Become a Patron!

TC issues with gunked coils

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Hi community.

Just wondering if this happens with you guys.

I use SS 316L coils in my Revenger X. I noticed that when i have fresh coils the TC seems to work best. As time goes by, and coils get gunky, my TC seems to not work quite well.

I mean, with a new coil in 200 Celsiu (392 F) i feel a nice smooth warm vape. In 250C (482F), i have reach the spot where it stills warm, but if a add one degree it will be hot. Its ilke if 482F is the last temp i call warm, anything above is hot.

But, when my coils are a bit used, 3 days or little more (depending of the juice), and get a little gunky, the TC seems to became weak. To get a warm vape a i need to set my mod to 482F. And it just begins to get hot with something like 572F.

This kind of thing happens to anyone of you guys?

And, if anyone have a Revenger X, tell me your experience with it's TC, please.

Other thing: Always when i dry burn my SS too hot and put under tap water to clean'em, my TC just stops to work. I need to replace the coils if want TC again. (Think some reaction happens and change the wires in some way, i don't know, just trying to guess).

Nowadays, to clean, i dry fire them, clean with metal brush, them, when its cool again, i use a toothbrush with water and sometimes a little soap. Then dry burn again, and, another clean with metal brush, and its set to a few more rounds with TC working... Comments about it ?

Thanks you guys.

Best

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah TC mods have issues regulating with excess carbon on the coils...

As for ypu cleaning methods. .. use the least amount of wattage you can that turns the coils when new to a dull orange glow when in a dark room... Fact is the coil don't need to glow to burn them clean. The glow is a signal for us humans. Glow till carbon ashes over strum or brush to remove rinse re burn to make sure you didn't cause hot spots let cool rewick and vape. If you are gentle to the coils they will last week's months and even years.

Plan to rewick every couple days be happy when you can go longer. ...
Don't stress over the temps on the screen set it where you like it and enjoy... it's normal to need more power or heat as coils and wicks age and get dirty.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Are your coils spaced or contact coils? TC works better with the coils spaced.

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Yeah TC mods have issues regulating with excess carbon on the coils...

As for ypu cleaning methods. .. use the least amount of wattage you can that turns the coils when new to a dull orange glow when in a dark room... Fact is the coil don't need to glow to burn them clean. The glow is a signal for us humans. Glow till carbon ashes over strum or brush to remove rinse re burn to make sure you didn't cause hot spots let cool rewick and vape. If you are gentle to the coils they will last week's months and even years.

Plan to rewick every couple days be happy when you can go longer. ...
Don't stress over the temps on the screen set it where you like it and enjoy... it's normal to need more power or heat as coils and wicks age and get dirty.

Yeah. I'd imagine the gunk some how make the TC less effective... But is ok. Will try the dark room to see the light orange, im used to do it in a room with lots of light, so i think im overheating the SS a little bit. Dont let them get red never, but my orange in a room full of light might just be more than waht i need. And, abou the Revenger, the TCR is working best for my mod in 100 with SS316L coils than the standard TCR 92... Things of life, i guess...

And yeah, i rewick every couple of days, 4 or 5 days max if im using a single flavor (i usualy use two or three tanks to vape different flavors during the day). But when i use multiples juices in the same tank i rewick in a 3 days max.

Thansk for the repply @gopher_byrd

Best.

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Are your coils spaced or contact coils? TC works better with the coils spaced.
Always spaced. I guess i just use'em not spaced once in my life, lol. But, how i live in Brazil, i dont have too many options of coils in here. So i made my own claptons and fused or stagered claptons (is stagered correct?). Will try to learn other builds, but here we don't even have flat wires to buy. We bassically have Kanthal and SS from 24g to 32g. In this week i tried to buy 38g and 40g of SS 316L and didn't find in anywhere. Will have to import to make some claptons that @Pegleg Meg suggested me to do...

Thansk for the reply.

Best.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Remember gunk is like insulation and it keeps the heat in and doesn't allow it to vaporize the e-Liquid. Happens with factory coils also where as time goes on you need to raise the temperature a bit to get the same hit as when it was just installed. Good luck my friend and you are really falling down the rabit hole at a rapid pace.

:vino:

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Remember gunk is like insulation and it keeps the heat in and doesn't allow it to vaporize the e-Liquid. Happens with factory coils also where as time goes on you need to raise the temperature a bit to get the same hit as when it was just installed. Good luck my friend and you are really falling down the rabit hole at a rapid pace.

:vino:
Always good talking to you man. Thanks for the help in this last days.

Best

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Always spaced. I guess i just use'em not spaced once in my life, lol. But, how i live in Brazil, i dont have too many options of coils in here. So i made my own claptons and fused or stagered claptons (is stagered correct?). Will try to learn other builds, but here we don't even have flat wires to buy. We bassically have Kanthal and SS from 24g to 32g. In this week i tried to buy 38g and 40g of SS 316L and didn't find in anywhere. Will have to import to make some claptons that @Pegleg Meg suggested me to do...

Thansk for the reply.

Best.

For cleaning, I recommend washing them with hot water and soap or alcohol and wire brush then - get as much gunk off before you dry burn so you don't have to get them as hot to clean

Then wash again :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you do a comparison on how long it takes to make a new coil and clean one you might say WTF am I wasting my time when I could just be using a new coil? Just my educated opinion you must remember. I tried cleaning coils and it took less time to mount a new one and wick it.

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
For cleaning, I recommend washing them with hot water and soap or alcohol and wire brush then - get as much gunk off before you dry burn so you don't have to get them as hot to clean

Then wash again :)
Yeah. Trying this in the last couple of days :)

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
If you do a comparison on how long it takes to make a new coil and clean one you might say WTF am I wasting my time when I could just be using a new coil? Just my educated opinion you must remember. I tried cleaning coils and it took less time to mount a new one and wick it.
Thats true. I clean more complex (to me) coils. The ones i can build myself i tend to replace instead of cleaning ;)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Idk.. I dry burn and clean in about 60 seconds.. pulse pulse strum rewick.

Really it's not the hard to clean a coil... if you don't let them gunk over, in the first place. Most just way overdo the process.

VU Sponsors