Become a Patron!

Uwell Crown Taste

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello everyone. I've been vaping for about 2 months now and got into sub-ohming a month ago. I recently got the uwell crown tank and I'm having trouble liking it.

I'm using the .5 SS coil that it came with on a subox mini in between 35w to 50w. Primed the coils thoroughly prior to using and let the tank sit for about 10 mins. First off, the initial taste was horrid. Not a taste I can really describe but a very funky taste that I couldn't bare. After about 2 tanks the bad taste gradually went away but wasn't replaced by the great flavor that everyone is raving about. The taste of the juice is very mild compared to my sub tank mini that I'm only using 35w on. Two same flavors head to head and the subtank mini is a winner by a mile. The cloud production is more on the crown but I'm more interested in flavor.

After about 1 day of use, the cotton on the coil head is getting very brown as well.

Any crown owners out there having any issues? What mod are you using with this tank and what wattage?

Thank you guys in advance.

AL

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That doesn't sound right at all! I use the 0.5 coils around 60 watts on many different mods (Asolo, D2, Sigelei, SX mini M class) and I've never experienced what you're saying. I wonder, though, about how you primed? I don't prime these coils like I do the STM coils - these are much more cotton packed and for me take a different method.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone. I've been vaping for about 2 months now and got into sub-ohming a month ago. I recently got the uwell crown tank and I'm having trouble liking it.

I'm using the .5 SS coil that it came with on a subox mini in between 35w to 50w. Primed the coils thoroughly prior to using and let the tank sit for about 10 mins. First off, the initial taste was horrid. Not a taste I can really describe but a very funky taste that I couldn't bare. After about 2 tanks the bad taste gradually went away but wasn't replaced by the great flavor that everyone is raving about. The taste of the juice is very mild compared to my sub tank mini that I'm only using 35w on. Two same flavors head to head and the subtank mini is a winner by a mile. The cloud production is more on the crown but I'm more interested in flavor.

After about 1 day of use, the cotton on the coil head is getting very brown as well.

Any crown owners out there having any issues? What mod are you using with this tank and what wattage?

Thank you guys in advance.

AL
In my experience using the Crown you need to crank up the watts to get the flavor and clouds. I liked the .25 way more than the .50, so my opinion maybe pick up a harder hitting mod to get the full benefits of the Crown. I was hitting the .50 at 55--65W and the .25 up to .80, if this helps you.

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That doesn't sound right at all! I use the 0.5 coils around 60 watts on many different mods (Asolo, D2, Sigelei, SX mini M class) and I've never experienced what you're saying. I wonder, though, about how you primed? I don't prime these coils like I do the STM coils - these are much more cotton packed and for me take a different method.
I'm hoping it's the lack of wattage and I have an ipv4s on the way because of it ($55 figured I can't go wrong) how do you suggest I prime my coils? It took a while to do. I basically dropped juice all the way around until the cotton seen through the holes were saturated. I still let it sit for about 10 mins after that.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm hoping it's the lack of wattage and I have an ipv4s on the way because of it ($55 figured I can't go wrong) how do you suggest I prime my coils? It took a while to do. I basically dropped juice all the way around until the cotton seen through the holes were saturated. I still let it sit for about 10 mins after that.

Sounds like you did it properly. Yes, I drop juice all the way around several times until the wick appears soaked. It's likely not enough wattage then - hope the IPV4S solves the problem! And, yes, for the first few puffs there is a weird taste until it gets going. I also start at 30watts, vape a few puffs, and repeat at 35, 40, 45, 50 etc until I'm up to where I want to be.

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like you did it properly. Yes, I drop juice all the way around several times until the wick appears soaked. It's likely not enough wattage then - hope the IPV4S solves the problem! And, yes, for the first few puffs there is a weird taste until it gets going. I also start at 30watts, vape a few puffs, and repeat at 35, 40, 45, 50 etc until I'm up to where I want to be.
I'll give it a shot as soon as I get my hands on it. Thanks guys!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
In order to avoid that nasty taste on my Triton & Zephyrus coils, I prime the wick as much as I can. However, before I reassemble the tank, I put the bottom part on my mod and fire it a few times, dripping more juice as needed, until the funny smell is gone. After that, I assemble the tank, and I'm good to go.

That's why I prefer RBAs, like the Billow V2, the Zephyrus with it's RBA, Goliath V1/2, etc.

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In order to avoid that nasty taste on my Triton & Zephyrus coils, I prime the wick as much as I can. However, before I reassemble the tank, I put the bottom part on my mod and fire it a few times, dripping more juice as needed, until the funny smell is gone. After that, I assemble the tank, and I'm good to go.

That's why I prefer RBAs, like the Billow V2, the Zephyrus with it's RBA, Goliath V1/2, etc.
I'm sure I'll eventually get into rbas. You can never say never in this hobby. Just not there yet.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
yes i have had the funky tast eon all 3 coils that cam eiwth mine.
it went away in half a tank though

on a brand new coil
start low
say 15 20 watts
take several drags then move up a few watts
repeat

the crown coils seem to need a break in period where kanger coils do not.

That ,5 should taste good at 50 watts
im running mine at 54.3 watts atm with tons of flavor

but i think your issue is from these coils needing broken in, something I dislike about crowns.

I feel they went with a different cotton then what they use for the maganus/starre coils.

it doesnt wick as well imho but it does wick bette rthen a lot of other coils out there

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yes i have had the funky tast eon all 3 coils that cam eiwth mine.
it went away in half a tank though

on a brand new coil
start low
say 15 20 watts
take several drags then move up a few watts
repeat

the crown coils seem to need a break in period where kanger coils do not.

That ,5 should taste good at 50 watts
im running mine at 54.3 watts atm with tons of flavor

but i think your issue is from these coils needing broken in, something I dislike about crowns.

I feel they went with a different cotton then what they use for the maganus/starre coils.

it doesnt wick as well imho but it does wick bette rthen a lot of other coils out there
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. That learning curve. I'll definitely try this with the new coils. Thank you.

jkoppk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Same taste issues I had with the crown when powering it with my rdna40. I picked up a vtc mini and it's unreal how 20 more watts brought the flavor out on the .5 and the nickel coils.

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just an update. I tried the crown with the ipv 4s and the difference is unreal. I'm only at 55w and the flavor just popped. I tried 50 with the subox mini and it wasn't something I can brag about. Hence the reason I started this thread. Thank you guys for all the help. The flavor is just awesome. Btw I rinsed the original coil and let it dry just so I can prime it the way you guys recommended. Thanks again for all the help.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can this be done... successfully?
@AmandaD

Washing the coil? I did two. One worked and one didn't :) I'm thinking the one that worked got rinsed under very hot water and then stuck in the UC for several cycles. I just killed one by running several hundred mls through this, and I'm not even going to try and save it!

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can this be done... successfully?
@AmandaD
I saw a lot of browning on the cotton and it was getting worse and worse in a matter of a day. I looked after finishing every tank. I was about to throw it out and start fresh so I figured I'd give it a shot. After rinsing, the brown spots started to go away so I decided to give it a shot. All I know is that the taste difference is night and day. I'm sure I cut the life of the coil in half but I'm enjoying it.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I saw a lot of browning on the cotton and it was getting worse and worse in a matter of a day. I looked after finishing every tank. I was about to throw it out and start fresh so I figured I'd give it a shot. After rinsing, the brown spots started to go away so I decided to give it a shot. All I know is that the taste difference is night and day. I'm sure I cut the life of the coil in half but I'm enjoying it.

If you catch it earlier enough, someone suggested running a q-tip through it, and also using one of those little Proxima dental brushes to clean the inside of the coil. I kept my coil going several extra days doing that (but I put about 30mls a day through mine).

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you catch it earlier enough, someone suggested running a q-tip through it, and also using one of those little Proxima dental brushes to clean the inside of the coil. I kept my coil going several extra days doing that (but I put about 30mls a day through mine).
I'm learning a lot from you. Feel like a kid on Xmas morning with the ipv 4s and the rinsed out coil :) kinda bummed because I don't know what to buy now feels like I got everything I need.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Don't worry - something else new and shiny will catch your eye soon:p
Amanda have you tried the RBA base on that one? It seems I saw it had one available, but I could be wrong. I'm hearing SO much about this tank it has me curious. I re-claimed my Lemo and am really enjoying that one.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amanda have you tried the RBA base on that one? It seems I saw it had one available, but I could be wrong. I'm hearing SO much about this tank it has me curious. I re-claimed my Lemo and am really enjoying that one.

LOL I did have one, but it didn't make a connection on either Crown base. So I sent it to Uwell (at their request), and they seem to be sitting on it now....

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I got the RBA with the tank. I don't like it at all. Truthfully, rewicking or rebuilding the normal heads seems to be a better option. I've rewicked one normal head and it worked out much better than using the RBA. You can get a very nice vape from the RBA but it can leak or dry hit pretty easily depending on how it is wicked. It doesn't have much room for the coil either.

+1 for the Lemo.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the RBA with the tank. I don't like it at all. Truthfully, rewicking or rebuilding the normal heads seems to be a better option. I've rewicked one normal head and it worked out much better than using the RBA. You can get a very nice vape from the RBA but it can leak or dry hit pretty easily depending on how it is wicked. It doesn't have much room for the coil either.

+1 for the Lemo.
Yes I thought that might be the case.

Although I can't imagine how you would rewick these heads without destroying the coil?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Yes I thought that might be the case.

Although I can't imagine how you would rewick these heads without destroying the coil?
patience and practice
i came close to rebuilding a maganus head which is the same thing with Ti.
it actually fired 6 times before shorting out and I threw it in the drawer...or was it the ta=rash....or across the room

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
patience and practice
i came close to rebuilding a maganus head which is the same thing with Ti.
it actually fired 6 times before shorting out and I threw it in the drawer...or was it the ta=rash....or across the room

I said rewicking, not rebuilding. I would love to see a video of someone taking out a used, gunked up coil and rewicking it!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I said rewicking, not rebuilding. I would love to see a video of someone taking out a used, gunked up coil and rewicking it!
I believe if anyone could, it'd be you, Amanda. I'm continually amazed by your posts!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Same concept
pull the piece at the bottom
then the insulator
the carefully from the opposite side push the cotton and coil out as one solid piece
the carefully remove the cotton pads

you could insert the proper diameter rod through the coil first to help maintain its shape

then its just a matter of figuring out how to rewick

since I have no clue where to get those cotton pads
youd either have to try and cut your own
or just use regular cotton,rayon etc

You would keep a rod through the coil to help maintain its shape

And then use the rod to help reinsert the whole coil/cotton assembly back into the coil housing

see its simple

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
And just in case it wasn't obvious... I'm talking about a crown coil, not a kanger occ. That's just the thread it was in.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same concept
pull the piece at the bottom
then the insulator
the carefully from the opposite side push the cotton and coil out as one solid piece
the carefully remove the cotton pads

you could insert the proper diameter rod through the coil first to help maintain its shape

then its just a matter of figuring out how to rewick

since I have no clue where to get those cotton pads
youd either have to try and cut your own
or just use regular cotton,rayon etc

You would keep a rod through the coil to help maintain its shape

And then use the rod to help reinsert the whole coil/cotton assembly back into the coil housing

see its simple
LOL Not simple at all! I'll see if I have the patience tomorrow, but I suspect I'd rather build 100 coils than take on this project (and I've built a gazillion coils). I suspect this project is for people with the patience to build claptons - but I'll check it out, although looking at the state of this well-used coil I'll be surprise if I can even get it out without messing up the coil itself!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ist not hard at all
if you do a you tube search for rebuilding maganus or starre coils
ITS THE EXACT SAME THING

Getting them out is easy and thats the only part I think is easy.

figuring out how to replace those cotton pads and how much to use so it fits back in the coil housing was my problem when I tried this

i just got a crown yesterday and i started out at 30watt with the .2 coil cause it tasted better at 30 than 50 watt. after about 1 hr of vaping i upped the watts to 40 and another hour later i brought it upto 50w on my 100w sigelei box. the flavor on this tank is now amazing as i thought it was good on my RDA.

scotterics

Member For 4 Years
I bought a black crown tank yesterday (I normally run kennedy drippers and subtank minis) and have it settled in at 70 watts and 435F (nickel coil) on the vt200..

I'm super pleased with this thing and see another one in my very near future

Tastes damn near as good as my drippers but with the convenience of a tank

You guys with the RBA section... Thoughts on the RBA vs "pre-made" coils?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought a black crown tank yesterday (I normally run kennedy drippers and subtank minis) and have it settled in at 70 watts and 435F (nickel coil) on the vt200..

I'm super pleased with this thing and see another one in my very near future

Tastes damn near as good as my drippers but with the convenience of a tank

You guys with the RBA section... Thoughts on the RBA vs "pre-made" coils?
I didn't like the RBA much...airflow was a little tight compared to the stock vertical coils... also I had a bit of trouble building on the little deck. And as good as a .25 coil hits it's not worth the effort to build it in the first place, least it's that way with me...

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know if this is psychological but 50w on my ipv4s is tasting a lot better than 50w on my Subox mini. Not sure why but it just hits faster and just a much more solid hit.

I wanted the ipv d2 due to the size but I was afraid It wasn't going to cut it for the crown.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know if this is psychological but 50w on my ipv4s is tasting a lot better than 50w on my Subox mini. Not sure why but it just hits faster and just a much more solid hit.

I wanted the ipv d2 due to the size but I was afraid It wasn't going to cut it for the crown.

.5 Crown coil hits really good on my D2 at 47-50w..

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
.5 Crown coil hits really good on my D2 at 47-50w..

Good to know, there was a deal on both of them and the price difference was about 10 bucks. I ended up getting the ipv4s for $60 after taxes and 2 day shipping. I figured better safe than sorry.

I really want the ipv d2 for it's size because I can't always carry this brick around. At least jacket season is coming up and I'll have bigger pockets.

jkoppk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good to know, there was a deal on both of them and the price difference was about 10 bucks. I ended up getting the ipv4s for $60 after taxes and 2 day shipping. I figured better safe than sorry.

I really want the ipv d2 for it's size because I can't always carry this brick around. At least jacket season is coming up and I'll have bigger pockets.

Well be glad you got the

Be glad you got the ipv4s running the crown at 50-60 watts the way I Vape means a battery change every 2 hours or so.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well be glad you got the

Be glad you got the ipv4s running the crown at 50-60 watts the way I Vape means a battery change every 2 hours or so.
I guess I can call it glad too, lol...I chain vape, and running the crowns at 65w or so with the .25 coils batts go all day long, and then some on a single charge..(running the 2600 mAh AWT batt seen here)
b0e0eac39ee1cb89d690eda6f8c52a2e.jpg

06728c3fb8fc41c92605d21cc069b6c6.jpg
on my two IPV4's...just sayin
sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL Not simple at all! I'll see if I have the patience tomorrow, but I suspect I'd rather build 100 coils than take on this project (and I've built a gazillion coils). I suspect this project is for people with the patience to build claptons - but I'll check it out, although looking at the state of this well-used coil I'll be surprise if I can even get it out without messing up the coil itself!

It was WAY easier to rewick the Crown heads than the video made it seem. It took maybe 10 minutes (on my first try) and worked perfectly. I used one strip of KGD cotton that I pulled in half to make it thinner. I used a piece of the old cotton from the head as a guide for cutting the new cotton. Also, you don't need to remove the cotton that covers up the wick holes. Just leave it in the head.

If you don't have a torch you can easily clean the coil with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. Stainless steel cleans up much easier than kanthal. I honestly find it far easier to rewick the Crown heads than it is to wick the RBA. If you give it a go please tell us your thoughts.

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well be glad you got the

That was another reason why I went with it. I drive most of the day and I'm loving the battery life. I'm not regretful I got the ipv4s at all. Best 60 bucks spent. My battery life is 2 strong days with the .5 coil. Haven't tried the .25 yet but I will.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I gotta think that with as much cotton that there is in theses coils it's going to be tough to get it all in the housing with damaging the coil or cotton. Too little and it may gurgle just like you love you much.... NOT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ironman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I taste a huge difference between the rda and the prebuilt coil. I thought I had vapers tongue until I built a twisted 30ga nickel coil wrapped 11 times. The flavor came back. I had a bit of trouble finding the right amount of cotton but I finally got it right. Worth a try

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Love the stock coils. But after I figured out how to wick the RBA head, I found out how good it really is. Stellar flavor and airflow if built correctly. I will normally run with the RBA head in it now.

ironman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I want to increase the diameter to 3mm and less cotton. I get a dry hit after chain vaping it

ironman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Love the stock coils. But after I figured out how to wick the RBA head, I found out how good it really is. Stellar flavor and airflow if built correctly. I will normally run with the RBA head in it now.

I just used all 3 coils that was included no they have had the burnt rubber taste for the first tank. How's your experience

VU Sponsors