Become a Patron!

Subtank coils melting

tatty29

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi there. I'm having problems with my coils for my subtank mini. Every time I fire up a new coil befor pinching it keeps melting and distorting. This is not the first time I have recoiled it either. I had this problem with my last subtank also but now that's vaping fine so thought I wud get a second. I'm using 26g kanthal ( as that was what fixed the problem last time) coil is 3mm on a kuro cooler and 5 wraps. Any advice much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AZ4running

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah what are you firing them up with and what vw? I burn in new coils that small at about 10-15 watts.

UncleMike

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like way too much power going to your coils. If you're using a regulated mod, try turning the watts down, way down to like 8-10 watts to test the new coil. Pulse fire it for a second or two until it starts glowing, don't continue to hold down the fire button. Once it's glowed a couple times give it a pinch with your tweezers or pliers, gently so as not to break it or overlap the coils. Now pulse it again a few times and pinch again if needed until you see it glow from the middle outwards to the sides. Once it's firing correctly, let it cool down and then wick it with cotton like normal. Then fill your tank, add it to the RBA base and test again. Keep the watts low for a bit until it's had a chance to wick properly before upping the watts.

tatty29

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Am using an istick 50w and firing at 20w. I will defanantly try this UncleMike. I had no problems tho at 20w with the first couple of coils tho and my other subtank now does well at these watts. Willing to try any thing though to save my sanity a second time tho lol. Thanks guys.

tatty29

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have just realised I forgot to mention that my ohm reader some times flashes when I put this specific subtank on it. It doesn't do it all the time but this happens when there's no coil in it.
I tried what you were saying UncleMike and the coils are no longer melting and distorting but I can't get the coils to blow properly. They light up one ring on the left and then just a line of glow across the coil.

UncleMike

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It sounds to me like you may have a short somewhere on your RBA deck for the subtank. Open the tank and remove the base (RBA) deck. Make sure the contact pin on the bottom of the deck is snug and not loose. Then check your screws that hold down the coil. Make sure your coil is not touching anywhere else on the deck that may cause shorting. Take a close look where your wires make contact under the screws to make sure your coil wire is not touching anywhere that could cause a short (hotlegs). Once you get your coil heated, give it a pinch which should help get it glowing from middle outwards. Hopefully you get it figured out :)

tatty29

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally found the problem. I had over tightened the air flow tube that's under the coil. Some one suggested it with my last subtank and that's fine really tight so to begin with it didn't ocure to me but I got so frustrated I took the whole deck apart and left the air flow tube tight end with my fingers and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the help UncleMike much appreciated

VU Sponsors