Become a Patron!

Temp control for stainless steel atomizer heads

Hi everyone!

I'm new here (but an active lurker) and semi-new to vaping. I've been vaping since last August but really got into it around Thanksgiving. Haven't had a cigarette since then!

Anywho, I'm curious as to how to work temp control with stainless steel coil heads. I keep searching but I usually run into answers regarding rebuildables. I use a super tank mini and have discovered dotmod coils and how amazing they taste (to me anyways!) I initially used the twisted coils of theirs but then I tried the ss coils. It tasted awesome but I burnt it out in a day with it in temp control.

I'm pretty sure I understand the general idea of temp control- but is it slightly different when using stainless steel? I had it set to 50 watts (the max the coil recommends) and at 550 F. I tried firing it at a lower temp initially but it was quite an anemic vape.

Also, I'm using an RX 2/3 if that makes any difference. I did have it in the SS temp control mode (as opposed to the nickle or titanium mode). I have a pack coming in the mail soon. Should be here Tuesday, so I'm hoping to have this temp control thing figured out by then!

Thanks in advance!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Welcome aboard....:vino:

I don't know anything about the RX, but someone will.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome. I find that pre-made SS coils for some reason don't work as well as the ones I build in TC. You may need to bump the wattage up so it heats faster, the mod will bring it down to the level it needs. But too high and it'll pump and be annoying. I run my RX200s at 60 watts. I also use TCR mode DJLsb finds that a TCR of 118 gives the most accurate temp control with SS.
It's a long video but go to 41 min in and he gets to the good stuff. You may find you'll need to lower the temp at these settings as it'll hit like a bitch. Don't know why you would burn a coil that fast.

Welcome aboard....:vino:

I don't know anything about the RX, but someone will.
Afraid all I can offer is a Welcome, too. :wave:
Welcome from me, too. BEAUTIFUL kitty!

Hi all! @Huckleberried - he's definitely a good looking dude and he knows it. Very princess like! His name is Henry! Your fluff is quite good looking as well!

Welcome. I find that pre-made SS coils for some reason don't work as well as the ones I build in TC. You may need to bump the wattage up so it heats faster, the mod will bring it down to the level it needs. But too high and it'll pump and be annoying. I run my RX200s at 60 watts. I also use TCR mode DJLsb finds that a TCR of 118 gives the most accurate temp control with SS.
It's a long video but go to 41 min in and he gets to the good stuff. You may find you'll need to lower the temp at these settings as it'll hit like a bitch. Don't know why you would burn a coil that fast.
That video is interesting! Definitely explains why my regular kanthal coils read a tad higher than they are labeled.

Question- how can you tell if the coil is 316 or 316L? It says 316 but could that also mean 316L?

I can't figure out how to change the TCR on the RX2/3. Is that in the custom settings?

Anyway, I'll try bumping up the watts a bit more and lowering the temp some. Maybe that'll help! Of course, it could have been a dud coil. It tasted great in just regular power mode!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi all! @Huckleberried - he's definitely a good looking dude and he knows it. Very princess like! His name is Henry! Your fluff is quite good looking as well!

That video is interesting! Definitely explains why my regular kanthal coils read a tad higher than they are labeled.

Question- how can you tell if the coil is 316 or 316L? It says 316 but could that also mean 316L?

I can't figure out how to change the TCR on the RX2/3. Is that in the custom settings?

Anyway, I'll try bumping up the watts a bit more and lowering the temp some. Maybe that'll help! Of course, it could have been a dud coil. It tasted great in just regular power mode!
Holding Fire and Up: Opens up the TCR (Temperature Coefficient Of Resistance) memory modes, allowing you to program the device for coil types that aren’t covered by the normal built-in temperature control modes.

Read more http://guidetovaping.com/2016/09/05/a-complete-guide-to-the-reuleaux-rx23/2/

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Awesome! Thanks! I'll fiddle around with it when I get the new pack!
welcome if you want to up the ante with your 2/3 many of us are running custom firmware that even gives your more granularity the thread on here for the ClockSelect firmware allows you to basically control every aspect of the device.. insure you do upgrade your firmware to the latest release from Wismec even if you do not want to go the custom firmware route

welcome if you want to up the ante with your 2/3 many of us are running custom firmware that even gives your more granularity the thread on here for the ClockSelect firmware allows you to basically control every aspect of the device.. insure you do upgrade your firmware to the latest release from Wismec even if you do not want to go the custom firmware route
Interesting! Didn't realize that custom firmware like that existed. I did make sure to update to the most recent firmware release from Wismec.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dotmod coils.........good stuff. I'm vaping on a twisted right now. I have had no problem temperature controlling either the twisted or the stainless. As stated above, play with the TCR settings to get it right for your coil material.

Murray_B

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm curious as to how to work temp control with stainless steel coil heads.

My main setup is quite different from yours but I also vape TC with SS316. For any coil I use I set the power to the minimum wattage of the coil and the preheat to 0.2 seconds of the middle wattage. That will give a longer life expectancy for the coil. Then I set the temperature to 340F and adjust the nicotine and flavourings (if any) for that temperature. That seems to be the cheapest way to vape with TC. Good luck.

My main setup is quite different from yours but I also vape TC with SS316. For any coil I use I set the power to the minimum wattage of the coil and the preheat to 0.2 seconds of the middle wattage. That will give a longer life expectancy for the coil. Then I set the temperature to 340F and adjust the nicotine and flavourings (if any) for that temperature. That seems to be the cheapest way to vape with TC. Good luck.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind as well!

VU Sponsors