Become a Patron!

Tanks and other questions

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I have two mods: An ikonn 220 with an ello tank and a ijoy captain with a crown III tank.

The tanks are both sub-ohm, but other than being under an ohm I don't know why that is good or bad.

The ello tank I'm using has a 3 coil atomizer in it (there's another 4 coil in the package). The crown has a parallel coil (parallel but single coil? Doesn't it need another coil to be in parallel with?).

I find that at equal wattage, the ikonn is much smoother and more enjoyable. The only caveat here is that when I got the crown III I loaded it with 6mg nicotine with 60/40 PG, whereas the ello has only had 3 mg Nicotine and 70/30 VG. I put the latter juice into the crown iii, thinking that maybe the higher pg and nicotine was making it taste bad, so there may be some lingering juice in there. After a day there shouldn't be much, and frankly the flavor has gotten better. Or maybe I'm just used to it. Clouds are much larger and fuller on the ikonn.

I can't help but think that the difference in coils is what is making the biggest change. Oh - another difference is the Captain uses 20700 batteries while the ikonn uses 18650.

As for flavor, if I only use the Captain I can get used to it and it is pleasurable. But when I switch back to the ikonn it's a whole new world.

I guess what I'm asking here is what's the difference? Why am I getting such different results? It looks like I want to get a new tank w/ atomizer but want to understand what I'm looking for, first.

Please help a new guy out here.

Edit: One more question. What is a clapton coil and why would I want or not want that over a regular coil?

Yes, I have a lot to learn. That's why I'm here :)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Ill start the answers
every tank is different then the next
the airflow, the shape of the coil, the shape of the inner chamber, the shape of the chimney that the vapor travels etc etc. SO different tanks taste different for different people.
some people are into vaping for clouds some for flavor some for both so there are a wide range of tanks out there for different people

coils matter
different metals taste different kanthal versus nichrome versus stainless steel
different types of coils can change the flavor simple coils versus twisted verus parrallel etc
different wicking materials can change the flavor
now you are using pre built coils and have little control over that except to change the coils or try different coil options the manufacturer or others may make for it
prebuilt mass manufactured coils like you use can be hit or miss as well. you can buy 10 and 1 is horrible and 1 is better then all the rest and the other 8 are all fine or 4 are duds etc etc etc

the biggest challanges to vaping is there are so many choices available and its hard to compare a to b at times because taste is subjective and what I like you may not like. SO you have to experiment at lot at first to find what you like

subohm means this its below 1 ohm in resistance. why is that a big deal. when vaping started the coils had resistances like 1.8 2.2 etc
small clouds not a lot of vapor production. the lower the resistance the easier it is to heat up the coil and get more vapor production
thats the basics
sub ohm meant we could get more flavor and nicotine faster so most of us went from 24mg/ml or so of nicotine down to 6mg or lower becuas eon a subohm tank 24mg is a mega crap ton of nicotine at once

a clapton coil is the basic advanced coil
you take one wire and wrap it with a thinner wire like a wound guitar string
it creates more surface area for the juice to hit across and more vapor

ok someone else will expand on all of this im sure but its a start

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To put it simply.
Different types of tanks vape best at different wattages even with the same resistance coil.
Find what works best for each type of tank and use it there.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
So assuming good, working coils, proper wattages, and the same vapor, it's kind of a crapshoot to find what I want.

I'll go for some variety and see what works best.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So assuming good, working coils, proper wattages, and the same vapor, it's kind of a crapshoot to find what I want.

I'll go for some variety and see what works best.
There are not exact rules in how to get the best vape. Many variables and lots of trial and error to find your best vape. Which will not be the best vape for everyone else.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I wonder how much of it is psychological, too. When I use the Crown and then switch tot he Ello I enjoy the Ello more. But when using only the crown for a while it's fine and enjoyable.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
one thing to keep in mind if you watch youtube videos
what alot of those guys are doing is not the only way to do things
if we could actually survey all the different things here you would find that theres a good number of people doing each thing

so general rule of thumb
1. its really all about that coil and wicking
regardless of if its premade or make it yourself
in fact MOST of the tanks out there are just copies of each other theres not that much difference between the tanks except they use a proprietary coil
i used to use this maganus tank exclusively....then everyone raved and ranted over how great the original crown tank was.....so i got one. THEY were practically identical and even used the same style of coil and wicking. i still have both and could use eithe rin a pinch fi all my RTAs (tanks i build my own coil in) broke suddenly.
2. experimentation - you say the one is better then the other. ok
play with each - start the watts low. try it
try it will full air open
try it with closed air
try it with mouth to lung
try it with direct lung
try it with half open air flow
then try it all over again at 5 watts higher
repeat and repeat
you will find the sweet spot for air and wattage on both
who knows the one you like less may become better
you may find a way to make the one you like better even better

research the 2 types of coils you are using
maybe you will find something different about them
if you do remember that because if you get something new in the future you will know if it has that you like it if it doesnt you may not like it

and if you are feeling really bold get an rta buy some prewrapped coils form someone reliable on here or even cheap chinese ones to start and have lots of room for experimentation
if you are happy with one of the tanks you have now much more then the other get a second one and use 2 of them instead of 1 of each
you could possibly sell or trade the one you dont like on here. I got rid of several rtas i didnt like for ones i did like on here

whatever you do as long as you like it and you arent smoking its all good. i vape stainless steel claptons that i buy the wire premade and I wrap it myself using muji cotton on 3 different types of RTAs on 6 different mods all at about 50 watts. Thats what makes me happy. someone else could do the same or totally different. doesnt matter to me.....I have what works for me and its right for me.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Everything has been pretty well covered, so I'll just answer one little question. If it was answered, and I missed it, I apologize.

The parallel "single" coil is actually 2 wires in one barrel. Usually in factory coils, it is 2 wires soldered to 1 leg on each end. This is why you see some coils with 2, 3, or 4 barrels claiming 4, 6, or 8 coils,

VU Sponsors