Become a Patron!

TC40W

I posted this on a couple threads, but figured I should start a new one.....

I use a 20W eleaf istick with a nautalis mini and it vapes great. So I decided to get a back up battery for when my 20W needed charging and bought the TC40W. I noticed right away that for some reason the 20W istick vapes way better with the nautalis mini than the TC40W. Not sure why, but maybe someone on here can explain. The only differences I notice are as follows.....On My 20W my setting is 3.7V which shows 6.8W. When I set the TC40W to 6.8W, it only shows 3.56V. There is no voltage control for the TC40W only wattage. So if I want 3.7V on the TC40W, I have to adjust the watts up to 7.4W which gives me3.72V. This still results in less vapor production than the 20W. Can anyone comment on why?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What has to be happening is the TC40 is measuring less resistance in the coil. Can both of your mods read the resistance of your coil? If so check it. I'm pretty sure the TC40 will show a lower resistance.

My 20W reads 1.9 ohms and my TC40W reads 1.92......at the moment................but I have seen it read differently before. Why would that be?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the resistance is only changing on 1 of the mods (same tank), I would think that tank is not making a solid contact with that mod. I don't own either one so I don't know if the pin is spring loaded or if it can be adjusted. I build my own coils and if I see resistance jumping, it's usually one of my screws have come loose lol

It is spring loaded on the TC40W, but not the 20W. I just removed the tank and screwed it back on the TC40W 3 times and got three different readings...1.93, 1.89, and 1.91

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I posted this on a couple threads, but figured I should start a new one.....

I use a 20W eleaf istick with a nautalis mini and it vapes great. So I decided to get a back up battery for when my 20W needed charging and bought the TC40W. I noticed right away that for some reason the 20W istick vapes way better with the nautalis mini than the TC40W. Not sure why, but maybe someone on here can explain. The only differences I notice are as follows.....On My 20W my setting is 3.7V which shows 6.8W. When I set the TC40W to 6.8W, it only shows 3.56V. There is no voltage control for the TC40W only wattage. So if I want 3.7V on the TC40W, I have to adjust the watts up to 7.4W which gives me3.72V. This still results in less vapor production than the 20W. Can anyone comment on why?
It has little to do with atomizer resistance. The 20W istick is one of the least accurate mods ever made. It is likely supplying well over 4V when the display shows 3.7V.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The 20W Istick is overpowered i.e. it generally produces a higher wattage than it's set to. The TC40W is slightly underpowered in that it generally produces a little less than displayed. This is based on the scope readings in PBusardo's reviews. Just adjust each to get the vape you're looking for is the practical approach.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep ! Like lefty said. Adjust the new one up a bit to get the same vape as the old one. You know the QC of the build on these things isn't exactly great. I wont comment any further so as not to get in trouble lol

I have heard that it isn't the greatest as well, but it works fine for my needs. It is still not the same, but vaping at 3.9V on the TC40W is close to the 3.7V setting on the 20W. ?But no one has commented on the fact that the v/w settings are not the same. If 6.8W produces 3.7V on the 20W, it should be the same on the TC40W unless there is more current (amps). Am I wrong?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have heard that it isn't the greatest as well, but it works fine for my needs. It is still not the same, but vaping at 3.9V on the TC40W is close to the 3.7V setting on the 20W. ?But no one has commented on the fact that the v/w settings are not the same. If 6.8W produces 3.7V on the 20W, it should be the same on the TC40W unless there is more current (amps). Am I wrong?

No, your right. EX: If one is reading the resistance low it will calculate a lower voltage because it should draw more current with a lower resistance. In reality what happens is it send a lower voltage but the actual higher resistance limits the current so you actually get a lower wattage than what you set it at.
P (wattage) = I (amps) x E (voltage)

Ohms-Law-Formula-Wheel_zpscjcwg7p5.png

Cheers,
Steve

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It doesn't matter whether it's in voltage mode or wattage. One is still overpowered and one a little under. The differences also vary by the output. Neither varies consistently throughout it's range, with the 20W by far the most inaccurate of the two. It's more pronounced at some levels than others and moreover varies in different places on each different mod. Expecting consistency between these two inexpensive mods will just lead to frustration. Just set each to a level that suits.

Last edited:

jasonculp

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you want the technical answer go look up Phil's review of the iStick 20 watt, or if you have a few weeks to spare do a search for mean vs rms iStick 20. There were very long threads about it, people even made conversion charts to convert iStick (20 watt) watts to everyone else's watts.

In a nutshell, the way the 20 watt iStick calculated wattage make it put out way more watts compared to the same reading on other mods. They fixed this with the 30 watt version.

At least that is what I think is going on....

Here is a great link: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/eleaf-istick-compact-20w-box-mod.17063/page-9#post-146579

Ian91

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My wife uses both the 20 and 30. Prior to getting the 20, she was using a VV3 at 9.5watts. I found that we had to set the 20 to 7watts to get the same vape as what she was getting on the VV3. With the 30, we are back to 9.5watts. We have not found any differences in the resistance readings for all 3 of them. She uses iClear 30s clearos on all of them.

VU Sponsors