Become a Patron!

Tugboat with dna 200 chip

Has anyone seen the new tugboat tuglyfe boxes that use the dna 200 chip?? I really want one but it says it uses 1200mah lipo battery and i dont know anything about lipos but 1200mah seems very low to me. My only concern is it will go dead very quickly other than that it looks amazing and im sure build quality is top notch also just dont know about the battery

harpo1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's a 3S lipo so total mAh is 3600mAh. 1200mAh is for each cell.

That is not completely correct. The pack as a whole is 1200mah a lipo battery capacity is rated by the pack not the individual cells in the pack.
So yes the 3 cells are most likely 1200mah each however only in a parallel configuration would it be 3600 and it would only output 3.2v or 4.20 fully charged. So in this case it is a 1200mah battery 3SP1 which means its a 3 cell pack in series rated at 11.1 volts at rest.

Due to the discharge rate across 3 cells the duration seems to be longer that a normal dual 18650 setup. There are plenty of Lipo articles that can explain this much better than I can. C ratings the calculations for max amp discharge rates based on the cell counts and configurations and max charge currents for example.

I encourage all vapors to understand your batteries just like everyone says. Lipos are not like Lion like we are used too. Fortunately for me i have been using Lipos in high amp load applications forever in RC.

But if you want to understand all the basics on Lipo batteries here is a good place to start
See here
Capacity Ratings
http://help.rcdiscuss.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/14/9/what-are-lipo-battery-ratings
Lipo battery safety
http://help.rcdiscuss.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/15/9/lipo-battery-safety

please feel free to pass this along so everyone can enjoy lipos

BTW I ordered this mod anyway :) I hope its worth it the battery capacity is a concern of mine as well but most reviewers havent been really complaining about battery life but I guess the only way to find out is to try it.

Thank you so much for the info it is really appreciated. After u recieve the mod could u please let us know what u think and how the battery life is. From what i hear it should be as good or better than dual 18650s so im excited to hear what you think cuz i am a tugboat fanboy lol and this is like my DREAM MOD thanks again

You bet. I am really looking forward to it. Everyone is raving about the DNA 200 in several other mods. I like the tugboat stuff as well. I am sure its going to be nice. I just got a tracking number today hopefully by the end of the week I can let you know something.

I know i really wanted to get a dna 200 mod but i didnt know which one but as soon as i saw that i said omg i neeed this.. made my choice very easy lol.. also like the vapor shark but the tugboat is my #1 pick.. thanks again so much cant wait to hear how you like it im sure it will be a good buy

I know i really wanted to get a dna 200 mod but i didnt know which one but as soon as i saw that i said omg i neeed this.. made my choice very easy lol.. also like the vapor shark but the tugboat is my #1 pick.. thanks again so much cant wait to hear how you like it im sure it will be a good buy

Ok. so it showed up this afternoon I am still charging it up it showed up. Packaging sucks huge just a bubble wrap bag in the main shipping box. Really crappy for a retail product at this price range. But I don't pay for the packaging so on to what I see so far.

It came with the Lipo back at 50% charge 3.85v per cell which is storage mode. Which is how these batteries should be when not in use. Especially for extended periods of time.

The mod itself the enclosure is very nice with the cerakote I got black with dark blue spatter. 510 really nice spring loaded not sure of the brand though fat daddy maybe? Screen is the DNA 200 so they seem to all look the same but this one loads up saying #TUGLYFE then FLAWLESS. buttons feel nice easy to press semi clicky. Tugboat logo is very nice and stands out really well. the box has no easy access doors on it. there is a door but requires a allen (hex) tool (1.5 or 2mm) to open I assume its for battery removal board replacement since I haven't removed it yet. But I will I want to check out the battery capacity, brand, which balance tap it has on it for external charging there are several.

I have hooked it up to the escribe software and setup profiles (you can name them and it showed up when you select them very cool) for my regular tanks to start with. eScribe is super easy and you can make your own splash screens change message and graphics for other screens if you like. Not that I have but its there. The live monitoring looks really slick for the charging and individual cell and such I am curious to see how that all works while vaping. so there is what I have found so far I will write back after playing with it some more.

oh yeah no packaging and no instructions AT ALL Go to http://www.evolvapor.com/datasheet/dna200.pdf for basic usage instructions

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks again so much this info is really useful to me.. i hope u end up liking it i have only heard good things about the dna 200 so hopefully all is well because i am really looking forward to getting it

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
One thing, with the DNA200 y'all, is you can adjust the screen brightness and duration it stays on in escribe. I have the shark200, which is a 900mah lipo, its steadily running tc with a 120w preheat and 60-64w and I went from 4hts to 6hrs vape time by dropping the brightness to 40% and only on for 1sec.
I ordered the cloudmaker already otherwise would pounce all of the flawless mod.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
How do u like the shark. Only hear good things about them also
Ive had every model they have put out, and this is by far their best.
The first run had some finish issues (mine is a first run so I am in that number), but they emailed me that it was a known issue, and on the 30th to contact them back, they'll swap it out. other than that this thing is unbelievable, if its a bad finish, then its a good bad finish, its holding up better than my 40s, battery life is better than I expected, its light as a feather, which personally I love, the reviewers didn't like it, but I carry mine all day so I appreciate it. Best part is the vapor shark form factor

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Soldered directly onto the board. Not trying to trash Flawless but I recommend you avoid the Tugboat DNA200 as SEVERAL units have had the lipo cells go FUBAR on them after a month or two. They use generic Chinese lipo packs that wholesale for literally $2.50 a piece. Otherwise it's a solid mod, just a crap battery in it.

Soldered directly onto the board. Not trying to trash Flawless but I recommend you avoid the Tugboat DNA200 as SEVERAL units have had the lipo cells go FUBAR on them after a month or two. They use generic Chinese lipo packs that wholesale for literally $2.50 a piece. Otherwise it's a solid mod, just a crap battery in it.
I think I'm in this boat right now. I actually had my DNA 200 board go bad on me, so I sent it to Evolv and they replaced it. Got the mod back, working, but the battery wont charge any more than 9.05 watt hours and the cells are out of balance by anywhere from .04v to .07v. I had at first thought that Evolv put one of their reference batteries in it, so I opened it up and it was printed Fullymax 1200mah. It was a super tight fit, too. The cell seemed bigger in the middle. Not sure if it was bulging or if that's the way it is. I'm now worried it might not even be safe to use, even at the lower capacity. Anyone know of any replacement batteries would fit in this? Maybe it's time to sell it to someone as "good board, good enclosure, good 510, iffy battery".

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I think I'm in this boat right now. I actually had my DNA 200 board go bad on me, so I sent it to Evolv and they replaced it. Got the mod back, working, but the battery wont charge any more than 9.05 watt hours and the cells are out of balance by anywhere from .04v to .07v. I had at first thought that Evolv put one of their reference batteries in it, so I opened it up and it was printed Fullymax 1200mah. It was a super tight fit, too. The cell seemed bigger in the middle. Not sure if it was bulging or if that's the way it is. I'm now worried it might not even be safe to use, even at the lower capacity. Anyone know of any replacement batteries would fit in this? Maybe it's time to sell it to someone as "good board, good enclosure, good 510, iffy battery".
You might be able to find a suitable LiPo pack at hobbyking.com. They have warehouses in the US (east & west coast). Therefore, make sure to select the proper warehouse before placing an item in your cart. The Zippy compact packs usually have smaller dimensions than the Turnigy.

mackman

Member For 4 Years
Go into Escribe and under the mod tab set your battery to 9.9wh and set the charging mode to Maximum Puffs this will let your battery charge to 4.2v. Open the device monitor and charge the battery if will take some time for the cells to balance with a battery with few cycles on it. I have several Fullymax batteries in different built mods and found them to have no problems. Fullymax is the battery that Evolv sells and uses in all their ERM's (evolv reference mod)

Go into Escribe and under the mod tab set your battery to 9.9wh and set the charging mode to Maximum Puffs this will let your battery charge to 4.2v. Open the device monitor and charge the battery if will take some time for the cells to balance with a battery with few cycles on it. I have several Fullymax batteries in different built mods and found them to have no problems. Fullymax is the battery that Evolv sells and uses in all their ERM's (evolv reference mod)
So if I would go change my battery charge to 9.9wh would this change anything with the mod or should I change it back after charging or just keep it at this. I just bought one and battery life is horrendous and it takes like hours to charge, so far love the box other then the battery issues and would like to maybe fix it a little at least. Please help haha

VU Sponsors