Become a Patron!

Thinking about downgrading..

kpe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't smoked in several months. I tried using an kanger ego style for a long time, but I quit roughly around the time I started using the Kanger Subox. It's helped a lot for the past 6 months, but I find myself less and less satisfied with it.

However, I am considering actually downgrading my equipment. Has anyone done this? Does going backwards really suck?

Some personal reasons I want to downgrade:

• Despite the Subox being smaller for a box mod, I find box mods too awkward to carry or hold. They are too heavy. Tube mods usually appear huge as well. I'd really like something more portable.
  • Both the mini and the nano tanks I use leak horribly. I've tried many things to fix this, but I never had this problem with ego tanks.
  • I dislike the attention of large mods. As I mentioned this is just my personal preference. I'd like something a little more discrete.
  • I feel like sub-ohm vaping involves constant tinkering.
I am wondering if maybe I just need to give something else a try with sub-ohms. Or if there is a better brand than Kanger. The Halo Tracer looks reasonable in size but I'd still prefer something a little smaller.
If downgrading, I've also considered using the Halo Triton... Any thoughts / other ideas?

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
well downgrading as you put it is one way to go for sure. the overall size of the battery makes up for length of the mod. the capacity of the tank and coil size determines the over all height and width of the tank. IMHO.

if you want small in a downgraded fashion without the huge air flow the protank2 to is a small tank. as far as mod in pen styles you could get the non replaceable styles like the vision spinner or something along those lines.

if you're trying to stay subohm then i will leave it up to others.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Look at a Council of Vapor Mini Volt. 40 Watts and freaking Tiny, Tiny, Tiny! I would pair it with an Aspire Nautilus or Nautilus mini. It will give you a good amount of vapor in a tiny footprint.

G8u9lA8.jpg

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't smoked in several months. I tried using an kanger ego style for a long time, but I quit roughly around the time I started using the Kanger Subox. It's helped a lot for the past 6 months, but I find myself less and less satisfied with it.

However, I am considering actually downgrading my equipment. Has anyone done this? Does going backwards really suck?

Some personal reasons I want to downgrade:

• Despite the Subox being smaller for a box mod, I find box mods too awkward to carry or hold. They are too heavy. Tube mods usually appear huge as well. I'd really like something more portable.
  • Both the mini and the nano tanks I use leak horribly. I've tried many things to fix this, but I never had this problem with ego tanks.
  • I dislike the attention of large mods. As I mentioned this is just my personal preference. I'd like something a little more discrete.
  • I feel like sub-ohm vaping involves constant tinkering.
I am wondering if maybe I just need to give something else a try with sub-ohms. Or if there is a better brand than Kanger. The Halo Tracer looks reasonable in size but I'd still prefer something a little smaller.
If downgrading, I've also considered using the Halo Triton... Any thoughts / other ideas?
you are not downgrading you are finding out what works best for you...don't listen to the buzz and hype...just vape what works for you, and let the crowd play follow the leader.
Go into a good tobacconist shop...there is hundreds of cigars, hundreds of pipe tobaccos, pipes, there is roll uour own machines and tobaccos for roll your own cigs, there is cigarettes from a hundred companies,there is clove cigarettes,cigarillos,chew,snuff.....there isn't a NEWEST, or upgraded forum of smoking.

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Look at a Council of Vapor Mini Volt. 40 Watts and freaking Tiny, Tiny, Tiny! I would pair it with an Aspire Nautilus or Nautilus mini. It will give you a good amount of vapor in a tiny footprint.

G8u9lA8.jpg
I might even get one for myself, at least, to add to my collection of mods. However, I do see myself utilizing it for short trips on the road, or as another backup. (Can't have enough backups :))

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wanted to chime in here about the mini-volt. It is great! I love the vengeance tank from cov and couldn't resist getting the mini kit. I have had it a few days and it is great! I don't know about using other tanks with it as all my tanks are subohm and require higher wattages, but I must say that the included tank is great, especially the top fill (something i hope cov will institute on the vengeance), it holds a good amount of juice and hits nicely. Only con is it can whistle a little bit with airflow wide open if you are pulling on it hard, but that is resolved by closing the adjustable airflow a bit.

Vape Society Supply has the kit for $41 which is a steal, and I must say that their service and speed is amazing! I ordered on tuesday evening and it was delivered Thursday evening! Pretty incredible from CA to MN! www.vapesocietysupply.com

Good luck and hope you find something you like and keep on vaping!

GtownGeorge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Don't know if this is to big for you but I really like my eleaf iJust 2. I am still using a spinner when I am out and about but as soon as that craps out or I use up all my Aspire K1 coils, I am getting another iJust 2. It's a 22mm 2600mah battery and overall length is about 6 inches.

MorpheusPA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't really have any specific models (although I do like the look of the Mini Volt above). However, I do have experience with "downgrading."

Most of the time, I use an eVic VTC Mini. However, anytime I need to be hands-free, such as gardening, making soap, or preparing flats of seedlings, I turn to my old Volt Spinner automatics (not recommended by me as they do require a different thread than the standard mod, but I have a bunch of legacy stuff lying around).

While a severe technical "downgrade," the vape is entirely enjoyable and does the job.

So yes, people (me, anyway) do it with no problems!

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I guess you could say I'm enjoying a "downgrade" vape right now. I won a Lemo Drop tank from a local vape shop yesterday, and I'm really pleased with the flavor, and vapor production from this smallish tank on my IStick 20 mod which had been placed in backup reserve. I'm primarily a sub ohm vaper and this is the first time in months that I have enjoyed a vape at 1 ohm plus. In the end, it's all about what you enjoy, to hell with what anyone else thinks about it!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I guess you could say I'm enjoying a "downgrade" vape right now. I won a Lemo Drop tank from a local vape shop yesterday, and I'm really pleased with the flavor, and vapor production from this smallish tank on my IStick 20 mod which had been placed in backup reserve. I'm primarily a sub ohm vaper and this is the first time in months that I have enjoyed a vape at 1 ohm plus. In the end, it's all about what you enjoy, to hell with what anyone else thinks about it!
These do have really good flavor. I'll have to get mine back out, lol.

Zr0

Member For 4 Years

G8u9lA8.jpg

Well I know what I'll be getting next, that thing would be absolutely perfect with my Nautilus Mini.

jumphour

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
that little Vamo Box is cute. I like that you can swap batteries. I LOVE the look of the Mini Volt, with the real carbon fiber. But eventully, the whole thing is disposable, and it's too nice for the trash!

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the looks of the mini volt and might buy one soon. Another option is the kanger subvod. I have tried it and love the simplicity of it and the size is quite small.

Erik13

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe take a look at the Kanger NEbox. Tank and mod all in one and fits in your back pocket.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use a PV-1 and IBTanked Halfling tank when out and about. Its small and discreet. ..

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I wouldn't call it a downgrade, I would call it a change in taste, or style. I did a similar thing, for a good while I was vaping above 100w on series mods with massive airflow RDA's as my adv. then I switched to a 20-24w adv with a mouth to lung build as an adv. Once in a while I still went and hit the big power build but not very often. I would also sometimes go to a 40-50w flavor build on a dripper.
The good part of vaping over smoking is we have options, you should explore the ones that interest you and keep yourself moving so long as you're not going back to icky ciggies than its never a downgrade.
-the mini volt rocks, I'm a little jealous of it :)

AdubbaU

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I know what I'll be getting next, that thing would be absolutely perfect with my Nautilus Mini.
Would go very well with tobecco super tank mini, easy top fill, good flavor and very small. Have it on VTC, so are sizes current mod.
uploadfromtaptalk1453061849416.jpg

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you are looking for an easy to use pen style system check out the Innokin Endura T18, pbusardo made a nice review, its super simple and
according to him performs quite nice. Its a mouth-to-lung device with airflow and driptip similar to cigarettes but performs way better than the usual silica atomizers because of the cotton heads. And its cheap :)
review:
(also a really nice video for starters)
endura:
endura1.jpg

kpe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the replies.

The volt mini looks pretty nice; unfortunately it seems sold out almost everywhere I have looked..
I am also considering something like Innokin Endura or Subvod. However I don't understand how these differ from most Ego style devices. Also a little concerned about getting something with no voltage control again because it seems like you are out of luck if it starts giving you dry hits.

I think I'd like to possibly try something other than Kanger, but my main concern is finding coils. Understanding coil fittings is pretty confusing for me. I of course know that my Subox has different ohm coils, which I have a basic understanding of. But does each sub-ohm device have different threading / fittings? So if I got a Council of Vapor tank for example, would I need to order coils from a special vendor every time?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nope. Most anything you buy will be a 510 thread.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gtrovil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really want one of those Mini Volts! Seriously. Too cool. But for the life of me I don't know why exactly. Lol

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ditto that! Didn't know about that one until last night.
Huck, the only bad thing about it is it uses an 18350 battery so a charge doesn't last too long. I have two batteries, and aways have one in use and one charged/charging.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Huck, the only bad thing about it is it uses an 18350 battery so a charge doesn't last too long. I have two batteries, and aways have one in use and one charged/charging.
those are damn nice! I was wondering how they got one smaller than a vaporshark

CBR240

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think I'd like to possibly try something other than Kanger, but my main concern is finding coils. Understanding coil fittings is pretty confusing for me. I of course know that my Subox has different ohm coils, which I have a basic understanding of. But does each sub-ohm device have different threading / fittings? So if I got a Council of Vapor tank for example, would I need to order coils from a special vendor every time?

The general rule for coil compatibility between tank vendors is NO. Kanger coils for their Subtank/Mini/Nano do not fit Aspire tanks such as the Triton, Atlantis, ... But there are exceptions, such as some non-Aspire tanks will use the Atlantis/Triton coils.

I do not know myself if the "Council of Vapor tank" would take Kanger coils. But my guess is not. Most likely there is someone here that actually knows, but it's not me.

BTW - Hi , I'm new here. 4.5 months vaping, not smoking. My sources of vape info are mainly my son who got me started vaping and this forum, where I've been lurking for months. So thanks to all here for all the great information and entertainment I've found here.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The general rule for coil compatibility between tank vendors is NO. Kanger coils for their Subtank/Mini/Nano do not fit Aspire tanks such as the Triton, Atlantis, ... But there are exceptions, such as some non-Aspire tanks will use the Atlantis/Triton coils.

I do not know myself if the "Council of Vapor tank" would take Kanger coils. But my guess is not. Most likely there is someone here that actually knows, but it's not me.

BTW - Hi , I'm new here. 4.5 months vaping, not smoking. My sources of vape info are mainly my son who got me started vaping and this forum, where I've been lurking for months. So thanks to all here for all the great information and entertainment I've found here.
Welcome to VU, glad we could help.... and entertain.. lmao
Irish-dancing-monkeys.gif

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a few of the vengeance tanks and the mini vengeance, I highly doubt it can take any other coil as the top of the coil head threads directly into the chimney. They are great tanks, extreme flavor and great clouds. Only downside is the capacity which is a bit over 2.5mls which goes fast. It is a super easy bottom fill and I have had absolutely zero issues with leaking. The coils are .2 ohms and rated up to 100w however I have never had any reason to take them above 60w as the dense warm flavorlicious vapor is damn near perfect at that spot. The mini tank (found on the mini-volt starter kit) has a .8 coil stock but will take the .2's.

Vape society supply has the vengeance tank for $24 which is a steal! MyFreedomSmokes has 10packs of coils for $17. I cannot recommend the tank highly enough!

kpe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I decided to go with this bundle-
https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/mini-saint-bundle.html

Mini Volt + "Sikary Dicey Saint" Tank.

A little nervous about the mysterious tank, but the few reviews I could find were positive and it looks nice / small. I would have preferred a mini-vengeance (if I could find it) probably, but I am not a fan of going down to 0.2 ohm.

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The size of the mini volt is awesome but due to the mini battery i would stick to a 18650 device... as a backup ok, but besides that i dont know.
I would use a high ohm tank on that thing, nautilus mini or something like that.

edit: ah ok the dicey comes with a 1,5 ohm head, that makes perfectly sense then :)

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm on a IPV4S topped with a billow2. If I were to get something ego like, id just increase the nic, and use hi pg. that will give it some kick. No need for billowing (pun intended) clouds to get taste and a little kick...

kpe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The size of the mini volt is awesome but due to the mini battery i would stick to a 18650 device... as a backup ok, but besides that i dont know.
I would use a high ohm tank on that thing, nautilus mini or something like that.

edit: ah ok the dicey comes with a 1,5 ohm head, that makes perfectly sense then :)

I will keep my Subox as a back up at home for sure. I ordered some extra 1.0 ohm coils with the mini volt bundle, I probably should have gone 1.5 instead. I've never actually tried 1.0 before..

Also, I don't quite understand what the "0.2 ohm limit" means on the Mini Volt.

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I will keep my Subox as a back up at home for sure. I ordered some extra 1.0 ohm coils with the mini volt bundle, I probably should have gone 1.5 instead. I've never actually tried 1.0 before..

Also, I don't quite understand what the "0.2 ohm limit" means on the Mini Volt.
1.5 or 1.0 should be fine, a 0.5 or lower build will stress the small battery and drain it much faster than a higher resistance build/head/coil.
The 0.2 ohm limit means that you cant fire a atomizer with lower resistance than 0.2, to prevent damage to the battery/chip.
At 0.2 ohms and 40 watts you are pulling 14 amps from that tiny battery.
If the battery would be replaceable I would buy this thing instantly

kpe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I am on the fence about making a return to get the Vamo instead due to the replaceable battery.. Plus I never go above 20w.
It's very difficult to find the Vamo from a US vendor though.

kpe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So.. bad news update.

I strongly advise anyone reconsider ordering a Mini Volt right now. The device will not turn on after only a day of use. This is not a unique incident, after searching, this seems to be a problem with many Mini Volts. Crossing my fingers that I get a refund.

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So.. bad news update.

I strongly advise anyone reconsider ordering a Mini Volt right now. The device will not turn on after only a day of use. This is not a unique incident, after searching, this seems to be a problem with many Mini Volts. Crossing my fingers that I get a refund.
Well it seems like you have to "downgrade" a bit more, to some sturdy mech-mod stuff :D
No seriously, what really pisses me off is the fact that so so many vape companies are just blowing out products, without any serious "real life testing", they just wait and see whats happening and then come up with a stupid second Version of their product, which is most likely more expensive than the first one and on top of that they call it "invention".
Im not sure if thats the case with the mini volt but it sounds like it is to me :/
Edit: did I just describe how Apple works? :p

Last edited:

VU Sponsors