TFA Brown sugar vs TFA DX Brown sugar

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey! Has anyone who used TFA Brown sugar also try the new DX Brown sugar? (brown sugar flavor & brown sugar extra is the same thing)

The reason I ask is - I recently got the DX version after using the regular brown sugar for a while ---- they taste nothing like each other! The DX is dark and taste like molasses. totally changes a recipe even at 1%

Does anyone know of a brown sugar without diacetyl that is like the original TFA brown sugar? or perhaps a mixture of a flavor or two ? I'm thinking I might just try TFA sweetener - I just smelled TFA brown sugar original version next to TFA sweetener & they smell very close.

on a side note -- I've used caramel original from TFA & switched to DX Caramel original & did not noticed a big diff in taste if any. Is why I was wondering about this brown sugar. After emailing TFA this was their explanation when I asked about the DX brown sugar - I thought maybe I got molasses flavor by accident. "Our DX line of flavors are a lot like sugar free cookies. With certain types of cookies you may not taste that something is missing, whereas other times it may taste like a very different cookie. "

Thank in advance for any advice!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nobody else makes Brown Sugar except TFA, well none I've ever heard about yet anyway..
Didn't even know they made a DX version, good to know it's different tho, think I'll stick with the old one:D.

You could always try mixing the DX with some FA Marshmallow and Sweetener(or Stevia).
Hard to get that same Dark Sugar effect tho I'm afraid.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Tfa brown sugar extras what i use... i cant imagine not having it.. its one of my most important flavors.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
(I have a few things to say about this but must organize my thoughts and do that tomorrow.)

All the DX flavors I've tried taste different than the originals to me. I haven't found any where I preferred the flavor of the DX version...sort of disappointing.
Depending on how much Brown Sugar a recipe needs, FA Jamaican Rum makes a good sub. In fact, if it's just an accent flavor in a recipe, it often tastes even better.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
(I have a few things to say about this but must organize my thoughts and do that tomorrow.)

All the DX flavors I've tried taste different than the originals to me. I haven't found any where I preferred the flavor of the DX version...sort of disappointing.
Depending on how much Brown Sugar a recipe needs, FA Jamaican Rum makes a good sub. In fact, if it's just an accent flavor in a recipe, it often tastes even better.
I never even considered that as a sub, but I did include that in a list of must have bakery flavors for someone. Hmm. I'll try that in a familiar mix just because I'm curious now. Thank god we have you HIC.

Claire, thanks for starting this thread. This is all good info. I didn't even know there was a DX version. I use the hell out of the original.

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Thanks for feedback HIC.
The DX version's do taste different but I don't find most as drastic difference as the TFA brown sugar vs DX Brown sugar.

when I use brown sugar it is usually a small % as accent 1 - 2% at most. so I will try FA Jamaican rum.

For those using the original brown sugar. I'm personally trying to stay away from any flavors with diketones. Recently I have noticed TFA's main site adding notes to their MSDS sheet

for example:
i just noticed under sweet woodruff it has asterisks in the table next to Acetoin & Acetyl. noting NO* - the note says,

* BASED UPON THE MOST CURRENT INFORMATION AVAILABLE FROM THE MANUFACTURER

http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/specsheet.aspx?sku_search=348733

this notation is new to me with asterisks. perhaps they are getting flavors tested? and as the tests are complete they are updating notes on web site & then making DX flavors as needed?

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
a quick note - the molasses flavor is not bad - but it is strong at the 2% that I tried it at. and it has its place in recipes I'm sure - but it is not the Brown sugar we are all used to & have been using.

VU Sponsors