Become a Patron!

THE GRIPPER THREAD: MODDING YOUR GRIPPER MOD

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love the Gripper. When I open my vape cabinet, my eyes are attracted to all sorts of sexy mods, materials and finishes. But my hand wants to hold the Gripper. Shape, texture, weight, button position and feel, it's all so hand-friendly and comfortable to me. Because of this I want to use it any way I can, in spite of its design limitations.

Please join in and show us how you use the BEST PIECE OF CHEAP PLASTIC IN VAPING.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Inside

P9131473 edit small.jpg P9131489 edit small.jpg

You can see a few places where I've messed with it a bit (drill hole, tap marks, unsolder/resolder residue) before breaking it open to take measurements. A few obvious limitations appear:

It's two halves of injection molded plastic glued together, not a single molded piece, which would of course be much stronger. The glue seam is the weak link in the body structure. It's molded in inexpensive ABS (an alloy of styrene) not an engineering thermoplastic like polycarbonate.

The wiring is ~28 gauge, not intended for a whole lot of current, and because the battery tube is non-conductive forget about installing a kick, unless you're willing to solder a ground wire onto it.

The 510 connector sits in a cavity in the plastic with two flats to keep it from turning. It's a weak and fairly sloppy fit. However, because there are gaps around and behind it, you can inject epoxy into the area and make it quite strong if you need to.

Note the wire channel and wire coming down from the switch. The center of that wire is 7.5mm from the center of the carto tube and 510 connector. This will be a limitation for those who, like me, imagine a 14mm tank in place of the carto.​

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stealth

P9131459 edit small.jpg

Short drip tip. Knurl on battery cap removed for comfort. Slot cut down to where the carto center pin connects with the 510 center pin. You can drill little holes to this spot if you like, but a slot maximizes airflow to the carto while not being easily obstructed by a finger. Smoktech 1.5 ohm dual coil SS carto shown.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

P9131456 edit small.jpg

With battery cap to accommodate an 18500 battery and a drip tip that's a bit longer for better thumb firing. See below for hardware links.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

P9131468 edit small.jpg

With battery extension and cap to accommodate an 18650 battery, a 510 extension with set screws to lock it in place, and an 18mm tank. See below for hardware links.

Defeats the stealth purpose but, hey, we're home a lot of the time, right?

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Battery Extensions

P9111449 edit small lower.jpg

http://www.madvapes.com/extension-cap-for-the-zmax-variable-volt-apv-stainless.html
http://www.ljesmokes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1821
http://www.madvapes.com/gripper-510-extension.html

Both battery tube extensions are made from Smoktech Zmax Mini parts. They are a tight fit into the Gripper, the same thread pitch (so you won't strip your threads) but a hair bigger diameter, so they won't screw in very far. Strong and solid mount though. I filed the battery extension threads down a bit so there wouldn't be so much gap with the Gripper, which results from the limited screw-in depth. The 18500 one (left) still had too much gap for my liking so I just put a rubber o-ring over it. Gives it a finished look. (My OCD...:rolleyes:)

Both feel very secure, nice and smooth in the hand with no sharp edges. And both let the Gripper set upright in a mod stand, which you kinda want if you're using tanks or drippers.

Last edited:

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you remember what Oring size you used? Good idea.

I saw a "jetson" Gripper set up using a flexible 510 extension with the "water chestnut clearo" that was trippy. But worked.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1411/10008230/1736701-water-chestnut-style-clearomizer
http://www.madvapes.com/510-gooseneck-extension.html

I've also liked the little Nano clearo's in them but hate that drip tip.
The i16's have been working well. The ego skirt covers the 8-10mm overage from the extension nicely. Feels secure.
My first love were the old Bauway LR disposable clearos with 510 drip tips that have been discontinued.

Now how did you get that tank above to work?

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny! I would love to see a picture of a Jetsons-gooseneck rig. You could mount it in a headband like a headset with the atty in front of your mouth at all times. :D

I always wondered about the Vision Nano clearos but never tried them. Did they hit any better than a dual coil carto? Certainly don't hold more juice.

BTW, the 510 extension shown above is the same as yours from Madvapes. I just shortened it, which was no biggie, though a bit fiddly.

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Battery Extensions

View attachment 5686

http://www.madvapes.com/extension-cap-for-the-zmax-variable-volt-apv-stainless.html
http://www.ljesmokes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1821

Both battery tube extensions are made from Smoktech Zmax Mini parts. They are a tight fit into the Gripper, the same thread pitch (so you won't strip your threads) but a hair bigger diameter, so they won't screw in very far. Strong and solid mount though. I filed the battery extension threads down a bit so there wouldn't be so much gap with the Gripper, which results from the limited screw-in depth. The 18500 one (left) still had too much gap for my liking so I just put a rubber o-ring over it. Gives it a finished look. (My OCD...:rolleyes:)

Both feel very secure, nice and smooth in the hand with no sharp edges. And both let the Gripper set upright in a mod stand, which you kinda want if you're using tanks or drippers.
Nice man I have been thinking of doing this for a while with my Gripper its somwhere did you beef up the wiring or just left that?

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice man I have been thinking of doing this for a while with my Gripper its somwhere did you beef up the wiring or just left that?

Which wiring? If you mean in the Gripper, no wiring change. At mech-level currents with my lowest resistance at ~1.0 ohm, the existing 28 gauge solid core has proven to be adequate. I checked voltage drop a while back and it was minimal, though I didn't check it under load. Subjectively, I can say that lately I often have an 18650 Sidewinder or MVP @ 3.7 V next to an 18650 Gripper sampling slightly different juice recipes and I have never noticed a deficit in the Gripper.

If you mean wiring in the Madvapes extension I shortened, if memory serves, I used the existing wire because it was the same gauge as the rest of the Gripper wiring. But, honestly, my memory doesn't always serve.

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Which wiring? If you mean in the Gripper, no wiring change. At mech-level currents with my lowest resistance at ~1.0 ohm, the existing 28 gauge solid core has proven to be adequate. I checked voltage drop a while back and it was minimal, though I didn't check it under load. Subjectively, I can say that lately I often have an 18650 Sidewinder or MVP @ 3.7 V next to an 18650 Gripper sampling slightly different juice recipes and I have never noticed a deficit in the Gripper.

If you mean wiring in the Madvapes extension I shortened, if memory serves, I used the existing wire because it was the same gauge as the rest of the Gripper wiring. But, honestly, my memory doesn't always serve.
cool I think I will do a mod similar to this... to my gripper

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny! I would love to see a picture of a Jetsons-gooseneck rig. You could mount it in a headband like a headset with the atty in front of your mouth at all times. :D

I always wondered about the Vision Nano clearos but never tried them. Did they hit any better than a dual coil carto? Certainly don't hold more juice.

BTW, the 510 extension shown above is the same as yours from Madvapes. I just shortened it, which was no biggie, though a bit fiddly.

All I remember about the Nano's was not being impressed. They do fit as if they were made for it though. FT also has 2 other little tank type systems that have been reported to work in the Gripper. I haven't tried them yet. They look to me like the same problem in that there's no easy way to use a normal drip tip with them = feeling like your kissing the Gripper with every vape. I love my Gripper, but not that much.

One of my biggest issues with the Gripper is that I like tank killer eliquids. I can't vape them with clearo's. I have no idea how to even start cutting down an extension.

The Gripper also needs skins. I went to contact JWraps about doing one - then realized I'd be paying more for the wrap than the mod. It felt kinda silly. But black is just too boring.

Another cheapie I'm having fun with is the Vmod.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
cool I think I will do a mod similar to this... to my gripper

If you go for the 18650 with the extension tube mentioned, you end up with some empty space, about 15mm more than needed. I don't have access to a lathe to shorten and cut threads, so I just put in a longer and stronger spring. Anything long enough will probably do, but this one works great and is very high quality: http://www.madvapes.com/5ml-6mg-13194.html

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"All I remember about the Nano's was not being impressed. They do fit as if they were made for it though. FT also has 2 other little tank type systems that have been reported to work in the Gripper. I haven't tried them yet. They look to me like the same problem in that there's no easy way to use a normal drip tip with them = feeling like your kissing the Gripper with every vape. I love my Gripper, but not that much."

@aikanae I'm not surprised that you weren't impressed with Vision Nano. It looked really wimpy to me at the time, remains expensive and hard to find, and you have to replace the whole thing when the coil is finished. All that's why I passed on it.

If you do try the parts you're looking at on FT, let us know, okay? It's great when everything fits inside as intended. The dual coil cartos I use do taste great. I just can't get a big enough hit off of them.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"One of my biggest issues with the Gripper is that I like tank killer eliquids. I can't vape them with clearo's. I have no idea how to even start cutting down an extension."

@aikanae I'm not sure I understand. If you're already attaching a clearo to a Gripper using a 510 extension, why not a pyrex or steel tank? I use my Aerotanks (Mini, V2, Mega) for tank killer juices and put them on the Gripper all the time.

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@TheWestPole

Sure ya can madvapes sells an extension that goes out the top of the gripper put a ego 510 to 510 extension you have a nice stealth vape

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"The Gripper also needs skins. I went to contact JWraps about doing one - then realized I'd be paying more for the wrap than the mod. It felt kinda silly. But black is just too boring."

@aikanae You know the rubbery coating they use to apply handle grips to pliers, etc.? It's a thick liquid and you just dip the tool handle into it and let it dry. I've been thinking of trying that stuff on mods where I want a grippy surface. Could be a solution on the Gripper too, if you mask off carefully the areas you don't want coated. Solid bright colors or a swirl pattern would be possible. I've also been thinking of using wrinkle paint as a grip as well. Easier and cheaper I suppose, but not sure about colors available.

Maybe I'll try the wrinkle paint first. The coating is wearing off on a couple of my Grippers.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@TheWestPole

Sure ya can madvapes sells an extension that goes out the top of the gripper put a ego 510 to 510 extension you have a nice stealth vape

I think you were replying to @aikanae not me. That Gripper with tank picture above is with a Madvapes 510 extension. It might not look like it because I cut it down a bit to fit almost flush with the body. I thought @aikanae had the 510 extension as well, but now I'm not sure. In either case, and for anybody else: http://www.madvapes.com/advancedsearch/result/?cat=0&q=gripper+extension

Lorem Ipsum

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My Gripper in the default configuration with Nautilus Tanks and 510 Extension:

// Gripper with Nautilus Mini //
LxqrvY5.jpg

// Gripper with Original Nautilus //
gIrWLQ0.jpg

In order for the Gripper with the 5 ml Nautilus to sit upright, I place it in the silicone holder when not in use.

@TheWestPole , I used to have the very same stainless steel and gold drip tip, and loved it. Unfortunately, I lost it.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

LxqrvY5.jpg

gIrWLQ0.jpg

In order for the Gripper with the 5 ml Nautilus to sit upright, I place it in the silicone holder when not in use.
USER=6564]@TheWestPole[/USER] , I used to have the very same stainless steel and gold drip tip, and loved it. Unfortunately, I lost it.

Do you have a Madvapes 510 extension under there or custom? How is the beauty ring held in place?

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dicey Propositions

sd2wW edit small.jpg cJEEAl.jpg images.jpg 20120905160445xj5hd7ic8o.jpg Gripper_egoW.jpg AcrylbentGripper.jpg

If you like your Gripper chances are you have imagined this kind of thing. I did before I got my first one, and when I searched around for pics that might tip me off to the dimensions of the carto area I found these. Mostly crappy results, some funny, but nonetheless impressive the lengths people will go to out of loyalty to the mod.

The main obstacle for fitting a 14 mm tank (forget 15 mm) is this: if you cut away enough material to clear the tank you are already cutting into the wire coming down from the switch. (See internal views and notes at the beginning of the thread.) The trick I suppose would be to stop the cut exactly at 14 mm, with no clearance at all. That's pretty exact cutting.

The other obstacle is how weak a support for the tank the 510 connector would be. The person who produced the two top examples (from Germany I think) made quite an effort to deal with that problem.

It looked then and still looks like a dicey proposition to me, that is, to get a satisfactory result. But I might yet give it a try. The Gripper/Kayfun Mini is calling me. Might even risk sacrificing a Kayfun Mini in an effort to reduce the diameter to 13.5 mm.

Question: What's wrong with me? :confused:

Last edited:

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Incredible mods there! Unfortunately due to the 510 connector on the bottom like that, there isn't much support when you start cutting away the outer housing...only other mod I could think of to move that wire is to use the strip wire (the stuff inside protected batteries) covered in kapton tape and "pray" it doesn't short out.

Otherwise...going Vamo "shrinked" (or double barrel) is another route but just ain't the same as a gripper :)

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Incredible mods there! Unfortunately due to the 510 connector on the bottom like that, there isn't much support when you start cutting away the outer housing...only other mod I could think of to move that wire is to use the strip wire (the stuff inside protected batteries) covered in kapton tape and "pray" it doesn't short out.

Otherwise...going Vamo "shrinked" (or double barrel) is another route but just ain't the same as a gripper :)

Good ideas. I think strengthening the connector area is doable. There are gaps all around and behind the connector you could inject epoxy into. Removing all that plastic near perfectly is the challenge. Personally, I would prefer to retain the wiring. Don't want to solder/re-solder anything next to easily melted ABS. Hmm...

Last edited:

Lorem Ipsum

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Madvapes 510. Beauty ring isn't secured by the threads, just the space between the atty and the Gripper.

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I saw one on YouTube a long time ago where they made a scalloped opening on the side with the intention of using a dual coil carto that measured 12mm in diameter. I think the original design only allows carto's that are 9mm diameter.

I've sorta wondered if it'd be possible to rewire the 510 to the top. But what to do with all that extra space? Hold juice, of course. A super cheap stealth bottom feeder. Extreme daydreaming (or boardom or just avoiding laundry).

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I saw one on YouTube a long time ago where they made a scalloped opening on the side with the intention of using a dual coil carto that measured 12mm in diameter. I think the original design only allows carto's that are 9mm diameter.

I've sorta wondered if it'd be possible to rewire the 510 to the top. But what to do with all that extra space? Hold juice, of course. A super cheap stealth bottom feeder. Extreme daydreaming (or boardom or just avoiding laundry).
Oh...now you are on to something...move the 510 to the top, then just fill the empty with JBWeld or any other two part epoxy...nice!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

LxqrvY5.jpg

gIrWLQ0.jpg

@TheWestPole , I used to have the very same stainless steel and gold drip tip, and loved it. Unfortunately, I lost it.
Is that a Lobotomy tool? heheh j/j I have two other mod projects then I am tearing mine apart I am even thinking of makein a Gripper stainless I need one tool to do it... that reminds me wher ethe hell is my gripper if My GF took it thats it :)

Absintheur

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yea...well... there is the price factor...

I paid more than that for mine about three years ago, and sold it for more...price has dropped over the years. Think about the size of the deck and the precision needed to fit everything on it.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yea...well... there is the price factor...

I paid more than that for mine about three years ago, and sold it for more...price has dropped over the years. Think about the size of the deck and the precision needed to fit everything on it.
Holy CRAP! That would be like slapping a Leopold on a Mosin Nagant...daaaang!

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"The Gripper also needs skins. I went to contact JWraps about doing one - then realized I'd be paying more for the wrap than the mod. It felt kinda silly. But black is just too boring."

@aikanae You know the rubbery coating they use to apply handle grips to pliers, etc.? It's a thick liquid and you just dip the tool handle into it and let it dry. I've been thinking of trying that stuff on mods where I want a grippy surface. Could be a solution on the Gripper too, if you mask off carefully the areas you don't want coated. Solid bright colors or a swirl pattern would be possible. I've also been thinking of using wrinkle paint as a grip as well. Easier and cheaper I suppose, but not sure about colors available.

Maybe I'll try the wrinkle paint first. The coating is wearing off on a couple of my Grippers.

I was looking at vinyl decals including the nail ones. I wanted a tribal design with crystals.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Modification for 23mm diamater tanks.

PA021596 edit.jpgPA021616 edit.jpg PA021621 edit.jpgPA021600 edit.jpg

Just makes it. At 23mm you are cutting into the switch body but not the button. Another mm and you break through to the button. Likewise, 15mm is about all you can remove downward. Another mm and you run into the switch wire.

The 510 connection view shows a shortened Madvapes extension supported laterally by a bushing made from a Fatdaddyvapes 510 connector retainer nut drilled out to a slip fit over the extension. The bushing is set into the plastic 2mm. There is no slop or rattle with the tank installed. The extension can be unscrewed and bushing easily pulled out for cleaning, replacement or reuse when the Gripper eventually craps out.

Completed all the rough cuts and assembly to test everything out. Will smooth out the roughness later and improve the cosmetics. But, hey, proof of concept. This setup makes the Orchid here very pocketable. The build is dual coil .8 ohm total and the 18350 keeps it fired up nicely. Will probably go through the battery pretty fast, so I might rig the Gripper with the 18500 battery extension. Also, to make it lighter, will replace the Orchid top cap and SS drip tip with Kayfun PMMA parts.

Last edited:

Lorem Ipsum

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Modification for 23mm diamater tank.

View attachment 6686View attachment 6688 View attachment 6689 View attachment 6690View attachment 6691

Just makes it. At 23mm you are cutting into the switch body but not the button. Another mm and you break through to the button. Likewise, 15mm is about all you can remove downward. Another mm and you run into the switch wire.

In the 510 connection view you see a shortened Madvapes extension supported laterally by a bushing made from a Fatdaddyvapes 510 connector nut drilled out to a slip fit over the extension. There is no slop or rattle with the tank installed. The extension can be unscrewed and bushing easily pulled out for cleaning, replacement or reuse when the Gripper eventually craps out.

I just finished all the rough cuts and assembly to test everything out. Will smooth out the roughness later and improve the cosmetics. But, hey, proof of concept. This setup makes the Orchid very pocketable. The build is dual coil .8 ohm total and the 18350 keeps it fired up nicely. Will probably go through the battery pretty fast, so I might rig the Gripper with the 18500 battery extension. Also, to make it lighter, will replace the Orchid top cap and SS drip tip with Kayfun PMMA parts.
Very, very cool!!!

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm getting another one. I think the discount amounts to $.82. LOL!
I luv cheap gear. Ordered a Vmod for $40 from Vapage.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm getting another one. I think the discount amounts to $.82. LOL!
I luv cheap gear. Ordered a Vmod for $40 from Vapage.

I hope they still make a profit on the Grippers and keep manufacturing them. Don't know whether to encourage people to buy or hoard them myself. Maybe do both, but hoard first. :D

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Handy Kayfun.

PA041659 edit.jpg

The Orchid in post #43 went through an 18350 pretty quickly. Changing to 18500 mode helps. Changing to Kayfun Nano helps even more. About a half ml more juice capacity than the stock Orchid and battery lasts longer (single coil). Lighter too with all PMMA. And though the battery/extension makes it a bit longer and heavier, I like the grip better. So does my pinky.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors