Become a Patron!

Using laptop batteries with regulated mod

I recently pulled two 3.6v 9wh batteries from a laptop battery pack I had lying around. My question is if a regulated mod would protect from them from overheating or potentially blowing up. I know they're not very safe for use in mechanical mods at all, but I wonder if regulated devices are safe since they have protection chips and such?

Sent from my STUDIO ENERGY 2 using Tapatalk

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I dunno man. I mean, understand why you're asking... that's a lot of capacity. But dude, If it's not made for it, you probably shouldn't use it... just my thoughts, I'm not an electrical expert.

PS: These are the kinds of threads that make the trolls come out. I'm not trolling you, but just be emotionally prepared for some keyboard tough guys to emerge from the shadows and call you crazy or stupid or whatever... which you're not... you're just asking a question.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not trying to be a jerk but why would you even bother? Good batteries are not expensive especially when you compare the price of new batteries to a hospital stay.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to be a jerk but why would you even bother? Good batteries are not expensive especially when you compare the price of new batteries to a hospital stay.

Understand what you're saying I just figure I'll ask before I throw them out if say one of my he4's goes out on me, I just wanted to know if I could use them for short term

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wouldn't bro, just chuck them.

I dunno man. I mean, understand why you're asking... that's a lot of capacity. But dude, If it's not made for it, you probably shouldn't use it... just my thoughts, I'm not an electrical expert.

PS: These are the kinds of threads that make the trolls come out. I'm not trolling you, but just be emotionally prepared for some keyboard tough guys to emerge from the shadows and call you crazy or stupid or whatever... which you're not... you're just asking a question.
The reason I ask is cause I wanna know if they're good batteries to keep around if say one of my he4s takes a shit and I have to wait a few days for another one to come in, if they'd be safe for that type of use.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well look, it sounds like you can afford some backup batteries. Heck, get a pair of lousy batts in the range of 1500 mAh, and it will run you less than $10. Just keep them stocked away, and if your HE4's shit the bed, use those for a few days to hold you over.

Actually, just found this!

http://www.vaporbeast.com/efest-30a-18650-flat-top-batteries-1600-mah-2-pack.html

I know, 3200 mAh is really unimpressive for two batts, but if your intent is only to use them sparingly in a "battery breakage emergency," I'd call it a cheap, MUCH safer choice :).

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Depends on the type of batteries in the pack and their rating and if you can remove the soldering without damaging the batteries.
Old battery packs contain old batteries that probably lost a lot of their capacity, so I wouldn't bother.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recently pulled two 3.6v 9wh batteries from a laptop battery pack I had lying around. My question is if a regulated mod would protect from them from overheating or potentially blowing up. I know they're not very safe for use in mechanical mods at all, but I wonder if regulated devices are safe since they have protection chips and such?

No, not at all. Regulated mod doesn't protect a battery that not up to task. Now realistically speaking, I have tried it. With a 15 WATT mod. If you are lucky, they are 10 amp batteries, and would work (if new) OK when you keep them UNDER 37 watts per cell. However they sucked real bad likely because they were wore out. decent 20 amp cells like 25r's are only $6 per cell. Not a high price to pay for a little insurance.

triakis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do NOT use laptop batteries! (for vaping)
The cells are high capacity lower amp batteries.
They are good for torches (flashlights) and that's about it.
If you know for sure you'll be under 10A all the time they may work.
If they have lots of cycles on them (old pack, for example) I recommend recycling them.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Check Liionwholesale, illumsupply or 101vape.
Just dropped 30 bucks for some HD2C and a UD screwdriver set, the batteries were 7.99 a pair.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Two problems with laptop batteries:

1) They're not IMR chemistry. This means if they're abused somehow (accidentally shorted, etc), or in the very unlikely but possible case of an internal shorting problem, they have a pretty good likelihood of exploding. IMR batteries generally don't explode, they just vent, which while it's dangerous it's not nearly as dangerous.
2) They're not made for high currents. The circuitry in a regulated mod doesn't do anything to protect from a battery being overtaxed and overheated. Generally a laptop battery is meant for about 2A max (which is about 6-8 watts). That's nothing for a vape.

In summary, it's a good question but don't do it.

VU Sponsors