Become a Patron!

Thinking about going to 24 gauge kanthal for duals instead of 26g

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I normally use 26g kantha. I use it for singles and the rare dual I do. I was thinking about trying 24g kanthal.
I was going to use this in my Mutation, mainly for duals. I don't know how 24g works for single coils.

Can I get some thoughts on this?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've run 24g singles in my Mutation X v3 before. I've never been huge on singles, but I remember something between .3 and .4 being better than I expected. A .2-ish single parallel 24 is pretty warm and tasty. I will always recommend those for a full-on, sub-ohm single-coil vape.

Dual 24's are my favorite mech builds for both the v3 and the v4. I consider them to be sort of the benchmarks for your traditional, dual coil, sub-ohm vape. They're the definitive, high-powered builds that I think everyone should try at some point. They're nothing fancy... ...they just tick all of the boxes and always satisfy. When I'm not sure what to build, I do a dual 24g.

I find that for mechs, 2.5mm .18-.24 dual 24's fire-up real nicely and provide much better flavor, more warmth, and slightly better vapor production than dual 26g builds. The lower range is warmer and cloudier, while the upper range is cooler and tastier.

For regulated devices, I go just a little higher in resistance and diameter than I would on a mech. I usually like to be somewhere in the ballpark of .26 and .32 @ 3mm.

26g is still great to use for duals in the Mutation family, though standard dual 26g builds tend to be a bit lackluster ime. Ever try running dual-parallel 26's in one? Twisted 26's are pretty legit, too. I almost like those builds more than standard dual 24's.

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
In most of my (over 40) RDAs, I like using dual coil 24 gauge 7/6 wraps 3mm ID, which comes out at around 0.3 Ohm.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In most of my (over 40) RDAs, I like using dual coil 24 gauge 7/6 wraps 3mm ID, which comes out at around 0.3 Ohm.

Is the flavor better than what you would get from 26g?

I have a credit at KidneyPuncher and am trying to decide if I should order this. I only have 26g.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've run 24g singles in my Mutation X v3 before. I've never been huge on singles, but I remember something between .3 and .4 being better than I expected. A .2-ish single parallel 24 is pretty warm and tasty. I will always recommend those for a full-on, sub-ohm single-coil vape..

For regulated devices, I go just a little higher in resistance and diameter than I would on a mech. I usually like to be somewhere in the ballpark of .26 and .32 @ 3mm.

26g is still great to use for duals in the Mutation family, though standard dual 26g builds tend to be a bit lackluster ime. Ever try running dual-parallel 26's in one? Twisted 26's are pretty legit, too. I almost like those builds more than standard dual 24's.

I did a parallel 26g once. It worked well. I keep forgetting those. I build at 1.2 ohm any so the number of wraps is not an issue.

Would you say dual 24g taste better than dual 26g in the same RDA?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Is the flavor better than what you would get from 26g?

I have a credit at KidneyPuncher and am trying to decide if I should order this. I only have 26g.
Any coil, that produces more vapor, will produce more flavor. Since you currently only have 26 g wire, you could twist 2-3 strands together and build your coils with that.

Last edited:

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did a parallel 26g once. It worked well. I keep forgetting those. I build at 1.2 ohm any so the number of wraps is not an issue.
Well, if that's closer to the range you want to hit, then 26g might be the better wire to be using. 24g is more of a half-ohm and under wire. That's where the sweet spots for it are.

Would you say dual 24g taste better than dual 26g in the same RDA?
For sub-ohm vaping, yes, absolutely. More heat and surface area.

Last edited:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 24g coming. What the heck. Why not try it.
bf830071205291ddd7d75a4cb849ed0e.jpg
this is a dual 24 gauge build that is one of my favorites. It's 8 wraps on a 3mm bit coming in at .25 ohms.. Vapes great at 75-80w on the IPV3.. clouds/flavor are good as seen in this pic
f359d35443b604e2ac8464d22144e332.jpg

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
bf830071205291ddd7d75a4cb849ed0e.jpg
this is a dual 24 gauge build that is one of my favorites. It's 8 wraps on a 3mm bit coming in at .25 ohms.. Vapes great at 75-80w on the IPV3.. clouds/flavor are good as seen in this pic
f359d35443b604e2ac8464d22144e332.jpg

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk
Thanks. I will try that. My mutation is tasting good for some fluids I make. Can't wait to load the other mutation with this for comparison.

I had to zoom the pic. I thought the clouds were in front of a house. That would serious cloudish.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Go 24g
Twist them together
4/5 wraps on 2.5mm
Single coil
VAPE it @60-75 watts depending on the pg/VG ratio
If you like clouds go high on VG.. Very important!!

VAPE ON

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I actually like the faster heat time on the 24 than the 26.

Cubed2mod

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
X Cube 2_Mutation v4- Ive been using dual 24g 3mm coils at different wraps. Sweet spot for me has been 7-8 wraps .37 ohms 58.4 watts all day. 70-80 watts and the clouds are gigantic.
I just started using 26g, and the second build I made was dual parallel 3mm coils at 5 wraps (10 total). Came out to be .19 ohms. Chucks clouds with more flavor than I could ask for at 68 watts. Took em' to 110 watts which was crazy intense but supreme clouds (I use max vg or 80/20 at times)
To add: the first build I did with the 26g at 8 wraps came out to be .48 ohms. Its for my buddy's new mutation, and he had massive clouds at 90 watts said he keeps it at about 70 all day

Last edited:

VU Sponsors