Become a Patron!

The Best Coil for Clouds? Explaination / Help needed?

EzVapez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I am going to buy the Snow wolf 200w and allready currently own the mutation X V4.
I want to get a coil build which is going to produce awesome clouds.
I have read a lot of posts and so far I understand a few things affect the vapor:

- Surface area (thicker wire or more wires / parallel and stuff / more wraps)
- Wattage / power and lower ohm
- Heat produced (heatflux) less heat is cool vape but probably also less clouds? right?
- Heat capacity (lower is quciker is probably better)
- ofc also things like airflow wicking and stuff... but lets focus on the coil itself.

So all this stuff needs to be balanced. So with the steam engine I made a theoretical coil that is quite balanced imo. However I have no idea if its realy balanced well for clouds.

It is basically a dual - 4 strand parallel build with about 8 wraps - 26 AWG (regular A1 Kanthal)
resulting in .15 ohm. You can check everything about the build here:
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?a=true&p=roundmulti&s=dp&r=0.15&hfnw=200&str=4&awg=26&id=3

I need help. I realy would like to know how this coil will preform for clouds and how I could improve it.
For example.... maybe you guys think the heatflux is too low even at 200w. Or the heat capacity is too high? Surface area seems pretty big though. I do not know if you need to max out the surface area for best clouds. Please let me know how to improve this or maybe show a totally different build that provides way better clouds! :D

Thanks in advance!

EzVapez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One more question, What wire thickness is best for clouds usually? (depending on build and stuff ofc)

EzVapez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a single parallel coil w/ 2 strands 26g 7/6 wraps 2.5mm ID => 0.403 Ohm, and it's chucking big clouds at 30W. More power would burn the juice I'm using in this RDA.

EzVapez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a single parallel coil w/ 2 strands 26g 7/6 wraps 2.5mm ID => 0.403 Ohm, and it's chucking big clouds at 30W. More power would burn the juice I'm using in this RDA.
Lol i could build that on my istick 30 w xD

But u say it burns ur juice... however if the heat flux is low... it will never rly burn juice right?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
As mentioned earlier, not every juice likes heat. The one I'm using in this RDA sure doesn't. If I were to use my DIY made w/ the Citrus Mix flavor from Nude Nicotine, I'd be able to go over 50W, and the juice also tastes better.

EzVapez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As mentioned earlier, not every juice likes heat. The one I'm using in this RDA sure doesn't. If I were to use my DIY made w/ the Citrus Mix flavor from Nude Nicotine, I'd be able to go over 50W, and the juice also tastes better.

What do u think affects vapor the most in order of importance:
So the setup is mutation x v4 on a snowwolf 200w, meaning lots of airflow
and high wattage as well as the possibility to build down to 0.05 ohm.

- Ohm
- Heat
- Surface area
- Heat capacity (time to get hot)

Example answer:
- Surface>heat>ohm>heat capacity

Thoughts behind this question. For clouds, it might be better to build at higher ohm with way more surface area and heat flux compared to a low ohm build where you have to comprimise on the surface area or heat produced. Is this true?

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
IMO, heat capacity>surface>Ohm>heat. I like my coil(s) to heat up and cool down quick. Obviously, a larger surface area produces fore vapor. Both can be achieved with different coil (s) resistances and/or different heat (Watt) settings.

Therefore, you read/hear of guys utilizing different wire like nichrome80, Gplat, etc.

EzVapez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMO, heat capacity>surface>Ohm>heat. I like my coil(s) to heat up and cool down quick. Obviously, a larger surface area produces fore vapor. Both can be achieved with different coil (s) resistances and/or different heat (Watt) settings.

Therefore, you read/hear of guys utilizing different wire like nichrome80, Gplat, etc.

How would like like the looks of this (kinda extreme weird maybe) build:
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?a=true&p=roundmulti&s=dp&r=0.35&hfnw=150&str=4&awg=28&id=4
It should just... fit :p

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The best advice I can give, try all kind of builds an see what suits your juice and yourself best. That's what I did, and it's not expensive with Kanthal A1 wire. I think I'll get some nichrome 80 and try building a Clapton coil.

mrkneeah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@EzVapez I had that exact same box and RDA, be very careful about when you aren't vaping on it. When I had it sitting out the juice dripped from the RDA into the snow wolf and fried the circuits. I just want to make sure that you are aware that stuff like this does happen. It's the bottom airflows that I'm most worried about. Mutation X v 4 is a really great RDA and I also enjoy the snow wolf, but those two together should be monitored.

When life gets you down, blame gravity.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
@EzVapez I had that exact same box and RDA, be very careful about when you aren't vaping on it. When I had it sitting out the juice dripped from the RDA into the snow wolf and fried the circuits. I just want to make sure that you are aware that stuff like this does happen. It's the bottom airflows that I'm most worried about. Mutation X v 4 is a really great RDA and I also enjoy the snow wolf, but those two together should be monitored.

Yes, it can leak through those bottom air holes. The trick is to have the wick not touching the "walls" to those bottom holes, and not to over drip.

EzVapez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Yes I noticed on my istick 30w allready before I orderedhe snowwolf that it was leaking like ALOT XD it was kinda insane. However, I re-wicked it and put a bit less juice on it and it is just fine. I can always shut down the bottom airflow and only use the diamond diagonal holes fully open. But this will reduce the flavor I can immagine. Anyways :) Getting the snowwolf today. Gonna build some coils :)

EzVapez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes the mutation X v4 leaks :) but i discovered that if you wick the cotton through the coil towards the bottom either side, and then op top of the coil put another piece of cotton, it doesnt leak that much. Also, I never put it aside if its still wet. I always make sure the cotton is dry. Btw.. so far I tried a lot of different coils... even a fused clapton coil. Yet I have to say that a quite simple build worked the best by far.

I made a 2 strand twisted 23g wire, 6 wraps coil. Made 2 of these, and the 2 coils together came out to be .17 ohm .... I get HUGE clouds... eats juice like crazy though.

VU Sponsors