Become a Patron!

The Merlin RTA by Augvape and Roxy

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My wife does say that I'm Special, it's just the way that she says it that concerns me. :huh: ;)

You're not the only one, I get that too
yes3.gif

I think it about her sometimes, but I don't say it ... I know better
acute.gif

dshuld

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I've had mine for 6 days now so thought I'd update my experiences with it. I have to say, Roxy and Augvape knocked it out of the park with this one. I'm not a big fan of single coil anything and haven't been since leaving the stm for the goliath v2 last year. I have run a single coil in the boreas briefly to test for someone back when it first came out though.

The flavor for me on the merlin is ridiculous. I've tried a friends cleito a few times before and it was ok but, for me, I'm not sure it beats the Merlin in the flavor department. I have had zero leaks or dry hits at all. I dont bother closing the juice flow either when filling. Yes I've tried to make it leak when filling and found no need to close it off with how I have wicked mine.

Still running the same 28/40 fused n80 4mm id clapton in it. I did clean and rewick yesterday though as the juice I'm running in it is a junker (diy tiger's blood 77vg). What I've done both times was pull the wick through and fluff both sides really well until they are about the size of the deck area. Then tuck it in surrounding the cup not worrying about the cotton in the cup until the end. Then push it back up in the cup while gently keeping the top cotton in place with my finger.

6f71deb71c13ac3337b61f1b773996d8.jpg

99efd687c38aeb9b54bcdf10e3f87fb9.jpg

After the cleaning still the same and as the close up shows, nice and juicy coil after vaping it a few more times to make sure it was still good to go.
6e8f24338f92b4b8e3ace1f9733f137d.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dshuld

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I wick mine just the same and not a hint of a leak. One thing i have discovered is just twist the glass clockwise to adjust JFC as long as you keep going the same way it is way easier and will not loosen the tank.
The few times I've accidentally spun it out of position putting top back on I did the same.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've had mine for 6 days now so thought I'd update my experiences with it. I have to say, Roxy and Augvape knocked out of the park with this one. I'm not a big fan of single coil anything and haven't been since leaving the stm for the goliath v2 last year. I have run a single coil in the boreas briefly to test for someone back when it first came out though.

The flavor for me on the merlin is ridiculous. I've tried a friends cleito a few times before and it was ok but, for me, I'm not sure it beats the Merlin in the flavor department. I have had zero leaks or dry hits at all. I dont bother closing the juice flow either when filling. Yes I've tried to make it leak when filling and found no need to close it off with how I have wicked mine.

Still running the same 28/40 fused n80 4mm id clapton in it. I did clean and rewick yesterday though as the juice I'm running in it is a junker (diy tiger's blood 77vg). What I've done both times was pull the wick through and fluff both sides really well until they are about the size of the deck area. Then tuck it in surrounding the cup not worrying about the cotton in the cup until the end. Then push it back up in the cup while gently keeping the top cotton in place with my finger.

6f71deb71c13ac3337b61f1b773996d8.jpg

99efd687c38aeb9b54bcdf10e3f87fb9.jpg

After the cleaning still the same and as the close up shows, nice and juicy coil after vaping it a few more times to make sure it was still good to go.
6e8f24338f92b4b8e3ace1f9733f137d.jpg

Nice pics! Thanks!

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I got mine today and after playing with it for awhile I noticed that (and it might have already been posted before) with the Merlin in hand, off my mod, I couldn't get the JFC to work without unscrewing the tank from the base, but, with the Merlin mounted onto my mod the JFC works just fine by twisting the glass, as it should. Still testing it out though, but it seems to be a slightly different 510 for the drip tip (trying to get a smaller orifice drip tip to fit that is, tightening up the draw some more while also using the 2.4mm air restrictor). I'm a Tight S.O.B., always have been. ;)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I got mine today and after playing with it for awhile I noticed that (and it might have already been posted before) with the Merlin in hand, off my mod, I couldn't get the JFC to work without unscrewing the tank from the base, but, with the Merlin mounted onto my mod the JFC works just fine by twisting the glass, as it should. Still testing it out though, but it seems to be a slightly different 510 for the drip tip (trying to get a smaller orifice drip tip to fit that is, tightening up the draw some more while also using the 2.4mm air restrictor). I'm a Tight S.O.B., always have been. ;)
I have ONE drip tip that fits it, besides the one it came with. I put some juice on the o-rings and, while it was still tough to do, I managed to get it on there ok.

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have ONE drip tip that fits it, besides the one it came with. I put some juice on the o-rings and, while it was still tough to do, I managed to get it on there ok.

Yeah, I hear ya. I just finished modding a Stingray X drip tip to fit. I sanded down the bottom of it (where the o-rings fit on) enough that I had to sand just barely into the bottom o-ring slot (the Stingray X has 2 o-rings), then it fit Perfect. I used a piece of 80 grit sand paper and kept rotating around the drip tip so as to keep the drip tip bottom level and true as much as possible. Now that drip tip has only (1) o-ring instead of (2), but it fits tight and flush. I'll smooth it down with some 400 grit later. Same basic shape as the Original Merlin drip tip, just smaller in circumference but same orifice size (about 6mm), Original is 14mm wide, Stingray X is 11mm wide. It feels better to me. The Stingray X drip tip where the o-rings are was just too long and bottomed out before it got fully seated into the Merlin top cap.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm Huff'in on my Merlin as I type, with 10mg/ml Unflavored 50/50 mix and new Rayon with a 1.41Ω Twisted 30g Kanthal coil @ 13 watts. Still breaking new coil/Rayon in. Got "Just a bit too much Rayon" in this coil, I'm working thru that "Woody" taste.

Actually what you said is pretty interesting to me. Haven't tried cellulose yet. Some people say they can "taste" it at first, others claim it is free of any kind of taste.

I tend to taste something in everything and am trying to decide if I should bother with it or not.

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Actually what you said is pretty interesting to me. Haven't tried cellulose yet. Some people say they can "taste" it at first, others claim it is free of any kind of taste.

I tend to taste something in everything and am trying to decide if I should bother with it or not.

If you do like I just did and get too much in the coil, then it will have a "Woody or Earthy" taste for a few hits. If you wick it like I usually do (and supposed to) then No flavor or Break-in, just the Full flavor from your juice from the get go.

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The right way to wick Rayon is to have enough in the coil so that when you see-saw your wick thru the coil, you can either feel a small vibration in you're finger tips, or, hear a real high pitched squeak, it is audible when done correctly.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
To me, one of the many pluses of the Merlin is it's ability to take a lot of wicking.

I have a hard time with many RTAs because I tend to over or under wick (matches my unbalanced personality, lol), I have a hard time finding the right balance.

This one just takes it

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
To me, one of the many pluses of the Merlin is it's ability to take a lot of wicking.

I have a hard time with many RTAs because I tend to over or under wick (matches my unbalanced personality, lol), I have a hard time finding the right balance.

This one just takes it

That explanation fits me to a "T".

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It takes me longer than most to get things right, but I'm a stubborn S.O.B. and just keep at it. It took me about 10 months to get Rayon down when others only took a few days or a week to get it. I think I was OVER thinking it too much, or I'm just "Special". ;)

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got mine today and after playing with it for awhile I noticed that (and it might have already been posted before) with the Merlin in hand, off my mod, I couldn't get the JFC to work without unscrewing the tank from the base, but, with the Merlin mounted onto my mod the JFC works just fine by twisting the glass, as it should.

Same thing with mine. Works very well, kudos to Roxy :)

Still testing it out though, but it seems to be a slightly different 510 for the drip tip (trying to get a smaller orifice drip tip to fit that is, tightening up the draw some more while also using the 2.4mm air restrictor). I'm a Tight S.O.B., always have been. ;)

So far I've been using the shorty DT that came with it. After reading your post I tried some of my other ones and all my purchased DTs wouldn't go in except the DTs I've made for myself. The hole is on the small side of the tolerance :(

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm Huff'in on my Merlin as I type, with 10mg/ml Unflavored 50/50 mix and new Rayon with a 1.41Ω Twisted 30g Kanthal coil @ 13 watts. Still breaking new coil/Rayon in. Got "Just a bit too much Rayon" in this coil, I'm working thru that "Woody" taste.

Seems we're on the same path in experimenting with this puppy 52anddone :). I switched to rayon yesterday in the Merlin and a couple of other atties. Haven't used rayon for a while. So far all I know is it changes the vape ... if it does that for the better or worse will take a bit of time to figure out :cool:

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Well, I have most of 500 feet of the stuff left after about a year and a half and if you're interested in trying it I would be happy to mail some to you in exchange for postage. I am in Canada so it might be a buck or two more than if I were in the States, but I suspect I could fit some into a letter envelope and it would be pretty inexpensive.

PM me if you're interested and I'll figure it out and let you know.

VU Sponsors