Become a Patron!

The Merlin RTA by Augvape and Roxy

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
In my case, it pays to hold off on buying, as I browse through and read all the different things about this tank from day one, I have to tell you that with so many different tanks on the market never have I seen one with so many issues as this one. yes the few that the tank has performed correctly for I give kudo's to, as lady luck gifted them that, but from a percentage point of view, most do not. Again I say I am glad I held off.
I understand there are many fans with this tank, but the market holds many others that need not so much "Experimentation" to work correctly

I understand your point of view, but I would add that I have 3 of these tanks. 2 of the V1 and one of the V2. None of mine leak. They operate as they should. Am I that lucky on the draw? I doubt it. There have been a couple of thousand of these tanks sold and not 5% of the buyers are on this forum. Those of us here have had mixed results (although mine have been issue free) and there is no doubt that there were (are) some bad ones out there. Please note that most of the individuals with issues are staying in this forum and sticking with the tank but are kind enough to share their experiences and solutions with the lemons they were unlucky enough to have received. I agree the QC could have been better. But the vast majority of these tanks work with no issues. This particular thread is such a small sampling of the Merlin users and it is not the best way to make a decision on this tank. But again, you are correct there are plenty of choices for other tanks out there. For a single coil tank, there are not many that match the flavor I have been able to get from my Merlins.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I understand your point of view, but I would add that I have 3 of these tanks. 2 of the V1 and one of the V2. None of mine leak. They operate as they should. Am I that lucky on the draw? I doubt it. There have been a couple of thousand of these tanks sold and not 5% of the buyers are on this forum. Those of us here have had mixed results (although mine have been issue free) and there is no doubt that there were (are) some bad ones out there. Please note that most of the individuals with issues are staying in this forum and sticking with the tank but are kind enough to share their experiences and solutions with the lemons they were unlucky enough to have received. I agree the QC could have been better. But the vast majority of these tanks work with no issues. This particular thread is such a small sampling of the Merlin users and it is not the best way to make a decision on this tank. But again, you are correct there are plenty of choices for other tanks out there. For a single coil tank, there are not many that match the flavor I have been able to get from my Merlins.

Agreed.

Plus it is super common for first run vape gear to have issues - it happens all the time and with more expensive/impressive brands even.

This outperforms my way more expensive attys (gem, kf4) in fact.

I've haven't seen anything negative on the new runs

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agreed.

Plus it is super common for first run vape gear to have issues - it happens all the time and with more expensive/impressive brands even.

This outperforms my way more expensive attys (gem, kf4) in fact.

I've haven't seen anything negative on the new runs

It does seem the new runs are much better
Most of the older run had oring problems and just simple QC problems
With all the great people on here helping with the first runs those to will be fixed and running fine

Ive had problems with the first runs but the flavor and ease of building have made me work to get the tanks right
Believe me if I didn't think this tank was amazing it would have been in the trash drawer and I wouldn't own four of them

I have a lot of tanks in the trash drawer and none have duplicates

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
With all the great people on here helping with the first runs those to will be fixed and running fine

Ive had problems with the first runs but the flavor and ease of building have made me work to get the tanks right
Believe me if I didn't think this tank was amazing it would have been in the trash drawer and I wouldn't own four of them

Agree - I also have plenty of RTAs in the box of unloved vape gear.

The Merlin has been so good that is my main vapocolypse RTA and I've had no issues with the three I have up and running.

I was going to build/test all the ones in reserve but have decided its probably not needed.

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agree - I also have plenty of RTAs in the box of unloved vape gear.

The Merlin has been so good that is my main vapocolypse RTA and I've had no issues with the three I have up and running.

I was going to build/test all the ones in reserve but have decided its probably not needed.

By the time you get ready to open your reserves the cures for any problems will be posted here

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Under "just odd". My first one from efun was number 2963, plain stainless and has oblong juice holes in both the base and bell. My new black one from Subtank is number 2888 and has the oblong deck holes but a circular hole in the bell that results in a smaller juice feed. Not that it's any real issue. The V2's are a diamond shape are they not? Or is there a V1 and V1A then the V2's? Maybe it's just a senior moment, V2 is too short a search term and the thread's too damn long to read it all again.:)

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Under "just odd". My first one from efun was number 2963, plain stainless and has oblong juice holes in both the base and bell. My new black one from Subtank is number 2888 and has the oblong deck holes but a circular hole in the bell that results in a smaller juice feed. Not that it's any real issue. The V2's are a diamond shape are they not? Or is there a V1 and V1A then the V2's? Maybe it's just a senior moment, V2 is too short a search term and the thread's too damn long to read it all again.:)

The tank 2963 with both oblong holes is newest version

The 2888 is an old version bell and new version base
STS most likely replaced the base with a newer version to bypass the problems others were having with older version bases

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The tank 2963 with both oblong holes is newest version

The 2888 is an old version bell and new version base
STS most likely replaced the base with a newer version to bypass the problems others were having with older version bases
Eh, speak up sonny, don't mumble. So it was a half assed senior moment. Where the fuck did I see diamond shaped? Must have been another atty. I've been looking at quite a few just recently. Thanks.

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

not to say there are not building problems there are but were not in my case .a leaking atty no matter what I did !!
the two I got are both bad and no matter whaat I tried ..and so far have not being able to fix it either .
proof ? got my replacement base in to day ...whoopee ...and gues what ...not the least bit of wetness no where .
just unscrewed my tank to see , after all day vaping absolutely dry underneath to .
now it is the tank to fall in love with .
also ordered a black one , but have not build it jet . now I feel confident it will be a good one . happy I got it.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
not to say there are not building problems there are but were not in my case .a leaking atty no matter what I did !!
the two I got are both bad and no matter whaat I tried ..and so far have not being able to fix it either .
proof ? got my replacement base in to day ...whoopee ...and gues what ...not the least bit of wetness no where .
just unscrewed my tank to see , after all day vaping absolutely dry underneath to .
now it is the tank to fall in love with .
also ordered a black one , but have not build it jet . now I feel confident it will be a good one . happy I got it.

I'm glad you got the base and can enjoy the Merlin in peace, lol

It's such a great atty if you didn't get one of the bad QC ones

disley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I feel bad for the people having issues because it really is a wonderful tank. I wish Roxy was still here because I am sure she could probably alleviate a lot of the problems.
Me too. I was lucky and got a great tank, one of the best I've used.
I'm disappointed the QC was absent, causing far to many rejects to get through.
I think they rushed it through production because of the demand.
Mine has been solid, good flavour and great clouds, and very easy to build on.

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got a 2nd V1 Merlin in stainless.

24g SS316L space claptoned with a 30g KA1 3 loop Celtic braid. 0.30 ohms; 4.76mm ID. Don't know if it was because of the kanthal braid wrap, or what but blew right through most the color range. Tastes good though.

TX5CHg5.jpgl

krLRD9s.jpgl

UzOygOn.jpgl

OHVFG0R.jpgl

89q7Uk0.jpgl

U2tzhka.jpgl

Only editing was focus stacking and adding the watermark.

Last edited:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Actually I based my opinion on more than this thread, watching reviews and talking also with owners of the merlin that have used it and that know alot more about the make up of these than I ever will. But it is ok to agree to disagree, that is what VU is all about:):)

Last edited:

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Absolutely Whiskey...I am happy to disagree (respectfully) with you on this one. If you owned a Merlin, I might take it a little more seriously though. But I appreciate your input. I have spent hundreds of hours vaping the Merlin. So have many others who end up buying 2 or 3 more. We do that because it works for us. Not because it is a pain in the ass. But as with any tank, there will be some who don't like it. That's how the vape world goes round. It's all good! And I have not had a single cig in almost 4 years after smoking for almost 40 years! Hell, vape whatever you want, just don't smoke. Right?

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I do not know if it has been mentioned already but I have 2 Merlin tanks I just received a week ago from eciggity.com. When I emailed Vince to ask him whether the ones I was getting were the v2 or v1 bases he said the v1 has ROUND holes for the juice holes and the v2 has somewhat square holes. I have the square holes and have had no leaking issues, so I assume I have the v2 bases. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

CV :)

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
24g SS316L space claptons with a 30g KA1 3 loop Celtic braid. 0.30 ohms; 4.76mm ID. Don't know if it was because of the kanthal braid wrap, or what but blew right through most the color range. Tastes good though.
Why do I not see the Clapton? Is it just the photo definition of the Clapton strands that make it look like plain wire? Beautiful coil though!

Strawberrys18

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I keep getting leaking, I close the juice flow and airflow when I fill the tank but it stil leaks, am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? Not enough wick??

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Is there an o-ring in the top of the fill section? Sounds like no o-ring someplace. I put a lot of wicking in, tails just draped across the juice well, then on into the deck well. From the side, looking into the juice hole it is about half covered from the wick draping across. Has worked for me without a single leak...ever. No need to close the AFC when filling, just the JFC...some don't even close those. By the way, the JFC should only be turned clock-wise. Just turn clockwise to close and keep turning the same direction to get it open. At least that works for me.

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Why do I not see the Clapton? Is it just the photo definition of the Clapton strands that make it look like plain wire? Beautiful coil though!

It kind of looks like a braid twisted with one strand of 24g, but the 24g is actually straight and the braid is wrapped around it. It is a pretty large spacing on the Clapton and an aggressive angle to the wrap so it causes this illusion in the photos.

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
So it is braided wrapped around a straight 24 ga? Creating a "clapton" type of configuration. It is not a braid wrapped around Clapton wire...if I am understanding it right.

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So it is braided wrapped around a straight 24 ga? Creating a "clapton" type of configuration. It is not a braid wrapped around Clapton wire...if I am understanding it right.

Correct. I just realized autocorrect altered what I wrote. Should say "... Space claptoned with", not "... Space claptons".

Strawberrys18

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Underneath where the connecting thread there was juice all over the place. It leaked all down my mod and put the air flow holes. The gaskets are all there.

Ian91

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think that I finally solved all of my seeping issues. Got a V2 base on Monday to replace my 0091 base. I put the 3 orings in with the 510 pin on all of them (even the new one). Recoiled and rewicked making sure to keep the coil high and away from the airhole. Haven't had a leak in 2 days. Yes!!!

I also got an Obs Ace RTA on Monday from FT. This one seems to have gotten no press but seems to be a really nice RTA. Similar to the Merlin with the single coil Velocity deck. No air restrictor but I used a grommet and a bit more silicone to get it down to about what the Merlin is with its restrictor. Vapes well, good flavor and no leaking. Deck is smaller so a bit more fiddly to wick than the Merlin. I recommend it.

I also got a dreaded Fuchai 213. I only use wattage mode and don't go above 20 watts. For me it is perfect. Plan to give it and the Ace a 2 week trial and then order 1 more of each. FT carries both the rba section and glass as well.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10018377/4533401-authentic-obs-ace-tank-clearomizer

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I also got a dreaded Fuchai 213. I only use wattage mode and don't go above 20 watts. For me it is perfect.
I got the black Fuchai 213 (also have the original) a couple of weeks ago. I only use power/VW mode and they both work perfectly. Really nice and comfortable mods. I actually like the finish on the Fuchai 213 better. And it was $30 cheaper. I understand the complaints against Sig. if you are a TC user, but these work perfect as VW units. I have never had a mis-fire/no-fire on either of mine.

Strawberrys18

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wick mine exactly like this vid recommends and have never had a drop leak

I rewicked it and so far no leaks. This tank has a great vape and flavor when I don't have a problem with it. I use my NET juice in it and it doesn't burn the juice. Love this thing. Thanks for the video

hello guys,
has anyone measured the complete dimensions of the airflow insert?
outer and inner diameters are 3.5 & 2.5 mm, i guess.
what's the head size and the length?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

alexm

Member For 4 Years
I decided to open my base again and get a good measurement of the two inner o-rings.

I've added them to my collection of Merlin o-ring sizes below. All measured from a V1 base (I don't know yet if that matters)

Code:
ID CS     OD    Placement
5   1      7    End of Chimney Tube
8   1     10    Fill Ports
12  1     14    ?
14  1     16    Between Base and Chamber (bag)
15  1     17    Between Base and Chamber (on Merlin)
20  1.2 22.4    Top cap and Glass (3 required)
15  1     17    JFC Ring inside base
18  1.2 20.4    Between AFC / JFC inside base

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I decided to open my base again and get a good measurement of the two inner o-rings.

I've added them to my collection of Merlin o-ring sizes below. All measured from a V1 base (I don't know yet if that matters)

Code:
ID CS     OD    Placement
5   1      7    End of Chimney Tube
8   1     10    Fill Ports
12  1     14    ?
14  1     16    Between Base and Chamber (bag)
15  1     17    Between Base and Chamber (on Merlin)
20  1.2 22.4    Top cap and Glass (3 required)
15  1     17    JFC Ring inside base
18  1.2 20.4    Between AFC / JFC inside base

Thanks for the info
The orings on ver 1 are mostly the wrong orings I had a big pile I used to stop my seepage but nothing was marked so didnt know the sizes

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Specs:

* 22.8mm diameter
* 4ml Capacity
* Single and dual coil capable
* 2mm post holes
* 3mm juice feed holes
* Top filling through two large fill slots
* Juice flow control
* Dual adjustable airflow control
* 3.5mm under coil airhole (2.5mm with stainless steel insert)
* 510 drip tip compatible
* 47.85mm tall without drip tip

zk0Wq1Q.jpg

13095885_250144738671391_1816496136812613727_n_zpsmio0nroc.jpg

Notch coil included
20160502_173207_zpsrelj1mmc.jpg

Single Coil Build

Cut your wick tails long enough to just tuck into the tops of the wick cups
20160503_161006_zpsz6sezit8.jpg

20160503_161316_zpsxlddougu.jpg

20160503_161349_zpsnxzb6zik.jpg

Build tutorial for dual coil build

Run wick through bottom coil and cut short on one end. The other end needs to be long enough to tuck into the top of the wick cup.
20160503_162618_zpssi54hiaa.jpg

Run the wick for your top coil so that the long wick tail is opposite your bottom coil. It will need to be a little longer to reach your wick cup.
20160503_163411_zpskipxcjy3.jpg

20160503_163422_zpso7qdbqm4.jpg

20160503_163437_zps3ion7cj8.jpg

We will be moving all your posts to this thread :)

Also, was just informed that half the first run will be black! So initial run will be available in stainless or black!

The preorder will be going up at Subtank Supply. I will post a link once it's up.
Is the black anodized or coated?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Are they legit? The price seemed too cheap.
They claim authentic. Mine certainly seems to be. The one I got turns out to be V2. With shipping for me it came out to $20.39. Took about two weeks. The other one I got was from Subtank Supply. That was $25.99, free shipping. I had it in three days.

Last edited:

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Same here no chips or scratches on my black but the glass is flaking. I've been vaping Razers Edge Gypsy Juice which is a blood orange juice and I must've got some on the outside of the glass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Same here no chips or scratches on my black but the glass is flaking. I've been vaping Razers Edge Gypsy Juice which is a blood orange juice and I must've got some on the outside of the glass.

I'm asking because some metallurgists say it can't and some say it can but it's a different process than, say, aluminum and titanium. A protective coating is needed and I want to know if this protective coating should be sitting in juice. What about the threading, any problems?

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm asking because some metallurgists say it can't and some say it can but it's a different process than, say, aluminum and titanium. A protective coating is needed and I want to know if this protective coating should be sitting in juice. What about the threading, any problems?
My threading is black and I have been using this tank for at least 6 weeks. No wear on the black is showing on the threading. I'm not a metallurgist, so take from this what you will.

Last edited:

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'
My threading is black and I have been using this tank for at least 6 weeks. No wear on the black is showing on the threading. I'm not a metallurgist, so take from this what you will.

I'll take an experienced vaper's word first;)Thx. I have a black Crown (original) and all its threads are still perfect so there ya go. Merlin must have a similar solid finish.

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Pretty basic build. I wanted the spacing to interlock where the bottom and top coils meet, but it was being a pain in the ass. Twisted 24g SS316L, 0.10 ohms, 2.4mm IDs. Vapes awesome at 55.5 watts in wattage mode, but temp mode didn't want to play nice again.

EEu8a0v.jpgl

uqaJIBy.jpgl

ax8baBE.jpgl

vNfiPkb.jpgl

LK497mi.jpgl

1fsiTGq.jpgl

VU Sponsors