Become a Patron!

Sucralose (TPA Sweetener)

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't know if it's just me, but I can detect an odd and unpleasant chemical taste when I add TPA sweetener to my recipes. I use it between 0.5% and 1%.

Am I the only one who taste this ? (this would tell me that I have a bad flavoring batch)

Thanks!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if it's just me, but I can detect an odd and unpleasant chemical taste when I add TPA sweetener to my recipes. I use it between 0.5% and 1%.

Am I the only one who taste this ? (this would tell me that I have a bad flavoring batch)

Thanks!

you might have had a bad batch.. maybe..
then again, I dont go any higher than 1.5-2% in any of my recipes with it.. as i pick up a bad taste from it..
most recipes really do not need any sort of sweetener.. its all about the rest that determine it..

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
you might have had a bad batch.. maybe..
then again, I dont go any higher than 1.5-2% in any of my recipes with it.. as i pick up a bad taste from it..
most recipes really do not need any sort of sweetener.. its all about the rest that determine it..
Thanks, I read some people that report the same thing. Might as well increase the VG percentage when I want a sweeter recipe.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, I read some people that report the same thing. Might as well increase the VG percentage when I want a sweeter recipe.

i do max vg anyways.. only pg is in my flavoring, if i go with a pg based flavor..

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try Ethyl Maltiol instead. It might work in your formulations.

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try Ethyl Maltiol instead. It might work in your formulations.
Yeah I'm quite aware of that :) hahah, I'm more experienced than my number of posts shows ;)

It's just that ethyl maltol starts to mute flavors when the sweetness from it starts to shine through

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I'm quite aware of that :) hahah, I'm more experienced than my number of posts shows ;)

It's just that ethyl maltol starts to mute flavors when the sweetness from it starts to shine through

then you know em will mute juice, if used at a high rate ;) :p
but mixed with sweetener can be very nice..

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
then you know em will mute juice, if used at a high rate ;) :p
but mixed with sweetener can be very nice..
I will not use sweetener anymore. I can detect 1 drop in 10ml. It's gross.
Thanks for your advices !

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Thanks!

I get a "diet pop" taste, and rarely use it anymore.

Have you tried any "Stevia Extract" yet?

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No, I read it has a bitter taste? Is it bad or is it worth it?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I get a "diet pop" taste, and rarely use it anymore.

Have you tried any "Stevia Extract" yet?

Heabob, i get that with fa cola :(
I thought that fa would at least have a good cola..
to me diet cola is nasty!!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No, I read it has a bitter taste? Is it bad or is it worth it?

It does have a different taste, but am diluting to a 10% mix in PG.
Not as noticeable when used this way.
But I'm more used to the flavor from putting it in my coffee, (diabetic).
I still prefer to use sweet flavorings instead, like FA Meringue, TFA Brown Sugar, FA Jamaican Rum, etc.

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wonder what is the ingredient used to sweeten super sweet flavorings? Like vanillas, sweet fruits flavors, gourmet flavors...some are very pleasant on the tongue while having no bad sucralose aftertaste

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Heabob, i get that with fa cola :(
I thought that fa would at least have a good cola..
to me diet cola is nasty!!

Yep, FA Cola is like, good flavor and fizz, but a bad aftertaste.

The only pop I drink anymore is Diet Ruby Red, (being a diabetic).
Doesn't have the "diet pop" part.
I don't even like eating grapefruit but the pop is yummy:D.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, FA Cola is like, good flavor and fizz, but a bad aftertaste.

The only pop I drink anymore is Diet Ruby Red, (being a diabetic).
Doesn't have the "diet pop" part.
I don't even like eating grapefruit but the pop is yummy:D.

i dont even get the fizz from fa..
the only cola i happen to like is the tfa cola syrup.. there, i get some bubbles.. ;)

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I wonder what is the ingredient used to sweeten super sweet flavorings? Like vanillas, sweet fruits flavors, gourmet flavors...some are very pleasant on the tongue while having no bad sucralose aftertaste

I often wondered about this too...

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I often wondered about this too...

sometimes it is all about how you layer things too..

if you can.. do up a mix of em, sweetener, mb .10% coconut fa, and marshmallow..
keep it all under 1.5% and try it solo..

forgot to add.. to make the "sweetener" you will want it to be the main leader..
so use that in a higher percentage than the rest..

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
FA Coconut is a little "miracle worker" IMO.
Been using it in everything lately, .25 - .5%.
Adds such a nice creamy buttery background.

I also use TFA Marshmallow in a lot of things at .5 - 1%.

But I've also had too much trouble with muting from EM & sweeteners

BTW @Smoky Blue, what is mb?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
FA Coconut is a little "miracle worker" IMO.
Been using it in everything lately, .25 - .5%.
Adds such a nice creamy buttery background.

I also use TFA Marshmallow in a lot of things at .5 - 1%.

But I've also had too much trouble with muting from EM & sweeteners

BTW @Smoky Blue, what is mb?

mb = maybe lol.. sometimes i only use .05% or .10% but no more than .15% coconut fa..

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
I've always hated the taste of sucralose (and every other fake sweetener). Can taste that shyte in the smallest quantities.

Backed away from EM, as I use max VG, and I think the combination of the two can lead to very weak flavours. No PG to carry and EM muting lol

Just started dripping though, so time to reformulate!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I use a mix of sweeteners and additives..
the more you layer, the better..
the only draw back is figuring out which you want to make main, and then the "followers"

play with what you have, and research.. if it has anything you can not pronounce, or any known sugars.. do not use it!

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Breakthrough, I found how to use it. In my opinion, people are using it at a WAY too high percentage. I dilute the TPA Sweetener (Sucralose) at 1% in a 30ml bottle. From that diluted bottle, I use between 2% and 6% and it's really really sweet enough. This result in a 0.02% to 0.06% total percentage of sucralose in the recipe. Anything over that concentration, will not give much more sweet taste on the tongue, but a chemical aftertaste will develop, especially with clean nicotine like Vaperstek.

Another thing I discovered
It doesn't react well with menthol: If you use too much sucralose with a highly concentrated and highly clean menthol E-liquid, the sucralose will give a gross aftertaste (With vaperstek nicotine)

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Bonjeur, domyz!

|I have wondered this same thing and thought I;d bring this forward.

If sweeteners mute flavors, what to the flavor companies use to make sweet flavors, well, y'know, sweet?

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Bonjeur, domyz!

|I have wondered this same thing and thought I;d bring this forward.

If sweeteners mute flavors, what to the flavor companies use to make sweet flavors, well, y'know, sweet?

Most of the sweet flavors contains Ethyl Maltol. Yes it does mute flavors when we add it to our mixes, but when it is added in the flavor concentrate in the fabricaton process, the other ingredients in that flavor are balanced for it.

Also I did discover that some flavors does contain pure sweetener (i don't know which particular sweetener; sucralose, stevia, xyilitol, ??) by letting them age them: they lost their flavor and sucralose starts to be easily detectable.

Some flavors have a naturally sweet effect and don't need any sweetener.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for that, domyz, but you asked the question originally ,,, I was just trying to help you get an answer ....

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ah! Yes and I did much research on this, and had many experiences that's why I have now more answers :) we progress hehe

VU Sponsors