Become a Patron!

Using a wattage lower than the coil recommends

Hi folks, first post here!

So iv been using a little pen vape for ages and just switched to a proper box mod. The vapor is stronger than I am used to so I'm trying to tone it down a bit to start. The highest R coil I could get was a 0.4ohm which says it has a minimum wattage of 40. 40W is still quite a lot for me - would it damage anything or 'flood' the coil if I use it at a lower wattage? Say 25-30W?

Thanks in advance!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Might not work very well and might work ok.
Might spit and pop a bit.
Just try it out and see.

btw Welcome to VU!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I vape most of my coils at 20-25% less than the low end of the recommended range. All that matters is that you get a pleasurable vape you enjoy. Not likely to flood the coils if it is producing a decent vape. One benefit is extended coil life because you not torching the coils and cotton in them!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
It is your mod.

You control it and not the mod

Start your settings low and stop where you like it!

Thanks guys I'll give it a go! I was mostly worried I would just flood it tbh but you've given me a bit of confidence :D I shall let you all know how it goes

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wattage setting doesn't cause or prevent flooding... the wick and quality of the wick does that..... even burnt wick from high wattage are not caused by the wattage.. again it's the wicking itself.

If you get flooding the fixes are fix the leaky atty... fix the wick.. use thicker juice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
burnt wick from high wattage are not caused by the wattage.. again it's the wicking itself.

I have to disagree because when my MOD did not kick out of TC when I switched tanks to my Nautilus Mini, the 85 Watts fried an Aspire BVC coil instantly! Even firing the BVC at 14-15 watts that I had the MOD set for using the Nautilus X fries my coils if I do not turn it down!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to disagree because when my MOD did not kick out of TC when I switched tanks to my Nautilus Mini, the 85 Watts fried an Aspire BVC coil instantly! Even firing the BVC at 14-15 watts that I had the MOD set for using the Nautilus X fries my coils if I do not turn it down!
Again it more about the wicking ability..... than the power....

If your wick can supply juice faster than the coil can cook it off you won't burn the wick right? This is just as true at 1 watt as it is at 1000 watts..... the limiting factor is the ability to transport juice to the coil..... not the power levels.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Again it more about the wicking ability..... than the power....

If your wick can supply juice faster than the coil can cook it off you won't burn the wick right? This is just as true at 1 watt as it is at 1000 watts..... the limiting factor is the ability to transport juice to the coil..... not the power levels.

Take a coil with NO wick and pump more watts to it then it can handle and it will fry the wire.

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Take a coil with NO wick and pump more watts to it and it will fry the wire.
Dip that coil in a container of juice or other fluids maybe... when you fire.. it will take significantly more power for it to happen......if ever.

But yes you supply enough voltage to any wire it will melt.... if it's allowed to reach melting temps...... if something is applied to the coil to counter the heating affect it doesn't melt.

This is why you can go from a hot vape to a cool vape by increasing airflow... or warmer vaoe by reducing airflow....

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Do a test all for your own if you must argue. Take an Aspire BVC sitting in a full tank that is properly primed and put 10 Times the wattage through that coil and you will see you argument is invalid. I already told you before that it happened to me by accident and that coil flamed faster than I could even take a pull.

VU Sponsors