Become a Patron!

The Evolv DNA 40 Temperature Control chip do you think it was designed for e-juice or for Dry herb?

The Evolv DNA 40 Temperature Control chip do you think it was designed for e-juice or for Dry herb?

• Total voters

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FWIW, Kanthal contains aluminum. Assuming you believe metal alloys readily leach chemicals willy-nilly (and some of you clearly ain't got a fucking clue what they's talking about), I'd be more worried about aluminum entering my bloodstream than nickel.

Oh and yes, heating wire contains Ebola too. RUUUN!!!

Last edited:

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Everyone put on your tinfoil hats you can catch Ebola from this forum now lol any the CIA are watching

BabyFartsMcGeezax

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, as long as you run your coils above 600*.. you'll be fine from Ebola..but you're fucked if you use temperature control in that case..Edit- temperature protection*

Gplat and other "specialty" wires are stretched and heated..no Ebola, just pay $20 a foot, and you'll be safe from Ebola, and knowing what metals your coils consist of..

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Found this post by Breaktru on his modders forum, an exchange on Nickel between him and Brandon from Evolv:

Some people have asked about the concerns of using pure nickel wire for coils. Here is what Brandon of Evolv has posted in the Facebook beta group:

OK so John and I have been seeing quite a few emails concerned with the Nickel wire used with the DNA 40. We decided to write a response that I think may be interesting to all of you. Feelfree to steal from it any or all parts to drive away the hypothetical Nickel boggeyman

Original email:
Hi, Off the back of your announcement today of the new DNA 40 board and it's ability to control the temperature of a nickel coil, there has been much concern on vaping forums about the use of nickel wire as a coil. Here is an exert of some of the comments: "Bad, bad idea. Look up the toxicology of nickel and ask if you want to heat that and inhale the result. I won't. " "Nickel is relatively chemically unreactive to some things, but not to others. It reacts very rapidly with carbon monoxide. And nickel carbonyl is really evil crap. And heating any organic flavour is going to resul in some carbon monoxide production. " "So in your opinion using nickel or nichrome as heating wire for vaping is dangerous? I don't know enough about it to judge if you're right or wrong. I hope you're wrong because I think this about to be the next big thing in vaping. This technology is going to start popping up in mass market devices very soon and some premade atties are going to come with nickel rather than nichrome. " Are you able to allay any of these concerns over using nickel wire? Is there a specific type or grade of nickel we use? Does nickel wire pose any more harm than Kanthal A1? Kind regards

Our response:
We agree Nickel Carbonyl is truly evil crap. Fortunately, there isn't any here.

Point 1: We aren't generating carbon monoxide. The whole point of temperature protection is to, well, protect from elevated temperatures. Heating doesn't generate carbon monoxide. You have to be getting combustion or pyrolysis. And you have to be combusting in a fuel-rich (less oxygen that stoichiometric) environment. Like a cigarette. We never get anywhere near combustion temperature, and even if we did (say, one turned the temperature limit up to 2000 degrees) the environment in an atomizer is oxygen rich, not fuel rich. So you would get carbon dioxide, not monoxide. To get pyrolytic decomposition of the fluid into carbon monoxide and hydrogen, we would want a coil temperature of about 1500F and you'd need to have it sealed off from air completely.

Point 2: If this was a problem, we would have already seen it. The Mond process you describe (nickel ore to nickel carbonyl to nickel metal) is how one refines nickel from ore. The commercial coils are already 80% nickel and run at higher temperatures when they dry out. If we were getting nickel carbonyl production, that would refine the nickel out and we would end up with a porous wire with only 20% chromium left. That's not what happens.

Point 3: Given that all the real research, vapor analysis and long term studies that have been done to this point have been done with commercial cigalikes, all of which use nichrome coils (80% nickel and not at all protected from overheating) if there was a substance as toxic as nickel carbonyl in the vapor, the anti-ecig forces would be screaming that from every rooftop. Nobody has found any, even in devices that aren't temperature controlled. One study did find some metallic nickel and metallic chromium from pitting in the vapor steam, so they were obviously looking for metallic compounds.

I'm attaching the Goniewicz research paper which is one often cited by those on both sides of the e-cigarette safety debate. The study looked at products using nichrome heating coils. And yes, they measured nickel. The study also looked for carbon monoxide in the vapor stream and found none. Zero. The following excerpt is from the study:

"The amounts of toxic metals and aldehydes in e-cigarettes are trace amounts and are comparable with amounts contained in an examined therapeutic product."

Dr. Michael Siegel said of the Goniewicz paper:

"The most important finding in this study (that the authors failed to acknowledge) was that all of the trace levels of metals they found in e-cigarette aerosol were within permissible exposure limits for FDA approved inhalable drugs and devices (e.g. nicotine inhaler, asthma inhalers) per Pharmacopeial Convention."

Basically it boils down to anything a Nickel 200 coil would do, a nichrome coil would already be doing (and worse due to higher temperatures) and nichrome coils are the only ones that have been studied in any meaningful detail by the real scientists, labs and MDs.

What Kanthal is or is not doing, we cannot say as we haven't really studied it.

What is a problem with the commercially available nickel 200 wire is they use a particularly nasty tasting oil in the drawing process. So if you roll a new coil without degreasing the wire first, you initially get a nasty taste from that oil. A good washing with acetone or simple green, followed by rinsing in water, solves that problem. But that is something to point out if people are reporting weird chemical tastes when they first try it.

Thanks,
Brandon
Evolv, LLC
Wow..so.. lookie there... (ahem) :rolleyes:

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
startin' to think ol' Smokie's been using the "dna 40 temp control chip" for other purposes than eliquid...:(

ebola ...in my juice...ROTFL:eek:

seriously think the poor old sot needs to retire to FLA, 'cause NYC is beating his old ass down...;)

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
startin' to think ol' Smokie's been using the "dna 40 temp control chip" for other purposes than eliquid...:(

ebola ...in my juice...ROTFL:eek:

seriously think the poor old sot needs to retire to FLA, 'cause NYC is beating his old ass down...;)
Theres Ebola in NYC!

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Theres Ebola in NYC!
whats your point...
the doctor that came from western africa is exibiting ebola like symptoms and is quarintined...
lab tests havent confirmed anything yet...
does he make eliquid as a side job...
did he sneak into mr e-liquids lab and cough/sneeze/fart in the labs e-liquid vats when they werent looking...:eek:

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think this snippet may be a preview of what they are working on now.
"So we are wattage dominant. The DNA40 is a temperature protected system, not a temperature regulated system. In a temperature regulated system you might say: “Okay, I’m going to keep this playing at 410 degrees,” but you would have literally minimal to no control over how much vapor comes out: if that temperature’s above the boiling point it will simply boil off everything that gets to it immediately, which isn’t really what you want: that’s not very controllable. So what we do is we say, “At 21 you’re going to get a certain number of millilitres of use per hour or second or whatever,”. So you say: “I want this much vapor, that gives me this much nicotine per draw,” and then if it gets to the maximum temperature then and only then will it back off the wattage, and it will give you less vapor to hold it below that temperature."

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
whats your point...
the doctor that came from western africa is exibiting ebola like symptoms and is quarintined...
lab tests havent confirmed anything yet...
does he make eliquid as a side job...
did he sneak into mr e-liquids lab and cough/sneeze/fart in the labs e-liquid vats when they werent looking...:eek:
Dude.. it was a joke for our resident fear-monger .. people really need to read the threads and remember who is saying what :rolleyes:

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
brandon also said, point blank, the dna 40 has no other viable uses other than ecig's/e-liquid...the temperature protection system is useless in any other application

BabyFartsMcGeezax

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Flamethrower yielding troops on the ground.
Edit-lol... well, I spaced talking about the real scary part of society with everyone...otherwise, this wouod be right after midniteoyl's Ebola post..

Ebola isn't scary..unless I was in the same room as Ebola..lol.yeah..it is scary.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors