Become a Patron!

The True Reasons: Why is it so difficult to quit smoking?

Cacuqecig

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Why is it so difficult to quit smoking?

20170911102228_70494.jpg

In a survey according to the World Health Organization, tobacco smoking is responsible for the death of approximately 5 million people every year, yet many millions of people are not aware of the imperativeness of smoke cessation, and the numerous who realized how critical it is to quit fail to achieve freedom from smoking or frequently relapse. In this article, I will try to search into and recognize the nature of tobacco smoking, its effect, and why it is extremely difficult to quit smoking.

Smoking is a practice in which a substance is burned and the resulting smoke is breathed in to be tasted and absorbed into the bloodstream. Experts say that cigarette smoke contains over 4000 different compounds, and a significant number of them are carcinogenic including acetaldehyde, acetone, acrolein, benzene, and tar (70% of the tar remains in the lungs). Nicotine is one of the many thousands of chemicals smokers inhale during the combustion.

20170911102758_92430.jpg

Smoking is known to be responsible for about 90% of all lung cancer deaths and about 80% of all the deaths from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Cigarette smoking increases risk for death from all causes in men and women and smokers are more likely than nonsmokers to develop heart disease, stroke, and lung cancer. I don't have to reiterate the wicked effects of smoking here; many of you who took up E-cigarette as the last resort to quit smoking already know what havoc cigarettes were wreaking in your life.

20170911102943_93176.jpg

I will be honest, many people do use smoking as a means to socialize and those who are nervous or crushed often found smoking an effect way to relieve their stress. Smoking is a haven to escape and hide from the suffocating pressure of reality, though its effectiveness is but illusionary and short-lived. Kids are curious about smoking, and many teenagers consider it a must-have in order to appear cool; smoking IS a mighty mainstream culture and in many ways it draws and captivates people despite its many vices and few virtues.

Smoking is, if you would do justice to the numerous testimonies of ex-smokers or those who still struggle in the deep mire of addiction, extremely difficult to quit; indeed the difficulty to quit smoking arises from the following areas.

20170911103324_30586.jpg

The chief culprit is nicotine, a highly addictive drug that acts in the brain and throughout the body, responsible for keeping smokers collared. Over time, your body gets used to having nicotine and always craves more. When nicotine supply is stopped, your body feels the suspension, and experiences certain physical symptoms. Many people relapse because they could not endure the unpleasant reactions their bodies are subjected to and in order to relieve discomfit, they find recourse in taking up that which they so painfully put down. But the truth is, that the worst withdrawal symptoms only last a few days to a couple of weeks. Many people succumb to the tyranny of smoking in this strenuous period.

20170911103513_73680.jpg

A second felon would be triggers. Many smokers fell back at certain moments when they were able to withstand the physical tension but not the psychological nostalgia, which when kindled in specific environments, may trigger smokers the urge to smoke. It is advisable to anticipate these smoking triggers and flee from temptation, for men are not able to overpower the devil. For example, go to places that don't allow smoking, and spend more time with non-smokers.

20170911103709_15449.png

A third and the most subtle culprit would be the age-long habit which developed throughout the years unnoticed. Like a chronic masturbator who surrenders to temptation even when there is no immediate sexual drive, so does a chain smoker capitulate under no irresistible urge. Luckily, habits can be broken, if the reason to quit is powerful enough. Many people succeeded when they realized that their families were being ruined by their habit. They thought about the health and welfare of their families, and they repented.

20170911103901_81351.jpg

This is but an incomplete introduction of what smoking is, its effects and why it is difficult to quit. Salute here to those who struggle against smoking and are fighting their desperate war of will.

Tags: Quit smoking, E-cigarettes

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I disagree vehemently that nicotine is the "chief culprit," or that it is "highly addictive." The chief culprit in difficulty of quitting and staying that way is BEHAVIORAL -- you cannot do something every waking hour for many years or decades and then just stop doing it, without great and terrible effort -- ask anyone who bites their nails. It is used as a stress reliever, means of relaxation, social nexus, means of increasing focus and energy, and reward -- you cannot eliminate something that fills that many roles without great and terrible effort. Finally, it combines several different chemicals in its physically-addictive effects, only one of which is nicotine; the others are the monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) harman and norharman, along with the minor effects of the lesser tobacco alkaloids, all of which work together on the reward centers and biochemistry of the brain, chiefly in the brain's use of dopamine, which affects mood, attention (focus), and sense of well-being.

If nicotine really was the "chief culprit" in cigarette addiction, all the other methods of nicotine replacement therapy would be a GREAT deal more effective than they are. Vaping is so much more effective than any of them, even when vaping with very low or zero nicotine, BECAUSE of the starring role of BEHAVIOR in the cigarette addiction.

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Whole Tobacco Alkaloids are why cigarettes are so addicting - and the hand to mouth action is a hard habit to break

Nicotine, not so much

Cacuqecig

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I disagree vehemently that nicotine is the "chief culprit," or that it is "highly addictive." The chief culprit in difficulty of quitting and staying that way is BEHAVIORAL -- you cannot do something every waking hour for many years or decades and then just stop doing it, without great and terrible effort -- ask anyone who bites their nails. It is used as a stress reliever, means of relaxation, social nexus, means of increasing focus and energy, and reward -- you cannot eliminate something that fills that many roles without great and terrible effort. Finally, it combines several different chemicals in its physically-addictive effects, only one of which is nicotine; the others are the monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) harman and norharman, along with the minor effects of the lesser tobacco alkaloids, all of which work together on the reward centers and biochemistry of the brain, chiefly in the brain's use of dopamine, which affects mood, attention (focus), and sense of well-being.

If nicotine really was the "chief culprit" in cigarette addiction, all the other methods of nicotine replacement therapy would be a GREAT deal more effective than they are. Vaping is so much more effective than any of them, even when vaping with very low or zero nicotine, BECAUSE of the starring role of BEHAVIOR in the cigarette addiction.

Andria
Right that makes sense since patches and nicotine gums are not nearly as effective as they should have been

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Whole Tobacco Alkaloids are why cigarettes are so addicting - and the hand to mouth action is a hard habit to break

Nicotine, not so much

I agree that they're very important for a great many of us... but y'know, even if there was WTA in patches and/or gum, I'm not sure either would work for me, because of that "urge to suck" which only something like a cigarette ever seemed to fulfill -- which is one reason why I still need such a tight draw in my vape, after being smoke-free for over 3 yrs (the other reason being that Virginia Slims naturally have a very tight draw, they're so slender and densely-packed, and I smoked those for over 30 yrs). And though I've never been concerned with "dense vapor," there does need to be SOMETHING exhaled, as part of the whole action. Though I use 85%-87% PG, when I once tried 90%, I found the vapor just a little too thin for satisfaction.

All of that, and most of the stuff that vapers discuss around here, gets down to behavior, behavioral cues, etc. Even one's preference for this or that flavor, still very much a behavioral issue, as a matter of personal preference -- I don't switch flavors around, I vape the same thing all the time, because one of the foremost things I sought from cigarettes, and now from vaping, is familiarity -- familiar comfort. It needs to taste the way I'm accustomed to it tasting, or it doesn't satisfy.

Andria

VU Sponsors