However if you get it right it's a pleasure to Vape on. Now I am looking at the nano V2 for increased flavor. Again very similar.
So it seems like I am stuck between these two designs for whatever reason so I am very interested in watching this thread so I can decide on what I am going to do next because I know a new purchase is in the immediate future for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Crius well we all know it's a great performer but does have its problems and I find I am tiring of these more and more each day. So I am now looking at the griffin. (Pretty much very similar but hoping it will be Crius type Vape without the BullShit seepage issues)
Billows V2. Great tank but is a pita to build and wick. However if you get it right it's a pleasure to Vape on. Now I am looking at the nano V2 for increased flavor. Again very similar.
So it seems like I am stuck between these two designs ...
How about this: Billow V2 Nano with a small Velocity-style deck. Add a simple, but reliable top-fill design, such as the Tobeco Super Tank Mini's, but that allows the use of standard 510 drip tips? Oh, and a plug for one side of the deck, for those who want to do single-coil builds.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
How about this: Billow V2 Nano with a small Velocity-style deck. Add a simple, but reliable top-fill design, such as the Tobeco Super Tank Mini's, but that allows the use of standard 510 drip tips? Oh, and a plug for one side of the deck, for those who want to do single-coil builds.
Sure. We should all design the tank of our dreams and get it out to the vaping public. Awesome idea. For now we are limited to what's out there, so where can we find this tank that @vuJim speaks off. Lololol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Guess I am behind the times. I still use my original Lemos and Lemo 2's. Also use the Subtank Minis with the rebuildable deck. Love the simplicity of a single coil build. The original Lemo still gives me one of the best vapes. Still hate the fill and afc. Have yet to see anything on the market that makes me want to try something new.

Tap'd from my 6 Plus

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ya, I built my STM RBA because it was better than the OCC. But it was a PITA and very limited with finicky wicking.

The Crown solved all that and every now and then I will go back to it and it is still a great tank. But I see no need to do the single coil RBA. I also don't find the pre made coils cost prohibited. I'm really not into building coils for the fun of it. It's a chore to me.

But truth be told, I'm not so thrilled about vaping long term on coil safe in China. So I get a Crius and here we are. That opened the door to building. Dual simple coils are plenty for me. I don't see Claptons in my future. But the bigger RTAs are getting very good.

The Crius performs well. If they improve the design, it would be perfect. But I am loving the Griffin so far, and the 25mm VCMT is really good. My go to tank at the moment. It's a garden hose. All the room I'll ever need...

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not so much as a hint of a film. Spotless. But I can't seem to put the VCMT down. The Griffin has not had much use. Only refilled it once. But I will be using it today. It has been full and upright. I'll be using it this weekend to get some time on it. But so far, perfect.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Not so much as a hint of a film. Spotless. ... Only refilled it once. But I will be using it today. It has been full and upright. I'll be using it this weekend to get some time on it. But so far, perfect.
Be interesting to hear how it compares, flavour- and vapour-wise (quantity & density) to the Crius, as well.

Lazy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So where are you guys buying your Geekvape Griffins from? A google search only yields presales. I love my aromamizers but the deck is a tad small. Looks like the griffin has a velocity mini sized deck.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So where are you guys buying your Geekvape Griffins from? A google search only yields presales. I love my aromamizers but the deck is a tad small. Looks like the griffin has a velocity mini sized deck.
I'll prob get mine from efun.top i've made a purchase there before and there legit.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Got mine from Vapor Tek. Never used them before but it was a purchase. They state back order now. I've seen black ones. A couple sites list them. I want a black one now, but haven't seen any in the wild. Don't know if I'll have to wait.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Be interesting to hear how it compares, flavour- and vapour-wise (quantity & density) to the Crius, as well.
I'm a bad one to ask on flavor. A ton of vapor has flavor. It tastes on par with the Crown and Crius. And on my Crius I can only get 6/7 spaced wraps at 2.5mm and I have 8/9 on 3mm on the Griffin. So not exactly apples to apples. But ya, it produces. Which is the point with bigger decks.

But I'm not the guy to split hairs and say which is best to the fraction of a difference.

Debbiej

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the aromamizer. RipTrippers has a video on how to wick on a vertical build. I tried it and hadnt any issues with leaking since. I'm vaping on 5 wraps around a 3mm using 32/26g Clapton. Sitting on .4 at 80watts. Nice flavor and big clouds. Only con is wicking.
Had a Kanger RTA, it's tiny. What I started with. It's collecting dust.
Wanna try VCM thing but $65 is too much, will wait till price drops or for clone

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have-
Billow
Billow V2
UD Goblin
UD Goliath
UD Zephyrus
UD Goliath II
UD Goblin Mini
UD Bellus
UD Zephyrus V2
Aromamizer RDTA with both caps
Indulgence Mutation MT-RTA
VCMT 25mm

Presently the VCMT, MT-RTA and Bellus are the three in rotation. Occassional RDTA use also. For you billow 2 fans- the Zephyrus v2 is a very comparable vape with easy top fill. Build deck and draw are both similar. My biggest drawback with the billow 2 (mine was early preorder) is when I tighten the top cap to the tank base/chimney it would break the glass. And the ohms jump around constantly no matter how tightened down the deck and 510 screw were. Its retired now, there's better stuff out there.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
My biggest drawback with the billow 2 (mine was early preorder) is when I tighten the top cap to the tank base/chimney it would break the glass. And the ohms jump around constantly no matter how tightened down the deck and 510 screw were. Its retired now, there's better stuff out there.
I have had a Billow V2 Nano since Christmas. I've experienced none of those problems.

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have had a Billow V2 Nano since Christmas. I've experienced none of those problems.
Glad to hear you're having better luck. My brother's has the same issues. Maybe they corrected the problems. Hopefully its not just a matter of time. Mines six months old now.

HRC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ya, once you have top fill, there is no point to go back. And yes it's still screwing, but it's only one joint... And I'm not putting wear on the 510 3-4 times a day.
I have 2 top fills and many bottom fills and fill them all without unscrewing the 510 connection.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I guess I never thought of that.... But I think I'll just stick to my simple easy top fills.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm not really a noobe to tanks after 4-5 months, but haven't tried building yet. Recent additions include a TFV4 that I'm just getting acclimated to with the prebuilt Clapton (great flavor), and an Aromamizer RDTA.

If I had no fear of regulations potentially making coils difficult to obtain (or worse), I would buy the prebuilts for now, due to time constraints with work. But if there's a need to become self-sufficient, I need to get busy learning. As an alternative, I briefly tried the new Freemax ceramic coils for longevity, but from what I've seen, the longevity claims may be presumptuous, and- with the tiny wicking holes and being very power hungry, I wound up giving the pack of coils away. I know there are 5 or 6 other ceramics/tanks in the works or recently arrived, but that's probably a bit off-topic.

I thought the Aromamizer would be the answer. To someone like me, there's very little room to work, or even rewick. It's got a small base and a small deck that screws into it.

I don't need to experiment with all sorts of builds yet, but I could start by replicating a build that works, using the ohm's meter to stay safe.

Do I get one of the TFV4 options (and if so, which is best for newcomer), or is there something altogether better in the way of an RTA, or RDA that has a few ml of juice capacity? I guess if the Aromamizer is typical, I need to learn it, but it sure looks "compact."

There are plenty of tutorials and YouTube videos, but first, I want to start with the right equipment, and I'm open to suggestions. Thanks....

Stringplucker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm very happy with my Aromamizer. I find the Velocity style deck to be roomy enough for claptons wrapped on 3mm mandrels. I'm currently running with simple wrapped dual vertical 26g titanium wire to 0.23 ohm being run at 500*F and there's vape coming out of the air holes before I inhale. It's proven itself to be a producer. Horizontal is the flavor coil, while vertical makes more vape...so on my next built, I'm going to try a matched set of each and see how it goes. Wicking is easy once you understand that they need to be short, fluffed out, and barely touching the deck, right above the holes. I see no need to open the holes, but YMMV.

As far as tank build quality, the Aromamizer is second to none.

VU Sponsors