Become a Patron!

Twisted ss question

Randy Mullins

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You guys are the best knowledge base i know of so here goes.
I want to try some twisted 26ga 316l ss wire or possibly twisted 24ga 316l ss in my boreas.
I just want to get an idea on id size and wraps to get me around .25 ohms

Thanks in advance

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
well with 24G twisted for .25 at 3mm ID you will need 20.5 wraps if your making dual coils... 26G you will need 13.5 wraps. Good luck fitting that in the deck... :)

Randy Mullins

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow thats crazy numbers...im still new to building. Ive got a 26ga twisted kanthal at .3 right now and enjoy it but was wanting to give stainless a go with the twisted wire.
Any advice on that

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
what mod are you using? I regularly build with SS around .13 on my RX and I CAN build down to .007 on my Hohm Wrecker G2. I assume you have a meter? build and see what happens. Just dont fire anything until you meter it.

I really love fused claptons, 2x24G wrapped in 32 or 34G ss. 3.5mm 6 wraps. comes about .15 or somewhere around there. Ive done zipper builds with kanthal, but with how low resistance SS is unless your mod can fire real low safely its hard to make the big fancy builds. try a simple single strand spaced build 10 wraps, 3mm will be your .25. with 3.5mm it would be 9 wrps. Just build and measure and see what happens.

Huh, just rechecked my data on Steam Engine... 24G 316 twisted at .56 pitch (basically twisted until it breaks) at 3.5mm is 9 wraps at 3mm 8 wraps at 3.5m. Not that absurd 20 wraps I originally told you. I had forgotten to set the twist pitch. That was for a parallel coil build. Twisting uses more wire so there is more resistance in it. My bad.

Randy Mullins

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Using rx 200 like everyone else....lol
So twisted 24 at 8 wraps and 3 mm id seems to be the ballpark im shooting for. .3 or .2 is all good with me. Thanks for great info

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
You can always guestimate the resistance with steamengine.org. But make sure you measure them before firing. Thats all I did, just plug the numbers into it.

SgtRock

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
If you're building for the RX200 and running in TC mode the ohm value doesn't really matter much... I run 3 mm dual parallel 26 ga SS316 in my velocities and either 7 or 8 wraps...comes out to .13 to .14

I've found that twisted coils spit and parallel coils don't--at least in my experience.

NickIsANoob

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
If you're building for the RX200 and running in TC mode the ohm value doesn't really matter much... I run 3 mm dual parallel 26 ga SS316 in my velocities and either 7 or 8 wraps...comes out to .13 to .14

I've found that twisted coils spit and parallel coils don't--at least in my experience.
It only matters if you build below .1 and can't dry fire your coils to work out the hot spots. I have DNA mods and a snow wolf that will dry fire them but if I only had the RX I would be screwed.

This is twisted .22 gauge 316 and it landed at .09

SgtRock

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
You could do what I do...pulse on a dual 18650 mech to get the coil right and then move it to the TC mod.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just did a twisted 28ga 316L single coil, 4mm id, 8 wraps and it came out to .76 ohm if that helps. The lower the gauge the thicker the wire the less resistance. SS already has a lower resistance (I believe) than kanthal. Meaning as you go from 28ga to 26ga to 24ga your resistance will continue to drop. Twisting it will cause it to drop even further.

The coil I was using prior to twisting was a single strand single coil 28ga ss316L with the same number of wraps, same inner diameter and it came out to 1.22 ohm. Basically the same coil twisted vs non twisted dropped resistance nearly in half. At that point the only things you can do if twisting 24 or 26ga is to increase the inner diameter (adds to overall length of wire) or more wraps (adds to overall length of wire) to get resistance back up if it's really low.

According to steam engine twisted 24g ss316L at 3mm id and 8 wraps should get you around .35 ohm. Theoretically, could be between .3 and .4 depending on leg length and twist pitch of the wire.

VU Sponsors