Become a Patron!

Time for an authentic (or at least sturdy) RDA

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, so I've been through a host of clone RDAs - IGO-M (v1 and v2), Plume Veil (v1 and v2), Mutation X (v2 and v3), Magma, others slipping my mind at the moment, with varying but generally positive results.

All have one thing in common: my wife bashes them to bits and winds up with a loose, spinning center post. I swear this has something to do with them getting carted around in the mammoth abyss she calls a designer handbag, she says the abuse they suffer there is no worse than mine are subjected to in my pocket. I don't see anything different in our handling of our mods, as we both take pretty good care of them...

Regardless, hers break and mine (usually) don't. She's sick of me buying mostly FT clone crap, I don't have the budget for much else since anything I buy myself, I must buy her one too (if you were to double the cig consumption in my sig line as should be the case we're actually saving a hair of money vaping). She wants to spring for a couple high-quality RDAs in the hopes of finding something that she won't kill the center post on in a matter of weeks.

What we like - a two-hole center post for easy dual builds. Lots of adjustable airflow. A fairly snug top cap fit with stock o-rings. From there I can design a pretty simple build to trend toward clouds or flavor, though we normally shoot for a happy medium. She's still using mechs in the 0.2-0.4 ohm range, I'm using similar coils on a Sig 100 in the 50-60 watt range. What say the masses as far as suggestions in the <$60ish range?

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
CLT V2+
Tugboat V2 (three post design)

I'd try those two.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh, and tell your wife not to crank those screws too hard. I've had spinning posts on all of my RDAs except the Tugboat V2 Tobeco clone and authentic Mutation X V1.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Get a tugboat v2 or 1 .Authentic tugboat center post are only $2 to replace I'd go with that. O rings and screw's are free and the insulators are only $2 too. All sold on flawlessvapeshop.com

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
And the Tugboat is so far unbeaten IMO in all day use. It chucks the flavor and clouds in perfect balance like no other. Derringer comes close, but not quite as good.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Take a look at the El Cabron.

Compvape sent me one for review, and it is A BEAST of an RDA. Authentic, made in the USA, and it comes with enough spare parts to practically rebuild the thing twice. The best part? It's about $60. But don't take my word for it. There are some big name reviewers out there who have put it through the paces and love it also. The Tugboat v2 has always been my favorite RDA, but after using the El Cabron, I may have to change my tune.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
IMO, the Tugboat doesn't have that much airflow. It's more designed for flavor. Since you have the Mutation X already, the Troll RDA or as already mentioned the CLT V2 Plus. However, I'm not sure the post won't spin either.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
#tuglyfe it has a balance of flavor and clouds or you can buy The anarchist top cap for The tug for them clouds yo! 6 staggered holes like the mutation x

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was never able to break any atty, well besides an iclear 30 that i purposely broke and it deserved it:)

OBDave, Sounds like you have an idea of the features and options you would like your RDA to have, all things considered I would say a Doge v2. I wasn't a fan of the first version however the second version has been completely revamped. 3mm post holes, adjustable airflow, "air injection" hole in top cap to cool down the vapor, SQUARE center post/ 2 piece insulator so the chances of it spinning are little to none. Now, this atomizer does only have 3 posts, and not the 4 post design, but the other features make it worthwhile. I am a 4 post person myself usually, but the size of the holes in the posts make it so that it doesn't really matter what size wire you are using, it's all gonna fit and it's gonna be effortless.

Good luck, man.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Take a look at the El Cabron.

Compvape sent me one for review, and it is A BEAST of an RDA. Authentic, made in the USA, and it comes with enough spare parts to practically rebuild the thing twice. The best part? It's about $60. But don't take my word for it. There are some big name reviewers out there who have put it through the paces and love it also. The Tugboat v2 has always been my favorite RDA, but after using the El Cabron, I may have to change my tune.
The elcarbon is way over priced! Now a days atty's are around 20-30 bucks...

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
CENTER POST KILLER!!
Little boy RDA PLUS by cigreen!
Dodge v2
Dragon RDA by cigreen
I don't own any clt versions its just not my style...
Originvape and vapordna has the best selections of 1:1 clone and cheap authentic RDA...
Good luck, and tell ur wife to take it easy on the CP! Or maybe tell her to built a single coil!!
VAPE ON

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Lol you think that's overpriced? It's an authentic piece made by an American conpany. I'm seriously thinking about that for my next RDA. Love the different top caps and that it comes with spare parts for everything Try and get that from any clone.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
You're crazy. :confused:

That is an authentic, American-made product, not some cheap Chinese clone. All things considered...the build quality and all the extras you get with it, the El Cabron is one of the best deals out there IMHO.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks all for the replies! I've been reading good things about the CLT for some time, that's definitely short-listed, along with a few others like the Cabron that are new to me I'll have to check out, even though they're single-hole on the center post...

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
#tuglyfe it has a balance of flavor and clouds or you can buy The anarchist top cap for The tug for them clouds yo! 6 staggered holes like the mutation x
Tugboat V2 for lyfe. Guys at Flawless have found the perfect golden middle in terms of flavor and clouds.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Tugboat V2 for lyfe. Guys at Flawless have found the perfect golden middle in terms of flavor and clouds.
A week ago, I would've agreed with you.

The Tugboat v2 was the first RDA I purchased, and it has definitely lived up to its reputation. I've bought several RDAs since, and none of them have rivaled the Tugboat. Until...the El Cabron.

It's cheaper than the Tugboat, also made in the USA, and the flavor is just as good. But if you're looking to chase clouds, the Tugboat is pretty limited, and where the El Cabron totally outshines it. Even with a single coil flavor chasing build, the El Cabron will literally blow circles around the Tugboat. It's not even close. With a huge 5mm deep juice well and 3mm post holes, the builds you can do are unlimited. The El Cabron also comes with 3 different drip tips: normal, wide (Delrin), and a competition stainless one with a built in heat sink.

The Tugboat is great for what it is, and I still love it. But the El Cabron is the new top dog for me.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Haha, okay. So far the only real rival for my Tugboat has been Derringer, fun little atty. And im over clouds, just seems a bit pointless now. Lesser airflow gives me a better vaping experience.

That being said, i would have gotten the El Cabron but i missed the pre-order.

Prsurf2k

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LMAO!!!!!! some one please look up the meaning of "El Cabron", it's a spanish word and also look up what reactions are to being called this in different spanish speaking countries. You will either be amazed or very amused, to like me when i saw the name of this RDA I was literally LMAO outloud at work.

Prsurf2k

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I tried to look at it from here(work) but this netwrok doesn't let me to to some sites for whatever reason. gotta love Gov't work.:cool:Wonder, does it have it CNC'ed on the side?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're crazy. :confused:

That is an authentic, American-made product, not some cheap Chinese clone. All things considered...the build quality and all the extras you get with it, the El Cabron is one of the best deals out there IMHO.
Bro for me its overpriced!
How can you justify $125 for an RDA??

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Bro for me its overpriced!
How can you justify $125 for an RDA??
Well, first of all someone has to think about making a new RDA. Then it has to be designed on paper. Then you have to make the prototypes, and fix the design even further. Then you have to start making those, buying materials, maintaining the machines, paying for some dude to actually machine your product, QC, etc etc. List goes on like that for a while, and its all expenses. Only once you manage sell them you start actually making money, and even then it takes a while you can make a profit.

And in the same time chinese children are being forced to clone your product so cheap its not possible for you to compete. So yeah. I can see why authentic pieces are expensive.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, first of all someone has to think about making a new RDA. Then it has to be designed on paper. Then you have to make the prototypes, and fix the design even further. Then you have to start making those, buying materials, maintaining the machines, paying for some dude to actually machine your product, QC, etc etc. List goes on like that for a while, and its all expenses. Only once you manage sell them you start actually making money, and even then it takes a while you can make a profit.

And in the same time chinese children are being forced to clone your product so cheap its not possible for you to compete. So yeah. I can see why authentic pieces are expensive.

all I'm saying is that there will always be a market for authentics, and I'm not included in that market, I will spend $100 for a /hybrid/regulated box mod though,but never for a RDA, the most I spent on a RDA was a stillare v2 75 bucks with drip tip... Then I sold it in eBay for $150... The cloners/chinese are the reason why the vaping community grew very fast, finally vapers don't have to be on a waiting list/facebook list/ group buy and wait for 3 months before they get the products!! I think American vendors have to adjust,for example the MUTATION SERIES RDA,THE DOGE RDA,THIS ARE American design china made RDA...not because its made in America its better!! Imo
We Americans don't make shit in this country anymore.. The Chinese are the largest exporter of STEEL in the world,now go figure..why stuff is cheap over there.

Last edited:

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
470x268px-LL-3d581886_will-smith-men-in-black-3-470x268.jpeg

Soooo....You'll pay $100 for a clone mod and $75 for a clone RDA, but $60 is too expensive for an authentic Made in the USA product?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
470x268px-LL-3d581886_will-smith-men-in-black-3-470x268.jpeg

Soooo....You'll pay $100 for a clone mod and $75 for a clone RDA, but $60 is too expensive for an authentic Made in the USA product?
Read properly before responding!!
Yes $60 bucks is too much for a tiny little thing!!

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
To each their own i guess. Cloning has definetely been a good thing, since authentics are pricy and pretty much sold out all the time. The downside is that doesnt bring enough coin to the authentic companys, and with these big tobacco companies lobbying their products and making vaping harder (tax), vaping business cant do nothing about that because all the money is going to China. And they dont give a shit.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
And what happens in the States pretty much affects the rest of the world too. EU is starting to make some idiotic rules about vaping gear. One was especially devastating, if it goes through it dictates that all vaporizors should deliver a "controlled, even dose" so basically every device would be the same. No more rebuildables, no more variable anything.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Go for a Hobo. Those posts won't spin because they aren't posts. The positive, "post," is a milled copper split block. The negative posts are milled into the deck like a Tobh. It's an awesome atty.

Kkay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would consider a Tugboat v2, or if that is too much definitely think about the Vulcan. They have one with more air flow now too. You can purchase the "cloud chasing sleeve", if you prefer, to go with the Vulcan. I think the newest shipped Vulcans come with that sleeve, but I could be wrong about that.
Another one to consider is Vicious Ant Cyclone with Cyclops AFC. What about the Veritas, their newest version?

Last edited:

TwistedVaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I own every RDA mention except the "El Cabron"

My favorite is probably tugboat v2 except for the fact the the center post is garbage and strips very easily

But for what you are looking for I would recommend....

Hobo which you can find in stock here
http://www.vapertech.com/collections/rebuildables/products/hobo-rda-by-hobo-customs

Or Infinte CLT v2

And for three post setups I would recommend

Tugboat v2- stay away from the Tiffany blue though

Derringer v1.2

immafool

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
to the OP... what the rest have said are great options... but best bang for your buck right now in terms of authentic IMO is the TOBH (any version)... built solid, 3 post, decently sized drip well, great air flow and flavor... its really easy to set up too in either single or dual.. heck i've even seen people put a ridiculous # of coils in their tobh (my buddy just wrapped a 6 coil build in his tobh easily... providing enough power to heat the coils is a whole other moster though lol)...

i just picked up a perfect condition authentic tobh v1 for 25$ shipped to my door.. mind you that is 25$ canadian.. so that's what, like 1$ usd? (the exchange rate kills us on the other side of the border).. but i always tell people that are looking for their first or even a good rda to look into the tobh attys... really can't go wrong...

there are a stupid amount of attachments for the tobh available too... so you can "pimp" out your rda to make it look however you want it to look (different sleeves, drip tips, etc).

enough chit chat.. here's my current setup.. this sucka chucka da clouds.

hBmKpQB.jpg

*tobh v2 + VS dna40 + chuff enuff DT

Last edited:

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ill cast a vote for the authentic CLTv2. Its super solid, well fitted, and very well designed. Flavor and clouds in one nice package.
The best part? Its 35-40 dollars.
Rda's like this show the intelligence of american companies who outsource manufacturing.
THEY KNOW MAKING IT THEMSELVES WILL BE COST PROHIBITIVE TO ALMOST EVERONE!!! Sooooo, send the plans to the sweat shop, and save me some money. I personally would never have paid over 50dollars for this rda, or any for that matter.

Ive handled a few us made authentics, namely the Lethal and the tugboat. They were nice, like really nice, jewelry nice, but I dont wear jewelry or find image that important. I have an authentic chinese sigelei 150, but thats a whole different category, and I pray for its long life, because I probably wont be able to buy another one if it dies.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm really enjoying these new affordable authentics. You can drop $35 on a New Doge V2 and its great. I've been using it now for about 3 weeks and so far no issues what so ever.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
CLT V2+
Tugboat V2 (three post design)

I'd try those two.

I have an authentic tug v2. Center post started spinning after a month. I got it when they first came out. Maybe they tweeked them since then. I need to get the parts to fix it. It should have came with a replacement IMO. Even a lot of cheap clones come with a extra center post grommet. I love the atty though. Just expected more for $89 I hate spinning center post it is the best way to kill a stellar build.

Kkay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Kkay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The slam cap for it is 35 dollars alone. That is just crazy.
Still, I would like to try one. I hear they are the best.

I have an authentic tug v2. Center post started spinning after a month. I got it when they first came out. Maybe they tweeked them since then. I need to get the parts to fix it. It should have came with a replacement IMO. Even a lot of cheap clones come with a extra center post grommet. I love the atty though. Just expected more for $89 I hate spinning center post it is the best way to kill a stellar build.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The slam cap for it is 35 dollars alone. That is just crazy.
Still, I would like to try one. I hear they are the best.

Unless yyou need wide open airflow the stock cap is fine and all the way open is pretty airy.

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
HAZE RDA... Four holes... Great flavor and clouds if you build it right...

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The doge v2 is affordable and a great value- I've seen some that friends have and they blow clouds with them... Had it for a second, but returned it because it had a tilted 510 connection and would lean to one side- inspect it. It's a great RDA... Just wasn't comfortable with it after my experience

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I gotta throw a word in for the Little Boy by MCV... Great little atty... Flavor and has the ability to create its own micro climate change detectable by Doppler systems

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the "little boy" only one major drawback for me is that is leaks a lot.

VU Sponsors