Become a Patron!

Trying to use temp control on rx200 need some advice

ademel692

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using SS 316L at 26 ga just looking for some advice about where I should set the temp and wattage on about a .4-.5 build
Thanks !!!

I teach class on Sundays

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would start at around 420F and somewhere between 25-30 watts and go up or down from there. The temperature setting will control the heat of the vape while the watt setting will control how fast you get there. I don't like an overly hot vape so you will probably end up adjusting up. Better to start lower and adjust up imo. As you raise temperature, you will also normally have to raise wattage to get you to tour desired temp. If your mod is hitting temperature protect or whatever your particular mod calls it immediately, dial back the wattage. If your vape is too hot or burnt, dial back the temperature. Hope that makes sense.

PS I usually set my temp somewhere between 420-470F and my wattage between 25-40 depending on juice, wire gauge, and mood. YMMV

Cheers,
Steve

ademel692

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would start at around 420F and somewhere between 25-30 watts and go up or down from there. The temperature setting will control the heat of the vape while the watt setting will control how fast you get there. I don't like an overly hot vape so you will probably end up adjusting up. Better to start lower and adjust up imo. As you raise temperature, you will also normally have to raise wattage to get you to tour desired temp. If your mod is hitting temperature protect or whatever your particular mod calls it immediately, dial back the wattage. If your vape is too hot or burnt, dial back the temperature. Hope that makes sense.

PS I usually set my temp somewhere between 420-470F and my wattage between 25-40 depending on juice, wire gauge, and mood. YMMV

Cheers,
Steve
Sweet thanks man this helped me a lotto understand exactly how the tc feature works and yes that's exactly what happened , soon as I fired up temp protection showed up my settings were WAAAYYY OFF at 270°F at like 50w lol

I teach class on Sundays

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Totally agree with the above, I build below 0.1 ohms with TC. When I was building with Ni I would shoot for 0.07 to 0.06. So far I only have 26g stainless so most are coming in ~0.2 but 24g is in the next order to get closer to 0.1.

Great explanation @Wingsfan0310

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most will register down to 0.05. Yihi recomends shooting for 0.065 ohms. Never had any issues (still have my fingers & lips) running 0.06 to 0.07 with a single cell / 350j chip for the past 6 mo. RX200 with 3 cells shouldn't break a sweat hitting those numbers in TC.

But there's noting wrong with being overly safe and 0.1 will fire fast enough.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Totally agree with the above, I build below 0.1 ohms with TC. When I was building with Ni I would shoot for 0.07 to 0.06. So far I only have 26g stainless so most are coming in ~0.2 but 24g is in the next order to get closer to 0.1.

Great explanation @Wingsfan0310

Thank you fq06, I appreciate the kind words. With 200 watt at his disposal, getting a .4-.5 ohm coil up to temperature quickly isn't really going to be a problem. However when I use Ni200 (dual coil RTA) it's a chore getting it above .06 ohms. My Ti1 and SS316L builds fall between .15-.2 ohms. I'm not disagreeing with you guys, it's just some people aren't comfortable going that low. They need to work up to it (or in this case down). Most mods spec out on the low end for TC between .05-.1 and on the high end up to 1 ohm. I can only imagine what a 1ohm Ni200 dual coil build would look like (huge would be an understatement - back up the truck :D).

Cheers,
Steve

ademel692

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMO, you have defeated the purpose of TC building at such high resistance.
You wanna shoot for .15 - .2 ohms for TC builds.

The whole object of TC is to eliminate the ramp-up time while not getting too hot.
SS works great for this. Forget what you "know" about resistance. It's no longer important
because you are controlling the heat with the temperature adjustment. Ya wanna get hot fast.
Same goes for wattage, your TC adjustment is now your primary heat control.
All the wattage does now is control ramp-up time.

The only time you would build stainless at higher (but still sub-ohm) resistance is if you might be using it on a NON-TC mod.

Start at 30-40 watts (at the build resistance I described) and 440 - 480 degrees F if you want a warm vape.
Adjust from there.
OK I had no idea to shoot for lower resistance but that totally makes sense thanks for the input

I teach class on Sundays

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where did you see this? o_O I can't find it.

And even if he could, doesn't mean he should. (go below .1 ohm) Super sub-ohming adds risk, and little benefit to
a person whose thread title (and common sense) indicate you shouldn't. It's certainly not where ya' start.

jm .02 ;)

What are you talking about. Nowhere in any of my posts did I say to go below .1 ohms. I said he would be fine staying at .4-.5 ohms!!! Look at what you quoted from me, I said he won't have a problem getting a .4-.5ohm coil to temperature with up 200 watts at his disposal. I don't appreciate your insinuation.

ademel692

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ey let's keep the peace here yall i don't want this thread to get muddy
WE SUPPOSED TO BE BROTHA'S!!! LOL

I teach class on Sundays

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol, drama. Just try to build a 0.065 with 26g stainless.

Not what I was suggesting, just what I used to build to with Ni and to agree with sharks suggestion of forget what you know about suggested resistance with a TC mod because you CAN go very low safely. But again, Ademel is using 26g 316L so 0.2 will be a great spaced 7 wrap 2.5mm dual setup. Unless he is going to build a 2 wrap, I don't think he will blow himself up with a 0.065 coil any time soon.

You will enjoy that mod Ademel, great performance for cheap. Just got one this week and loving the run time with 3 cells.

Last edited:

ademel692

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol, drama. Just try to build a 0.065 with 26g stainless.

Not what I was suggesting, just what I used to build to with Ni and to agree with sharks suggestion of forget what you know about suggested resistance with a TC mod because you CAN go very low safely. But again, Ademel is using 26g 316L so 0.2 will be a great spaced 7 wrap 2.5mm coil. Unless he is going to build a 2 wrap, I don't think he will blow himself up with a 0.065 coil any time soon.

You will enjoy that mod Ademel, great performance for cheap. Just got one this week and loving the run time with 3 cells.
I love the battery life it gave me enough time to buy the mod and batteries first and come back to buy the charger later lol

I teach class on Sundays

VU Sponsors