Become a Patron!

Trying to deal with a horrible co-worker

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good evening all,

I've been at this same job for 5 years now. I get paid well, the work is good. Ever since I started, a peer in the same dept as me has been on me pretty bad. I'm fairly sure with the upcoming retirement of my buddy here, this horrible co-worker will attempt to get me fired.

This worker has very poor communication skills, instead of just talking to people, he emails them an inquiry or complaint, to managers and the whole dept. This worker has little to no working relationships with any of the other depts, and typically I get the work he cannot or will not do.

I know he has been to HR recently for basically telling an office woman she was dumb or something along those lines. We are in a union so, the managerial staff cannot just fire him. I am looking into writing a formal letter of complaint on behalf of at least 10 peers he has accosted. I could deal with him if he actually just did his work and stayed out of the way of progress, but I don't see that happening.

Basically how do I deal with a mouth piece who has no adequate skill to do this job? I'm sick of the condescending emails and his lack of effort on any level to do his work. I'm trying to be nice to him, but I really want to break his teeth out.

Thanks to anyone who reads my rant

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good evening all,

I've been at this same job for 5 years now. I get paid well, the work is good. Ever since I started, a peer in the same dept as me has been on me pretty bad. I'm fairly sure with the upcoming retirement of my buddy here, this horrible co-worker will attempt to get me fired.

This worker has very poor communication skills, instead of just talking to people, he emails them an inquiry or complaint, to managers and the whole dept. This worker has little to no working relationships with any of the other depts, and typically I get the work he cannot or will not do.

I know he has been to HR recently for basically telling an office woman she was dumb or something along those lines. We are in a union so, the managerial staff cannot just fire him. I am looking into writing a formal letter of complaint on behalf of at least 10 peers he has accosted. I could deal with him if he actually just did his work and stayed out of the way of progress, but I don't see that happening.

Basically how do I deal with a mouth piece who has no adequate skill to do this job? I'm sick of the condescending emails and his lack of effort on any level to do his work. I'm trying to be nice to him, but I really want to break his teeth out.

Thanks to anyone who reads my rant

Dude... patience!
If you want this ASSHOLE OUT! Make sure MAJORIty are involve!
Do signature petition... then walk to the boss with ur co-workers! AGAIN!!
MAJORITY..

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude... patience!
If you want this ASSHOLE OUT! Make sure MAJORIty are involve!
Do signature petition... then walk to the boss with ur co-workers! AGAIN!!
MAJORITY..

I know, patience is hard to keep for years though. I know at least 4 of the managers are on my side here, it's just excessive frustration. Especially when I'm fairly sure he's trying to sabotage my work.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know, patience is hard to keep for years though. I know at least 4 of the managers are on my side here, it's just excessive frustration. Especially when I'm fairly sure he's trying to sabotage my work.

Get the majority sign a petition signatures and walk to the boss with ur union rep, demand to stop the WORK HARASSMENT! If that doesn't work, you all should bring it up to labor relations with your union rep! If you ever wanna do something to him, do it after work hours!

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Keep any/all emails you find offensive. File a "hostile workplace" complaint with management. He/she IS making it a hostile work environment. File one every time the jerk acts like an asshole. Be it in e-mail form OR verbal.

After a few complaints, they will have no choice but to fire them or face a lawsuit.

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been keeping all the correspondence that this guy has sent me. I've told my manager that I feel bullied and singled out by these emails, he has told me that several others in my dept have also complained verbally.

@freemind ; I thank you for the wording of - hostile workplace - that totally suits this situation.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Suck it up buttercup, or quit. that is what the union provides for you.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
shake_80_anim_gif.gif

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Dude the thing I posted is not a prank it is revenge... sweet sweet revenge.
I have the feeling they are going to be put all over hell in back in the west wing come Jan.
Visine can besides making the person shit their pants, it can kill them.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I can say from experience the "suck it up" and the union can end you up in deep shit and a total breakdown.

I wont go into details but the workplace, especially the night shift and hospital environment can be a viscous place. I tried to suck it up for years and I lost it, Lost my case, lost my self confidence, lost my self worth. Most of all, it made me loose any trust in my "fellow man"

Make sure you keep track of everything, do the hostile work environment and trust no one. THose people you think are on your side or you think feel the same will all disappear when it comes to having your back. People are shitty . They love the taking of sides and pretending to be sympathetic, and when it comes down to it, they will cover their asses and keep out of it.

I lost everything that I worked so hard for, because I did not want to be a whiny bitch and the union only cares about themselves and the money and when it comes to them taking sides they will just stand in the middle because that what unions do. THey breed ineptitude, lack of pride in your work and the attitude that I cant get fired cause Im in a union, unless of course I shoot a few people, then maybe the union will say it was not your fault and make them pay you till you decide you can come back.

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So here's a quick update. I have a new boss. He writes up the idiot everytime the idiot either screws up or refuses to do his job. My new boss is really bearing down on my shop and it's wonderful. The good workers get great treatment, the idiot gets reamed out constantly. At this rate, I do believe the idiot will not have a job here in the future.

It's really relieving the majority of my work stress.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So here's a quick update. I have a new boss. He writes up the idiot everytime the idiot either screws up or refuses to do his job. My new boss is really bearing down on my shop and it's wonderful. The good workers get great treatment, the idiot gets reamed out constantly. At this rate, I do believe the idiot will not have a job here in the future.

It's really relieving the majority of my work stress.

Did ya ever goose the turd a little???

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
We're glad it's getting better under the new boss but - did you ever toss a stink bomb in the bathroom while he was in it or give him another type of harmless message....

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya well, because of his cat obsessed personality. I found this thing called the licki brush. It's a mouth dildo fake ass cat tongue with bumps for their pleasure. I got one, gave it to a guy at work, awesome dude at work dropped it on idiots desk during day shift, so I am not implicated. We have been pretty much dying over that joke. Like 45 people in my group. All laughing at him. During the Xmas work party.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Ya well, because of his cat obsessed personality. I found this thing called the licki brush. It's a mouth dildo fake ass cat tongue with bumps for their pleasure. I got one, gave it to a guy at work, awesome dude at work dropped it on idiots desk during day shift, so I am not implicated. We have been pretty much dying over that joke. Like 45 people in my group. All laughing at him. During the Xmas work party.

Well done :giggle:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Document, Document and then Document.

It's all about a paper trail, keep a journal with any and all dealings with this idiot.

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Document, Document and then Document.

It's all about a paper trail, keep a journal with any and all dealings with this idiot.
Oh ya, I have pictures, screenshots, database files and every email he has ever sent on hdd. Not to mention the work order trail.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did ya ever goose the turd a little???
laughing1_zpsjhb4gv1c.gif

MEENMAN83

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OP, if you need new patio cement work done now is the time, cause he can't piss you off anymore if he's dead nomsayin?

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Way I see it you have 6 options

1) put up with it cover your arse where you can
2) cosy yourself with management take initiative be a lieutenant so your not as expendable
3) ask for a position side move as a career opportunity
4) try to book in some time with person and find mutual ground you may find they have a grievance against you that you don't know about - can always ask for an HR round table so it's recorded or do it off the books
5) leave the company altogether
6) knock ten bells of living shit outta the fool

Whatever you do don't bitch and moan to colleagues and managers it will get back and paint you in a bad light, as hard as it is take the high ground ....also if you go for option 6 you gain the element of surprise ;)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Oh didn't get whether your in an office swap some of thier keys on the keyboard A&S W&E are good to swap ...funny as hell to watch someone go apeshit over it

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Though I no longer "work" at the job, unfortunately certain ones who still do, are subjected to the head games of the power plays, bullies and liars and is worse than what goes on in social media outlets. It's a shame that upper management still allows it to go on.

VU Sponsors