Become a Patron!

Traveling to Zihuatanejo Mexico

Just joined VU and had a few questions for people who have traveled to Mexico (especially the Zihuatanejo area) and brought their gear with them. After reading a few other threads, I have seen a variety of stories that end in either having stuff confiscated or no issues at all. I will be staying at a resort down there for about a week and plan on bringing Smok AL85 Baby with tank, 2-4 batteries, charger and about 60ml or so in juice. I am not concerned with the flights as I have read up on both TSA and individual flight requirements when traveling with my gear. I am more concerned with getting into Mexico with my gear. Any experiences or advice? Thank you in advance :)

I will continue digging and see what I can find. I obviously don't want my gear taken from me & don't want any trouble. I would rather vape (even if I have to go to designated areas) than start smoking death sticks again. That being said, thank you for the input so far. I appreciate it. I will likely contact the resort and if possible any other organization(s) I need to so I can get the proper information I need.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I doubt you will get it taken away, if you follow the local ordinances when it comes to smoking areas, as that article I copied here treats ecig's as smoking.
One of our admin travels to Mexico often, maybe he can give you some tips too
@SMOKIE

I appreciate it. I have no issue following smoking laws and really just want a stress free vacation that allows me to continue my daily routines. My current main concern is getting it into the country and through customs with no issues.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Smokie would know all the answers to that, I have tagged him to try to help you out, Hope everything goes smoothly for your trip:wave:

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Hello @Seeko and welcome to the forum,

I travel to Mexico every 6 months or so, last time was a few weeks ago Feb 2017 with flying into the Cancun airport.

The time before that was in Aug 2016, and they were confiscating e-cig gear but passed mine through with no issues even tho I was asked if I had any with me, I said NO! The law in Mexico is that you can not import into the country or sell any e-cigs in Mexico.

Now on my past trip I was Not asked if I had any. I think now they realize we are bringing them in for personal use not importing but then again it all depends on who you get, and if the light turns red for you that they will examine the inside of your bags.

Here is what I do to avoid all this even if they examine my bags.

I put my juices with no labels in my check in bag at a cost of $25 under 50 lbs, and put extra coils, a extra tank or RBA in one of my toiletry bags mixed in with other junk razors, toothbrush etc. You can put the charger in any bag, check in or carry on.

Two mods, one tank, one unlabeled bottle of juice I keep in my carry on or on me till I get to US screening TSA

When you go through TSA screening leaving from the US take the tank off, and put in a quart plastic zip lock bag along with your juice bottle. You are only allowed one quart bag in a carry on bag.. And for your batteries they MUST be in PROTECTIVE CASES in your Carry On bag ONLY, NOT ALLOWED in the check on bag.

Now after you pass the US TSA screening take your mods, juice, and tank, and keep them on YOU, put in your pockets a MUST.

Once arrived in Mexico you Do Not get searched or go though any body x-ray, only your bags may get searched if the light turns red for you.

Hope this helps, and have a great trip.

PS When I travel anywhere taking a plane I bring two internal battery mods so no need for bats, and chargers just a USB cable, and wall wart.

16729567_1303379676366887_3014989219812289592_n.jpg unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, I appreciate the input. I am much less worried now that I have input from people who have experienced this. I will keep it on me when we board the flight to go to Mexico. I will have to have everything on my carry on though. Last I checked, both Alaska Airlines and Delta don't allow vape liquid in larger amounts in checked baggage. Unless I am missing something, I may just have to bring a few 30 mL bottles. Either way I feel much more relaxed about it and will figure that out as I do more reading. Thank you again!

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Thank you, I appreciate the input. I am much less worried now that I have input from people who have experienced this. I will keep it on me when we board the flight to go to Mexico. I will have to have everything on my carry on though. Last I checked, both Alaska Airlines and Delta don't allow vape liquid in larger amounts in checked baggage. Unless I am missing something, I may just have to bring a few 30 mL bottles. Either way I feel much more relaxed about it and will figure that out as I do more reading. Thank you again!
If you have no labels on any bottles no one will know what is in them, I normally bring a 30 ml for everyday, 7 day vacation then seven 30 ml bottles.

VU Sponsors