Become a Patron!

UWELL CROWN BURNING THROUGH COILS

bpsound

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First off Hello All. I appreciate any light that can be shined on this issue. I am not new to vaping but am new to the uwell crown. I am having an issue where the coils burn out really fast and after about the first tanks there is a thick brown substance floating in the juice. I am running the .25 coils on an IPV5 at about 70 watts and then ramping it up slowly to about 90 watts depending on the juice. I prime as normal on the top and sides of the coil wait about and hour hit it with the air holes shut and start vaping. The taste is not pleasant at first but seems to go away after about a half tank. Then I look at the juice and hour later and this brown substance is in it. The juice then tastes very metalic. I am buying the coils from a brick and mortar that says they are the real deal but package in small bags so they can sell them as singles. This also happen'd with 2 out of 3 the stock coil that came with the device.

Any thoughts? Are the factory coils from uwell degrading in quality? Does anyone else use a third party coil for this? I checked out the atom G but was unsure they were not the best in the subtank.

Thanks for the HELP!

keithh1981

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was going to mention this video. Do what he says your coils will last at least 3 weeks. For me the sweet spot is 60 or 70 depending on the juice. Higher than that gets too hot for my liking.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The real deals are sold only in a box of four, there are reports of cloned Crown coils in the marketplace.

Ben-Rod

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Bud I'll be honest with you. I think your trying to run the coils at too high of a wattage setting. Break in is from 30 to 50 watts. I've never ran the Crown coils too high as they are not really meant to imo...I get the most at around 60-70 max...

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I love this tank as I have 5 of them but Uwell's customer service or lack there of really sucks. They had a bad batch of coils go out a few months ago. Uwell was replacing them. I bought 4 bad boxes of coils. Every coil lasted about 2-3 days. Again Uwell was aware of the problem. I sucked it up and bought another 4 boxes and the coils were fine. I sent them an email 3 months ago complaining about the coils. No response. Last week out of the blue I get an email from Uwell apologizing for not getting back to me. They give me some sob story of how they were short staffed and then couldn't respond to all the emails. I go over the problem once again with the rep, He apologizes to me and ask's for the codes on the boxes. I explain to him that this was over 3 months ago and when I got no response I decided to throw away the boxes. I offer to provide a receipt from the vendor I bought them from. His answer was sorry there is nothing we can do but we do I apologize. Honestly they would have been better off not contacting me at all. Now, I will never ever buy another Uwell product again aside from replacement coils for the 5 tanks I already have. I mean really, what kind of BS customer service is that? All they did was dredge up a bad feeling I had already dealt with and made it worse. SMFH!

bpsound

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love this tank as I have 5 of them but Uwell's customer service or lack there of really sucks. They had a bad batch of coils go out a few months ago. Uwell was replacing them. I bought 4 bad boxes of coils. Every coil lasted about 2-3 days. Again Uwell was aware of the problem. I sucked it up and bought another 4 boxes and the coils were fine. I sent them an email 3 months ago complaining about the coils. No response. Last week out of the blue I get an email from Uwell apologizing for not getting back to me. They give me some sob story of how they were short staffed and then couldn't respond to all the emails. I go over the problem once again with the rep, He apologizes to me and ask's for the codes on the boxes. I explain to him that this was over 3 months ago and when I got no response I decided to throw away the boxes. I offer to provide a receipt from the vendor I bought them from. His answer was sorry there is nothing we can do but we do I apologize. Honestly they would have been better off not contacting me at all. Now, I will never ever buy another Uwell product again aside from replacement coils for the 5 tanks I already have. I mean really, what kind of BS customer service is that? All they did was dredge up a bad feeling I had already dealt with and made it worse. SMFH!

I thought this might be the case so I emailed them as well I have went through about 8 coils now same problem. I emailed uwell and got a response about 2 weeks later and i had too thrown away the packaging. Same story super disappointing.

I thought it was a power thing which was mentioned above but a .25 coil at 70 watt is only pushing 4.18v on my mod which is not alot in my opinion these should be able to run at 80 90 all day. Thats what i have always done on other low resistance coils and have never had an issue.

Glad to know i am not crazy and these are most likely defective coils.

Thanks for all the responses the priming video did help but the newest coil is going bad after following that vid step by step after 3 days and not exceeding 70 watt.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep they're a disgusting company. If they would've done the right thing I would have bought a Rafale. In fact I'm trying out the new Atom vape coils and if they're good I'll spend the extra money on them just so I don't give Uwell anymore of my hard earned money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

bpsound

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep they're a disgusting company. If they would've done the right thing I would have bought a Rafale. In fact I'm trying out the new Atom vape coils and if they're good I'll spend the extra money on them just so I don't give Uwell anymore of my hard earned money.

I was looking at the atom gs let me know what you think i was considering buying some as well and possibly trying the ceramic. Just got a new set of uwell coils today seems the bands are different from one batch to another the bad ones have a light grey vs the new ones havent tested yet are a dark black. Both packs passed counter fit codes so we shall see.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was looking at the atom gs let me know what you think i was considering buying some as well and possibly trying the ceramic. Just got a new set of uwell coils today seems the bands are different from one batch to another the bad ones have a light grey vs the new ones havent tested yet are a dark black. Both packs passed counter fit codes so we shall see.
I'm gonna order them this week and do a little review on them. I use them for my STM and it's a different tank with those coils installed.

Howard Hughes

the way of the future....
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

My buddy got the Rafael & to be honest, I'm glad I stuck with my Crown. His non-removable drip tip, anti spitpack thingy (which inhibited the draw) & crappy new version of top fill were deal breakers for me. I too, suffered the frustration of the bad coils back in February but the ones I've bought since mid-April seem up to snuff. I noticed I had to squeeze the coil "together" from the top & bottom, as cotton was sticking out a little bit. I also "fluffed" the cotton exposed through the juice holes to encourage wicking as well. They still lasted less than a week, but now I'm back to almost two weeks out of the "newer" coils. BTW- I'm only talking about the .25 coils. That's all I use (at about 60 watts, depending on the juice).

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same problem I have with mine. I too had 5 crown tanks and only have one left that I never use. IMO, the wicking holes are just far too small for all that densely packed cotton. Any time this is brought up people always bring up counterfeit coils. I'm sure counterfeits exist but not in the numbers that would cause so many people to have issues. What amazes me, they come out with the Rafail and two different coil versions both using the same tiny wick holes as the original. Fuck that and fuck Uwell, like @Deucesjack, I'm done buying their shitty coils.

If I was in your shoes (and I was) I'd cut my losses and get a new tank. The only tank I use now is Herakles Plus and that's mainly because of the long lasting coils. Another one with great coils is the TFV4. They are massive, need a lot of watts to work optimally and are kinda pricey but they last forever. It's too much for me so I got rid of mine but it might be something you like.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm picking up a Herakles Plus this week. If I like it I'm selling all my Crowns.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm picking up a Herakles Plus this week. If I like it I'm selling all my Crowns.

I bet you end up selling those crowns, just like j did. I sold one this weekend so including the V2 (which is a great little tank) I have 7 down from 8. It trumps the Crown in airflow, vapor production and I would say that they are about even when it comes to flavor. However, being able to chain vape at above 60 watts without a dry hit is what puts it way ahead of the crown.

You might experience some leaking or seeping but if it happens it's usually right after you fill it. The trick I learned that works every time for me is after filling it, keep the juice flow closed and take 2 or 3 hits then open it up. That cures any spit back issues as well. Let me know how you like it. I've practically become a salesman for Sense after trying the Herakles Plus so I'm interested to hear what you think.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bet you end up selling those crowns, just like j did. I sold one this weekend so including the V2 (which is a great little tank) I have 7 down from 8. It trumps the Crown in airflow, vapor production and I would say that they are about even when it comes to flavor. However, being able to chain vape at above 60 watts without a dry hit is what puts it way ahead of the crown.

You might experience some leaking or seeping but if it happens it's usually right after you fill it. The trick I learned that works every time for me is after filling it, keep the juice flow closed and take 2 or 3 hits then open it up. That cures any spit back issues as well. Let me know how you like it. I've practically become a salesman for Sense after trying the Herakles Plus so I'm interested to hear what you think.
Really? I have a boatfull of crowns, and yes, the coils don't last long. But I love the flavor and the fact they don't leak!

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Really? I have a boatfull of crowns, and yes, the coils don't last long. But I love the flavor and the fact they don't leak!

I agree, Flavor is great on the crown and IMO the Herakles Plus is almost or just as good. You are right though, a big plus about the crown is none of mine ever leaked a drop and they are all built very well. Machining is great and from my experience that didn't vary from tank to tank. But for long lasting coils that work well, I'll put up with the extra step to keep the Herakles from leaking.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree, Flavor is great on the crown and IMO the Herakles Plus is almost or just as good. You are right though, a big plus about the crown is none of mine ever leaked a drop and they are all built very well. Machining is great and from my experience that didn't vary from tank to tank. But for long lasting coils that work well, I'll put up with the extra step to keep the Herakles from leaking.
I'll remember the Herakles Plus when I get another attack of shineyitis LOL

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When you get a proper set of Crown coils they're great and last long but for Crown to know they have a bad batch of coils out there and not do the right thing is disgusting.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When you get a proper set of Crown coils they're great and last long but for Crown to know they have a bad batch of coils out there and not do the right thing is disgusting.

I've been through literally dozens of boxes of Crown coils. I've never had one last longer than 30 mls - if that!

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been through literally dozens of boxes of Crown coils. I've never had one last longer than 30 mls - if that!
I've bought about 12 boxes so far. Out of the 12 I had 4 bad ones. All of them bought from a very reputable online vendor. My favorite coil for the Crown is the .25 SS but the Ni200 is a close second and when they're good coils they seem to last a bit longer. If was getting your kind of life out of them I would definitely switch tanks.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've bought about 12 boxes so far. Out of the 12 I had 4 bad ones. All of them bought from a very reputable online vendor. My favorite coil for the Crown is the .25 SS but the Ni200 is a close second and when they're good coils they seem to last a bit longer. If was getting your kind of life out of them I would definitely switch tanks.

I really only like the 0.25 coils, although the 0.5 are acceptable in a pinch! I've bought them from many different places, and I just think the cotton is so tightly packed that this is the nature of these coils. But as I say, the flavor and antileak to me are primo!

Ben-Rod

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Jack, I have a Herk+ and IMO it's not as good on flavor and as mentioned before it will seep and leak a bit on fill up. Closing the juice flow control off helps, but in my experience it will still do it from time to time. What I do like about the Herk+ is that the ss coils for it work like a charm in TC. Unlike the ss crown coils, which are a little janky in TC for me.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm still a noob in the vaping world. I have two crowns. Love the flavor from them but I can't get coils to last even to last even 3-4 HOURS. Screw days. I've followed videos, asked advice online and and B&M stores and still nothing. I've spent over $100 buying coils and as much as I want the tank to work I'm done. I vape at around 40ishW so it can't even be blamed on high wattages. Tried on multiple mods so the mod is out.

Currently using a TFV4 and a Kanger Toptank until I decide between the Triton 2 and the Herakles Plus.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm still a noob in the vaping world. I have two crowns. Love the flavor from them but I can't get coils to last even to last even 3-4 HOURS. Screw days. I've followed videos, asked advice online and and B&M stores and still nothing. I've spent over $100 buying coils and as much as I want the tank to work I'm done. I vape at around 40ishW so it can't even be blamed on high wattages. Tried on multiple mods so the mod is out.

Currently using a TFV4 and a Kanger Toptank until I decide between the Triton 2 and the Herakles Plus.
That makes no sense! So you're priming them as shown in this video?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
About how many mls of liquid are you getting out of a coil?

Also,it occurs to me since you mentioned you were new to vaping, are you sure the coils are actually burning out? When you take them out are they all black and nasty? I'm wondering if it's your taste buds, which is common when you start vaping!

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
About how many mls of liquid are you getting out of a coil?

Also,it occurs to me since you mentioned you were new to vaping, are you sure the coils are actually burning out? When you take them out are they all black and nasty? I'm wondering if it's your taste buds, which is common when you start vaping!

Been vaping about 4 months. Yes the coils are black. Very black, like charcoal black. I'm going to order some coils once more ( that's how much I want to like this tank ) If those do the same thing then I'll give up on it. It may be too smart for me. :)

Ben-Rod

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Order them from either vapenw or ecig.com l have been using the Crown for many months and have never experienced one bad coil. Mind you l always use the ni200....Good luck man it's awesome tank...

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Order them from either vapenw or ecig.com l have been using the Crown for many months and have never experienced one bad coil. Mind you l always use the ni200....Good luck man it's awesome tank...

I think I'll either wait a while to try again or give them away. Maybe someone else will be smarter than I. After this thread I pulled one out with my last .25 coil. Followed the video and primed right along with him. Even let it set longer. Burned out in less than 8 hours vaping between 55 and 60w. I know its a great tank. It's got to be something I'm doing wrong, but none of my other tanks burn out like this. I replaced my first coil in my Smok yesterday. I don't vape it as much as the crowns but have had it over a month.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I'll either wait a while to try again or give them away. Maybe someone else will be smarter than I. After this thread I pulled one out with my last .25 coil. Followed the video and primed right along with him. Even let it set longer. Burned out in less than 8 hours vaping between 55 and 60w. I know its a great tank. It's got to be something I'm doing wrong, but none of my other tanks burn out like this. I replaced my first coil in my Smok yesterday. I don't vape it as much as the crowns but have had it over a month.

It's nothing you are doing wrong, its just a bad coil design. Have you considered the RBA they sell for it?

Erik13

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've never, ever had a Crown coil last more than 5 days.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Been a while since I've used the factory coils, I have 4 RBAs for my 4 Crowns.
When I did use the factory coils, both the .25 and .5, they lasted weeks.
I never poked at them with needles, ramped them up watt-wize, or any of the other 'sure fire methods'.
I did prime them a tiny bit, then left them soak in the tank for an hour or so before vaping.
I use only TC at 30J/420F

I have no idea why these coils are going bad as quickly as others have experienced.
But, though I've experienced a few leaks with the RBA, the Crown is my favorite, tied with the Bachelor right now.
My Bachelor has never leaked, which is a huge plus in my book.

My .5 ohm coils were lasting about two to three days and started getting that burnt cotton hit. I read somewhere that the crown coils had the cotton packed too tight and one remedy was to poke the cotton with a small pin. I tried that and that seemed to help. Now the cotton is wicking like new and the burnt hits are gone for now. Don't know how many more hours or days I can get out of these bad coils? ( If they are bad?). I love the Crown for the flavor and good clouds and easy top fill design, but if the coils don't last longer than a week, that will be the end of Uwell for me.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I loved the crown when it first came to market, the coils lasted for weeks, now the coils are shit and the tanks are back in the box, I'll never buy another uwell product. Like Jack mentioned, they don't seem to give a shit the coils are garbage.

They will last longer using thin jooce, but not many folks use thin jooce in a sub tank. Using 100% VG in the crown the coil is shot before the tank is empty, even after punching holes in the cotton vaping at less than 50 watts....sad piece of garbage.

Update: The coil didn't even make it two days. Also every .5 ohm coil is registering .84 ohms on my Laisimo mod. This is the second pack of bad coils I have received. I ordered the GeekVape Eagle Tank as I am fed up with coils. Changing some cotton will be a cost savings and hopefully less aggravating.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Update: The coil didn't even make it two days. Also every .5 ohm coil is registering .84 ohms on my Laisimo mod. This is the second pack of bad coils I have received. I ordered the GeekVape Eagle Tank as I am fed up with coils. Changing some cotton will be a cost savings and hopefully less aggravating.
If you are into building your own, this may be a good choice.
If you want to stick with buying premade coils, look at the Aspire Cleito or Tobeco Super Tank as low cost replacement tanks.

Zortec2112

Member For 4 Years
I must be the oddball lucky one! So far I don't have a single complaint with the Crown. I love the top-fill design. The flavor and vapor production is fantastic. I've experienced only a few drops of leakage (usually from overfilling). The coils have been lasting me at least a month (had one in for around the two month mark as well). I follow the break-in procedure religiously. I don't go into the high wattage territory either - I stay around the 60 watt range. I almost went with the TFV4...but their coils are more expensive and because their "sweet spot" is at a higher wattage it'll go through battery life way faster. One thing that probably plays a significant part in the coil life I've been getting; I DIY my own juice - and I'm not using "coil gunking" juices, like custards, in the Crown - YET. I'm hoping my luck holds out with the Crown and their coils! Fingers crossed......

bpsound

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I have also left the crown and gave it and 4 coils to a friend. Forget that piece of garbage. I have now went to the tf-rta g2 its great and easy to build!
No more Coil buying experiences.

Capt.Hatchet

Member For 4 Years
I have 2 crowns. My fiance and both use them daily. We are using the .25 coils at 85-95 watts going thru 8-10 mls per day. Now I love these tanks. The flavor and clouds are awesome. But the past few months, the coils have been getting worse and worse. In the beginning we were getting 3 to 4 weeks out of a coil, now it is 3 to 4 days. Yes, I prime them correctly, I haven't changed my methods since day one. All I can guess is that the quality is going down on the coils. Now I find myself wondering if there is a comparable option out there for flavor, clouds, and coil price. Any ideas.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There's the new Coil Art CTUL coils for the Crown. Every time I'm anxious to try a new coil, the old one holds on forever. First time I've gotten an original Crown coil to last a long time, maybe it was the pin holes I made in the cotton. One thing I've noticed, Crown coils especially don't like dark and/or sweetened juice. Also, despite the ratings, I've found the wattages you've described will also reduce their coil life, and it seems to need a little time to rewick between vapes.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Try snipping the positive lead.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have 2 crowns. My fiance and both use them daily. We are using the .25 coils at 85-95 watts going thru 8-10 mls per day. Now I love these tanks. The flavor and clouds are awesome. But the past few months, the coils have been getting worse and worse. In the beginning we were getting 3 to 4 weeks out of a coil, now it is 3 to 4 days. Yes, I prime them correctly, I haven't changed my methods since day one. All I can guess is that the quality is going down on the coils. Now I find myself wondering if there is a comparable option out there for flavor, clouds, and coil price. Any ideas.
The TFV8 tank is very comparable to the original Crown. I've found the coils last for weeks if your not overdoing the wattage. Been vaping the Oct8 .15 ohm coils at 90-100 watts even though they are rated for much higher wattage. The flavor and cloud production is fantastic.

Haven't had a single coil fail, just replace them every couple weeks for better flavor.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Max I vape my 0.25 coils at is 60w and they produce fantastic flavor and clouds. Over that they start to taste burnt. 55 to 60 watts they last a week or longer with regular use. I come and go from the crown, when I'm on a kick with a new atty, it's on the shelf but I always go back sooner or later... till I find something new and shiny :)

A few people here are saying they are vaping over 80w and the coils don't last long... don't run them at such high wattage and they will last.

First off Hello All. I appreciate any light that can be shined on this issue. I am not new to vaping but am new to the uwell crown. I am having an issue where the coils burn out really fast and after about the first tanks there is a thick brown substance floating in the juice. I am running the .25 coils on an IPV5 at about 70 watts and then ramping it up slowly to about 90 watts depending on the juice. I prime as normal on the top and sides of the coil wait about and hour hit it with the air holes shut and start vaping. The taste is not pleasant at first but seems to go away after about a half tank. Then I look at the juice and hour later and this brown substance is in it. The juice then tastes very metalic. I am buying the coils from a brick and mortar that says they are the real deal but package in small bags so they can sell them as singles. This also happen'd with 2 out of 3 the stock coil that came with the device.

Any thoughts? Are the factory coils from uwell degrading in quality? Does anyone else use a third party coil for this? I checked out the atom G but was unsure they were not the best in the subtank.

Thanks for the HELP!
Uwell is not well, rather a company that is on it's death bed. Forget about them and you will not waste your money, Stick with the solid and proven SMOK tanks and you will be happy that you did.

bpsound

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just went rdta and called it a day. The crown sucks. PIF it to some one in need.

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
There is nothing wrong with the Crown Tank - The uWell coils however SUCK!

I bought CoilArt coils for it and it's back in the rotation. Bought the simple kanthal coils and man are they GREAT - best wicking coil I've seen.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, the juice holes in all coilart coils are massive. Need to try them in the crown sooner or later

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Buy the optional RBA deck! I did!
In fact I have 3 of them.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just tried the Coil Art 0.2 kanthal in Crown V1. Too soon to tell. There is a break in period, flavor getting better after a day or two, but not the great SS flavor from the og. Also, it is a lot airier and somewhat cooler lthan the Uwell coil, and likes about 15 more watts than the equivalent vape with Uwell 0.25. It could be my juice too. I will give it more time.

VU Sponsors