Become a Patron!

Typical building question

xJoseph

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
1.How often do you change your coils?
2.How often do you change your cotton?
(I change mine when its dark like 1-2 days of just within the day I put it in)
3.How do you clean your coils?
(I dry burn it until red after I took the cotton out and dip it in water do that 2-3 times and brush it with toothbrush sometime I use soap and clean it real good and do a final dry burn and dip)
4.Sometime I use juice that is not clear colored like red blue or something sometimes I vape it and I can't notice when its dry or not and and I always take a long hit Im scared that I don't know its almost dry and it can burn
5.what's the sign to chage your coils?
6.what's the sign to change your cotton?
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
1) usually once a week, but i vape alot. about 20ml a day
2) 1-3 times a week, when the flavor starts tasting bad i'll take out the cotton, clean the coils, and put new cotton in. also if using a harsh flavor and want to change. some flavors overpower too much to change flavors without changing cotton
3) when i change cotton. most coils can be cleaned 2-4 times before needing replacement
4) temp control will eliminate dry hits if you wanted to give that a try
5) when you get bad flavor and they look dirty and gunked
6) Bad flavor or burnt taste

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I clean the coils whenever I change cotton. Brush the coils with a metal brush like a golf club brush and heat them up a bit. I change cotton if something doesn't taste right. If I do that and it still doesn't taste right I change the coil regardless of whether it looks OK or not, its cheap so no point guessing what it is just chuck it out and put in new ones. Drying cotton changes the vape, you can tell when you need to re-drip it doesn't matter what color the juice is. Basically always boils down to something don't taste how it should so you fix it.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your best pulsing your coils , little an often , rather than a big full on burn , cotton can last usually linger than a day , maybe your hitting it too hard , or very sweet gunky juices so possibly they do need rewicking more , i wouldn't use soap or detergent on my coils since your inhaling from them , its all personal preference an such , me myself i can go a week or more on same coils an wicks , but it all depends on how much use ,how sweet your juices are , sn the temps / wattage you vape at , when i do rewick , i slow pulse , my coils until tbe old juices gunk has burnt off , let then cool a little ,dunk in water , pulse again dunk , wipe dry ,inspect my coils,for the metal deterioration, if ok , rewick , juice a little amount on my coils , pulse very lightly , an drip again ,this is dont quite a few times until juice spreads through my wicks , until its saturated enough the place deck back in my RTA , tighten back up , tben flip tank over ,if full or ,if i washed tank out to , seal airflow control , then refill an an back to vaping , but sometimes i can use coils for weeks / several other times its days tben swap them over depending on coils build an such ,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everyone has there own ways , there own preference , even if following a guideline you eventually find your own way that suits you , an not all coils or juices are the same so its always varied , each time each tank each mod

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My juggernaut coils can last longer than my plain kanthal coils , my claptons can be good for a few weeks even then. I changed them there still good but wanted to test a new build , there cotton pads, cotton/bacon ,an cellulose cotton an combined cotton rayon an organic cotton ,plus theres just RAYOn , so much variety an variable in each every build , this makes them unique to you ,

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
After each second tank I

Take tank apart, rinse the tank with water and set aside to drain.dry.

Run coil and wick under water for a second.

Remove cotton (somehow the rinse makes it slide out real easy) and dry burn the coil and use one of those little disposable "flossing" brushes to further clean the coil.

Install new wick, prime, attach tank, fill and vape.

xJoseph

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use RDA onyl btw I don't own any RTA or tanks but nice to know

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1.When I get the urge... I typically that's about 1 or 2 atties a week. Usually have 2 or 3 toppers running at a time.
2.How often do you change your cotton? 1-2 days, All my juices have at least some NET between 5-25%. Can get 4 or 5 days from a 5% NET juice or unflavored and ONE from 25%. Juices are amber to blackish, except unflavored.
3.How do you clean your coils? Pulse, blow and strum. Pulse till just glows in dark room, keep doing it till the gunk ash blows or flicks away.
4.I've been using SS in TC mode lately. great thing is no burnt dry hits.
5.what's the sign to chage your coils? Boredom.. Never had a coil wear out or fail. I have broken a few though.
6.what's the sign to change your cotton? Flavor goes bad, performance goes away. Can't determine where gunk begins and wick ends.

kargurin

Member For 4 Years
I use 24 gauge Kanthal almost exclusively. Dry burn after rewick. Stick to 40 watts and below. They stay for several weeks. New cotton every couple of tankfuls or a week max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1.How often do you change your coils?

Depends on my mood, I get bored sometimes and will change them only after a couple of weeks. Generally though I can get a couple of months or three out of them.

2.How often do you change your cotton?
(I change mine when its dark like 1-2 days of just within the day I put it in)
Depends greatly on the juice, anywhere from daily to weekly

3.How do you clean your coils?
(I dry burn it until red after I took the cotton out and dip it in water do that 2-3 times and brush it with toothbrush sometime I use soap and clean it real good and do a final dry burn and dip)
Everytime I rewick, I also when home will run them through the ultrasonic.
4.Sometime I use juice that is not clear colored like red blue or something sometimes I vape it and I can't notice when its dry or not and and I always take a long hit Im scared that I don't know its almost dry and it can burn

Don't have that problem, I can taste when ready to juice up.

5.what's the sign to chage your coils?
When they start looking pretty janky when I am cleaning them
6.what's the sign to change your cotton?
Burnt and/or funky taste

Thanks in advance!

No problem

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1. Once every few weeks.
2. Once a week (doesn't matter how it looks only how it vapes).
3. Dry burn
5. After 3 or 4 dry burns.
6. Bad performance or burned taste.

LuTang

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
smaller wire builds i change like every 2-3 weeks. claptons and 24ga i can go months without changing the coils. i change the cotton usually every week or so. whenever i notice muted flavor or if i'm changing flavors. i dry burn coils and dip in water. i don't brush them or anything

if you're strictly RDA and worried about dry hits, you might want to consider a bottom feed mod/RDA setup. i've recently gotten into and loving it. i used pretty much strictly RTA's because i didn't like having to drip, but getting this bf gear has renewed my liking for RDAs. it's great.

VU Sponsors