Become a Patron!

Tugboat box mod clone gets a quality makeover.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This will be my official thread to rebuilding my tugboat clone...Pretty much ill be starting with the box which isn't all that bad except for that plug for a potentiometer..i hate that plug but ill live with it for now until I build something else.

Things ill be changing:

1.) Paint: Meh, black with blue splatter..Im not personally a fan of splatter style paint so I plan to strip it down completely and give it a semi polished finish..I may do a carbon fiber look for parts of the mod or maybe just paint it a different color.

2.) 510:..Not a fan of cheap Chinese 510s so, out with that and in with a fat daddys V4 low profile/flat/short 510...You get a quality made 510 with "real" peek insulation and an amp rating far exceeding what any dual 18650 battery will provide...Just a solid quality 510 for peace of mind.

3.) Firing button:..Again, one of the cheapest chinese firing buttons you can use on this clone and im not a fan of the size either..A fatdaddys tactical 12mm SS button will replace this eye sore of a button.

4.) Battery sled:..I suppose the battery sled is ok but to make myself happy I have to replace it with a sled from Motley mods which is an exact replica of the keystone sled but does actually use the keystone contacts which are considered to be of high quality and don't rip the wrappers off your battery...This will be a dual 18650 parallel sled

5.) Mosfet and capacitor: This mod surprisingly comes with a mosfet and capacitor but im not sure of its actual quality so, for peace of mind this will be replaced with a mosfet and capacitor from a more reputable source.

6.) Wiring: Im not sure if im going to go with solid copper or use a 14g wire used in RC vehicles which is a silver coated copper strand of wire and uses a silicone outer sleeve for extreme flex capabilities.

7.) Adding a volt meter:...Im not sure where I can mount one flush but if I can and I like the placement ill add a volt meter as well as an on/off slide switch.

8.) Ill be using a silver solder throughout the soldering points for a more solid and conductive connection.

I'll post up pics once I recive all my parts and get ready to do the build.

To be continued.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i got this tugboat last night and despite everything I want to change, im pretty impressed with it as is...I built my lowest build ever which was a simple 6 wrap 24g SS 316 dual coil build on my CEO rda and it ohmed out at .18ohm...I installed some freshly charged VTC4's and wasn't ready for what happened next...Holy shit, this thing filled my lungs in about 3 seconds and flavor was intense not to mention the clouds it produced...Im only imagining this being even better with some upgrades and cant wait..Parts are still on the slow truck to my Po box...Updates and pics coming soon.

VU Sponsors