Become a Patron!

TF-RTA G2 coil help

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ok so new guy problems going on over here. I got a rdta and a rda today but I'm not getting that great of vape, especially flavor. I'm using the G-priv, on the big baby beast I like vaping it at 70w-90w. I'm guessing the coils I'm starting out with can't handle that and hoping that's my problem. Can't someone that knows this tank please give me some help on what would be a good coil build to try? I haven't made any coils but I've got a kit, the Internet and I'm pretty handy, So don't hold back! Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok so new guy problems going on over here. I got a rdta and a rda today but I'm not getting that great of vape, especially flavor. I'm using the G-priv, on the big baby beast I like vaping it at 70w-90w. I'm guessing the coils I'm starting out with can't handle that and hoping that's my problem. Can't someone that knows this tank please give me some help on what would be a good coil build to try? I haven't made any coils but I've got a kit, the Internet and I'm pretty handy, So don't hold back! Thanks

It could be you aren't wicking juice fast enough.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It could be you aren't wicking juice fast enough.
Well I've already wicked it a couple different times. One of them did taste better then the others, but it still honestly wasn't anything compared to my big baby beast. Wondering if my coils are to small? Then again idk if this deck can fit any bigger.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
For anyone not familiar with this deck here's a pic of what I had on it yesterday. Just looking at the pics I feel like the coil could definitely be longer(more wraps). Thoughts?
These are pre-made coils that I bought to use while I learn to build and hopefully get better at it.
ed8f9068606cebe847213539f3e82621.jpg

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know that specific RTA, but the RBA for my TFV8 provides better flavor with a smaller build. Whenever I try something like your pic, it just gets too hot and the flavor seems muted. Also, I have to wick it so that the cotton is almost loose. In other words it is just barely met with resistance when pulling the cotton through the coils.

I am not saying that is the case for you, but thought I would point that out.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I don't know that specific RTA, but the RBA for my TFV8 provides better flavor with a smaller build. Whenever I try something like your pic, it just gets too hot and the flavor seems muted. Also, I have to wick it so that the cotton is almost loose. In other words it is just barely met with resistance when pulling the cotton through the coils.

I am not saying that is the case for you, but thought I would point that out.
Yeah I really want to just go get the RBA for my tfv8. That was my original plan and then I think I found done bad reviews so I started looking else where. Since then though I've heard a lot of people say it's good.

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
9.5 times outta 10 the problem with rta's and rdta's are the wicking. I have the tf-rdta and I use big coils in it all the time with great results. If your wicking has no room to breathe when you stuff it into the wick channels it will not wick efficiently. If you use too much cotton the flavor will taste dry, burnt and hurt your throat. If you dont use enough cotton its gonna leak for sure. Also, if the wicks are too long, juice cant travel the distance it needs to get to the coils. Keep playing around with your wicking and once you get it right the flavor should blow the baby beast stock coils right out of the water! I hope you get it figured out!

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
9.5 times outta 10 the problem with rta's and rdta's are the wicking. I have the tf-rdta and I use big coils in it all the time with great results. If your wicking has no room to breathe when you stuff it into the wick channels it will not wick efficiently. If you use too much cotton the flavor will taste dry, burnt and hurt your throat. If you dont use enough cotton its gonna leak for sure. Also, if the wicks are too long, juice cant travel the distance it needs to get to the coils. Keep playing around with your wicking and once you get it right the flavor should blow the baby beast stock coils right out of the water! I hope you get it figured out!
Thanks, great info and very helpful!

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Can't someone that knows this tank please give me some help on what would be a good coil build to try?

Firstly, Welcome to VU, and secondly, congrats on choosing the TF-RTA. Its my favorite atty. Hugely under rated IMO.

What is so cool about this design, is that you can remove the base, and the deck, without emptying the tank. With the juice control off, you can just unscrew the base, and fix your wicking/build, perfect for learning what works without a massive wastage of juice.

For a long time, my build was 2.5-3mm 8 wrap of 26 gauge 316 Stainless. comes out to roughly 0.3 Ohm. place the coils low over the airflow inlet for massive flavor. I run mostly in temp mode, @ 450F.
In watt mode, that build likes between 35-40 watts.

I also have been making some stainless Claptons, 32 gauge over 26 gauge stainless, 8 wraps, comes in at 0.23 Ohm, requires about 45-50 watts.

Avoid the coils that come with it, they must have machine oil or some crap on them. I've tried washing them, they are just Craptons.

If you have any other questions about this tank, give me a PM!

One last thing. I bought a G4 deck,and could not find ANY build for it that I liked. I gave the deck away to somebody who wanted to try it, they hated it too. I think the G2 deck is far better.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I like my TF-RTA but i went with the G1 single coil deck...Distance from the air flow plays a big part as thats what it took to make me happy with it...i always go with a 3mm i.d. and a sort of loose fit with the cotton but still snug...youll find the sweet spot you like, just keep playing with it.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got mine at gearbest and yes, its just the rba deck.

I tracked it down too. It looks identical to the TFV4 Single Clapton RBA,(TF-RCA) except for the bottom threads. Did it come with a optional restrictor for the air hole?

i always go with a 3mm i.d

Exactly what I used on the TF-RCA.

Last edited:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I really want to just go get the RBA for my tfv8. That was my original plan and then I think I found done bad reviews

I think the RBA for the 8 is very good. I just got the RBA for the 12, and it is a scaled up version of the 8. I did a vertical build on the 8 RBA, Might try it later on the 12.

I just bought another TF-RTA 2 days ago, they were on clearance at the B&M. They come with spare glass, but I have not found a source for aftermarket replacement glass, so I grabbed another in case of breakage.

Last edited:

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I think the RBA for the 8 is very good. I just got the RBA for the 12, and it is a scaled up version of the 8. I did a vertical build on the 8 RBA, Might try it later on the 12.

I just bought another TF-RTA 2 days ago, they were on clearance at the B&M. They come with spare glass, but I have not found a source for aftermarket replacement glass, so I grabbed another in case of breakage.
I'm guessing I'll like it once I get it down. Since I'm switching back and forth between 4 tanks right now it's kinda hard to learn just one.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I tracked it down too. It looks identical to the TFV4 Single Clapton RBA,(TF-RCA) except for the bottom threads. Did it come with a optional restrictor for the air hole?

I honestly dont recall if it came with one or not.

jasonandsarah

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thinking some of my problem is wicking because I rewicked it and kinda got the same results, then I let it sit overnight and the flavor was much stronger and better. Also I've started just making basic coils until I get better at it.

VU Sponsors