Become a Patron!

Titanium wire for TC questions

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So for all you Temperature control users out there, my question is have you tired titanium wire and if so, does it work, is it safe and where do you get it. Also, what are the benefits of titanium over ni200, other than the allergy thing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have some titanium coils coming, but I haven't used titanium yet. One thing I do want to point out, since I've seen this come up before, is that while I'm highly allergic to nickel on my skin, I've had absolutely no trouble with vaping it. I can even wrap coils with bare hands, since the nickel doens't seem to be in contact with my skin long enough to cause an issue.

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have the nickel coils coming. Are a lot of people allergic to it? I keep reading that there is an "allergy thing".

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always ask for my change in pennies, dimes, and quarters. If I touch a nickel, I have an immediate allergic reaction. Not sure if it's the nickel, or if I have an issue with Thomas Jefferson.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the nickel coils coming. Are a lot of people allergic to it? I keep reading that there is an "allergy thing".

I haven't heard about anyone having an allergy issue vaping nickel wire. Plenty of people have skin sensitivities, but it doesn't appear to translate to vaping with nickel. However, I think those of us who do have skin issues should be aware and watch for funky symptoms (exploding lungs? LOL):p

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just posting to get informed when someone answers the "where do I get it" question. I don't have temperature control yet. I've delayed 'cause my body hates Nickel. I delayed long enough for Joyetech to announce the Evic VT which has a Ti mode based on a severe nickel allergy. Now I need to source some Ti and look forward to this thread getting some traction.

Thanks for sharing your experience @AmandaD. Don't know how severe your allergy is, but my watch and all jewelry are Ti 'cause my body attacks any metal with a nickel content. Heck, even the metal bits my hand was rebuilt with are titanium. I've learned that there is very little metal measured in vapor aerosol, but I'll feel better - figuratively and literally - if it is less likely to be airborne nickel.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just posting to get informed when someone answers the "where do I get it" question. I don't have temperature control yet. I've delayed 'cause my body hates Nickel. I delayed long enough for Joyetech to announce the Evic VT which has a Ti mode based on a severe nickel allergy. Now I need to source some Ti and look forward to this thread getting some traction.

Thanks for sharing your experience @AmandaD. Don't know how severe your allergy is, but my watch and all jewelry are Ti 'cause my body attacks any metal with a nickel content. Heck, even the metal bits my hand was rebuilt with are titanium. I've learned that there is very little metal measured in vapor aerosol, but I'll feel better - figuratively and literally - if it is less likely to be airborne nickel.

It used to be that much more costume jewelry contained nickel than it does nowaways. My ears would swell up and bleed - it was nasty! I had to make sure my watches were nickel-free stainless on the back (and the buckles). I think it's such a common allergy it's now used much less in jewelry.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't expect ant allergy issues with vaping on nickel wire. It's not going to get hot enough during normal use to emit fumes. If you're breathing nickel from your coils, there's another serious issue to contend with, and that's going to be the fire you're inhaling from the blazing wicks.

Titanium offers many benefits.
The heat up and cool down time is fast, easier to work with, and another great benefit is that you can use it on TC devices or non-temp devices.

Nickel allergy is one of the most common: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/nickel-allergy/basics/definition/con-20027616

There are some TI suppliers in Europe (Germany - esmokeguru)

There are only a few in US,

Bit of self-promotion here: Envy's Spider Silk is one of the first US suppliers and offers surgical grade 1 titanium (99.5%+ Pure) wire for vaping.

Youtuber vapingwithtwisted420 featured it in 6 of his tempocolips series videos last week.
If you want to learn more about the available TC devices he is a great resource for reviews, pbusardo is another who can offer technical information.

Regardless of where you buy it, TI works really well, offers great flavor and the builds typically will last about 2-3 times longer than other wires.

Be careful when using TI wire:
  1. 1/3rd resistance of kanthal, so make sure you are building correctly and use ohm meter and 30+ Amp battery
  2. Do not dry burn like kanthal - pulse heat only
  3. Titanium dioxide can form if you dry burn, and although the daily exposure limit is 15mg you still want to avoid it
  4. There will be an increase in resistance as TI gets hotter
  5. Works great on most TC devices, but 300-350 F is recommended
Hope this is informative. Vape safely!

I used ni200 for a few weeks and at first it was great but found the taste was incredibly muted after a short period to the point where flavour was just nonexistent, it was probably a problem with my wicking method least that's what I read up on was even though I was getting plumes of vaper! I also found i would get hot spots even on couls were perfect and the connections were all good and in temp mode and as you know you really want to avoid this.I got some 26awg and 28awg pure titanium wire 2 weeks ago and I thought I could now do contact coils in temp mode, although it worked, it works much better with spaced coils, I currently use it in my subtank mini and plume veil on my snow wolf 200w le and I can't fault it, it's miles easier to wrap than nickel and it's so easy to rewick and the flavour is smashing after about 4 days I felt the need to rewick and even after 2 weeks I'm still using the same coil although they look horrible they still proform amazing and the taste is still there. In my opinion moving from nickel to titanium was the best thing I've ever done even though I don't believe I have a nickel allergic reactions it was just a no go.

Hope this helps :)

Also got the titanium off eBay was £4.49 for each roll of 5 meters and got a bit of free organic cotton. Bit more than nickel but lasts a hell of a lot longer :)

Last edited:

skizzums

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
regardless, if your getting a JoyeTech TC mod, I can promise you that the option for TC with stainless steel is far more pleasurable than Ni or Ti, and more cost effective. The Joy etch runs my 316L SS perfectly, right outta the box, I know have my nickel spools dedicated for my Kangers. I won't even consider a future TC mod that doesn't read stainless stell, it's a joy to work with (might I say better than Kanthal?), it's cheap and it tastes so much cleaner and lasts forever. I found a ton of great deals on SS, I think my latest from from Kidney Puncher in 26ga, not sure if it was the cheapest but I was buying a couple other items anyway, and it was cheap for 100 feet. If you wanna get the best out of your TC and you decide NOT to go with a SSL capable mod, then make sure you get one that can read down to 0.1 ohms if you wanna have some fun with it. The Wismec is under 40$ at the moment and is SS out of the box, and perfect might I add, I'm sure the e-vic 75 is all the well.

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Newer eVic-VTC mini firmware updates look like it probably fixes it, but I can attest that v2.0 is absolutely unusable for TC with stainless 316L.

VU Sponsors