Become a Patron!

The Perfect Steep...

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've heard about several different methods to steep your eJuice. I wanted to explain what I am doing to see if it could be improved upon or if anyone has suggestions on how to shorten/better my method. Thanks in advance for reading/contributing!

My Current Process
  1. I mix my base each time from individual components, rather than having a pre-made PG/VG or PG/VG/NIC base.
  2. Shake all flavor vials before adding to the mix.
  3. Add flavoring(s).
  4. Cap it. Shake VIGOROUSLY for about 5 minutes.
  5. Run my kitchen faucet on hot until the water is as hot as it will go.
  6. Fill a container (coffee cup, etc) with this hot water.
  7. Submerge the capped bottle in the water and let "steep" until the water is cool.
  8. Shake VIGOROUSLY again for about 5 minutes.
  9. Place in a dark, cool drawer for about 4 days, pulling it out each day and shaking it for a little bit.

Questions:
  1. Would my "flavored eJuice" steep faster if I have a pre-made base that has already "steeped/blended" together, prior to the flavorings being added?
  2. A guy at one of my local vape shops told me to avoid the microwave like the plague, as VG can become poisonous when heated to extreme temperatures. Can someone confirm this?
  3. Should I UN-CAP the bottles as they are taking their hot water baths in the container?
  4. Should I UN-CAP the bottles when I let them steep in the drawer for X days?
  5. Should I be shaking the bottles during the drawer storage phase?

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
1. no.
2. correct but that is more like ultra high temp combustion level temps. plastic bottles + microwave = bad juju. Glass uncapped no more than 15 seconds depending on microwave max.
3. yes, or get a crockpot brand dip warmer or untra sonic cleaner.
4. no
5. yes.

If it is still warm where you are at glass bottle + trunk or glove box for a week = lazy steep.
5 minutes is to long IMHO a min or two violent shaking is pretty good. You could also roll it between your hands to get the body temp to warm it a bit, and Mandycat's spank method work well, think ketchup bottom spank.

VU Sponsors