Become a Patron!

Upgraded to the Kangertech Subvod but now not so sure.

Hi there! I've been vaping for pleasure for about 2 years now. I was using a Itazte pen style with a large iClear tank. When it died, It was recommended that I upgrade to the Kangertech subvod by the local vape store I go to for my liquid. I did this about 2 months ago. I've been pretty pleased with the change. Love the direct to lung hit! But, I have questions and some frustrations. So I'm not into building my own, dripping liquid etc. I just want to vape when I want to and not get into the details of the how's and ohms, and other types of things related to vaping.

The starter kit I bought came with a CYLINDER shaped coil. I didn't really take note of the details on it. I just started using it. When I needed to replace it, I got a SQUARE one from the same store that I bought the kit, and was told this was the "newer" version of the same coil. It said occ 0.5 on it. Then when I was out of town, it started tasting burnt and I didn't have a back up coil so I stopped at a vape store and was sold the only coil they had, and that was the CYLINDER SHAPED one again. That guy there told me, no, this is the "newer" version of the coil. Again, I didn't notice the details on it, because I just needed it to vape til I got home again. The other day, I had my husband pick me up a box of coils from the same place I got the first square replacement and he came home with a box of square occ coils.

First frustration: The information is so inconsistent from different sources of what's the latest and what's not. How to really know?? You'd think the guys that sell the stuff would have accurate information!

Related question: What coil do I need to give me the best result and which one is actually the newest version? I honestly think I prefer the cylinder coil that came with my kit. My memory seems to tell me that it gave a better cloud....but I don't have a great memory! :) After doing a little research and image search the cylinder coil is an SSOCC and I think is actually the newer improved coil.

Second frustration: The size of the tank with that huge square coil taking up so much space, makes for refilling frequently, which I find annoying. At least the cylinder coil is a little smaller and allowed for more juice space. Not much, but a little.

Second related question: Is there a larger tank size available with more juice capacity that will work with the best coil and the subvod unit?

Third frustration: I get a lot of popping/sparking.....well not visual sparking, but the feeling of it when I vape and a lot of leaking of the juice. I figured this may be because I attempt to fill it to the max, but just below the chimney, to increase the volume. This is above the max fill line on the tank, but have read that others do this too as long as it's below the chimney. I have figured out that if liquid gets into the chimney, I can blow INTO the tank and the excess juice will come out of the air holes and then it seems to vape fine after that.

Fourth frustration: After having this unit now for a couple of months I feel my experience has definitely gone downhill. The battery doesn't last as long......maybe I like the whole lung hit feeling that I'm actually vaping more, so I'm just using it more, but my Itazte lasted most of the day and this subvod seemed to last longer when it was brand new. My husband uses a box style unit and I don't really like the feel of that in my hand or the larger size for my pocket, so I really want to stay with a penstyle for feel and convenience. I'm aware that my battery life will be less than with the larger size box unit.

So, after this very lengthy, probably too much information post......can I get some feedback and suggestions about these frustrations/questions!

Thanks so much!

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi and welcome to the board. I don't have that unit, but I chance to know the Stainless coils are the latest. What shape they may be, I have no idea. I vape stainless wire pretty exclusively nowadays. I think it tastes better than other kinds. This may be the satisfaction increase you are experiencing. The tank that came with your kit is the Toptank Nano, assuming you have a recent one. They are made in two different sizes, 1.9 and 3.2ml capacity, although I don't know which you have. Other tanks will fit on your machine, some of which have a larger capacity. Unfortunately, I don't use prefab coils at all; I build my own, and so I don't really know what to tell you to look for. Hopefully somebody else will be along to help with that. If you have the small tank, however, you can gain half again as much by going to the larger one.

Battery life is going to be limited with any "pen style" machine. You are correct changing to the subohm coils reduces battery life over your previous experience as more power is used with each hit. The basic Subvod comes with a 1300 mAh battery. The Subovd Mega is also available, and it features a 2300 mAh battery, which would give you nearly double the vaping time before recharge. It will be a bigger unit, however. They really do make some pretty small "box" type mods. The Knager Topbox is one, as is the Evic VTC. I bought my gal a SIgelei Mini Book for last Christmas and it's barely bigger than the battery. If you considered moving to a removable battery style mod, you could then simply carry a spare battery and swap them when the charge goes flat. Just a thought.

cvcrcr99

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll do my best to help with the bigger problems.
1. Kanger sold square "housings" (for lack of better term) with horizontal coils in them, and then upgraded to the square housings with vertical coils. Kanger recently released the cylinder housings. The cylinders are the newest. If it has a vertical coil, I would be happy.

2. What are we talking about? 0.25ml capacity difference? It wouldn't be enough to bother me. sorry I couldn't help more here.

3. Popping noises are associated with a new coil. My RDA with a clapton coil pops and crackles the first few hits each night. If you are not getting any spit back, you are fine.

4. Refer to the above poster about battery longevity.

A lot of your frustrations could be relieved with a bigger mod/tank set up. I have an IPV D2 with a crown tank. Small enough to fit in my pocket and still be comfortable, but enough to satisfy my cravings of bigger-ish clouds :) Plus, I can swap out batteries at will to keep going.

Edit: The single battery IPV d2 is my only mod. It more or less works for everything that I need. Temp control when I eventually start dabbling in that more

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vapenw has the cylinder style ssocc .5 coils in a 5 pack for less than $12.00.

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I would highly recommend gettin yourself a box mod and a better tank if you are havin so many problems and also for subohm vaping. That battery just isnt going to last long with this style of vaping. There are lots of high quality mods and tanks out there that wont break the bank. I really dont know much about the subvod other than its kinda suited more towards mouth to lung style vaping but has enough airflow to direct lung hit. You could pick yourself up a CoV mini volt or an Istick Pico for a mod. THey are both small enough to fit in your palm and both pack a pretty decent punch. Both can be found for 30 bucks or less. For a tank I would recommend a Crown. They can be found for as low as 24 bucks now. If you want a cheaper option you could go with the Cubis tank. The Cubis is a highly underrated tank but I cant say enough about the Crown. It holds 4ml of juice so you wont be constantly having to refill and the flavor is terrific. If you dont want to spend more money I understand and it sucks you are gettin so much misinformation from your local B&Ms. But if you could spare about 50-60 bucks you could really get a nice vaping experience.

Froggie1rw

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I run 2 different setups, one for at home and one to carry around. The one I carry around would probably suit you just fine it sounds like. It is the evic vtc mini with the cubis tank. The cubis tank will not leak even if you turn it upside down or lay it on it's side so great to toss in my purse. In the cubis tank I generally use the .5 ohm ss head, although I am waiting for the rba head to arrive to be able to use it at a higher wattage. The .5 ohm heads I usually run at about 25w and I don't use tc mode often except to break in a new head, great for that. The cubis does produce great flavor and clouds. My at home setup is an rx200 with a horizontech krixus tank. I love this setup, just a little heavy to carry in my purse is all. I run the krixus at about 90-100w. It does have a ceramic head and it produces great flavor and clouds.

VU Sponsors