Become a Patron!

Think it's a flashlight battery.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I do have some 18650 flashlights but....
20 - 30 amps is a LOT of power and can do a LOT of damage Don't cheap out on batteries and learn to respect them.

EDIT: What I should have said is don't treat a high current battery like it's a AA, AAA, C, D or some other household battery.
Disrespected they will do nasty things. Think fire, bad burns or at worse BOOM.

Last edited:

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
20 - 30 amps is a LOT of power and can do a LOT of damage Don't cheap out on batteries and learn to respect them.
I have a couple, too. When I first started, I looked at them and was like, 5,000 mah? Heck yeah! Looked up what ICR meant and some other things about battery safety...they have not been and never will be in my mods.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've never used a 18650 flashlight.

Do they typically have a higher amp draw (the flashlight) like vape gear?

Most of the 18650 flashlights I have seen were on fastech. They were too pricey IMO. I can't see spending 100+ on a flashlight when my Maglite's have served me well. Rechargeable batteries appeal to me (18650) but to spend that much on a flashlight doesn't.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I've never used a 18650 flashlight.

Do they typically have a higher amp draw (the flashlight) like vape gear?
Typically, they do not.

Li-ion batteries have, in addition to their mAH (milliamp hour) rating, a "C" rating, which is the maximum sustained current draw. My Tenergy 18650s have a C rating of something like 2C, if memory serves. They're 2600mAH batteries, so that means a max sustained discharge rate of about 5.2A.

There are some real flame-thrower LED lights which undoubtedly require the kinds of discharge rates vaping mods do, but those are lights that are driven so hard they've got cooling fins on the heads and can burn you if they've been running too long. The heads on a couple of my lights can get uncomfortably warm, but not that hot.

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine is an LED, so very low amp draw. But it is extremely bright, 1,200 lumens and it's only about as long as two 18650 batteries. I picked it up for like $50 with two batteries and a charger at music and arts festival here.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes most 18650 for flashlights are low amp protected cells. But I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

I was referring to new vapors thinking that 20 -30A cells were the same as AA, AAA or other low power batteries. My bad.

Went back and edited the OP.

Last edited:

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
All of the Chinese "Fire" brands are flashlight companies named so to sort of compete with or clone Surefire flashlights. Many flashlights use 18650 batteries, they mostly use protected cells I think, like Angrygod50 says.
I'm not sure of the amp draw but I think mostly a whole lot less than you see in vaping, but they're getting more powerful everyday.

I think there are some custom heads and super crazy flashlights that may be pulling close to 10 amps? but I'm just guessing cos I don't nerd out on flashlights too much.

A good general rule would be to not use any battery with the word "Fire" in the name for vaping. It might be ok, if you thoroughly research the battery's actual CDR and your amp draw, but by then you would see that there are better choices.

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes most 18650 for flashlights are low amp protected cells. But I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

I was referring to new vapors thinking that 20 -30A cells were the same as AA, AAA or other low power batteries. My bad.

Went back and edited the OP.
Both ways it's good info.

Sent from my LeapPad LeapFrog

VU Sponsors