Become a Patron!

Vandy Vape Swell Waterproof 188W Kit

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Swell Waterproof Kit from Vandy Vape. The Swell Waterproof 188W Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ariel from Vandy Vape.

http://www.vandyvape.com/kit/kit/kit/kit/swell-kit/

Introduction

The Swell Kit is another project between Vandy Vape and Tony B and the Swell mod is packed full of features yet the device out the box is set-up in wattage mode only making it suitable for newer vapers and those that just prefer simple regulated devices. The Swell allows you to activate whichever features you prefer to set the device up to have all the features you want without carrying extra unwanted baggage. The device with batteries removed can be cleaned under the tap and also features Bluetooth for connectivity to the Vandy Vape App. The Swell comes paired with the Swell tank (very familiar) so let's give the Kit a good look and find out just how Swell it is!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x Swell Mod
1 x Swell Tank (pre-installed triple mesh 0.15ohm coil & 3ml straight glass)
1 x Accessory bag
1 x 4.5ml Bubble glass
1 x 0.15ohm Single Mesh coil
1 x USB Cable
2 x User manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Swell Kit came in nice fold open cardboard packaging and on opening i found i had received the Rock Black Resin panel version which like all versions comes with a Black Swell Tank. The device comes in plenty of Resin and G10 panel designs which are, Obsidian Black, Red Arowana, Brown Alligator Snapper, Green Anaconda, Blue Iguana, Violet, Rock Black, Swamp Green, Wave Blue, Flame Red, US Flag and UK Flag.
The device is lightweight being made out of plastic yet it has a high quality look and feel to it and with batteries inserted is a really nice weight in the hand. The device curves slightly outwards from top and bottom to the centre of the face of the device and the spine is evenly curved making it very comfortable to hold. On the spine we have "VANDYVAPE" carved into the plastic which shows how thick the casing is and on the face we have a large, round protruding fire button at the top followed by the screen underneath. Below the screen we have the 2 smaller, round navigational buttons lined up vertically followed by the micro USB port.
Both sides we have identical panels then moving to the base to both edges we have notches for panel removal and some branding central. Up top we have a Gold plated, spring loaded 510 in an unorthodox position with swell design surround.

Swell Tank Specs and Features:

24mm Diameter (26mm widest point)
3.0ml Standard Juice Capacity
Included 4.5ml bubble glass
Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
Stainless Steel Construction
Threaded Top Fill System
0.15ohm Single Mesh Coil - Rated for 50-90W
0.15ohm Triple mesh Coil - Rated for 40-100W
0.3ohm Single Mesh Coil - Rated for 40-60W (not included)
Dual Slotted Bottom Airflow Control
Thread: 510
Colour: Black

Swell Tank Overview

The Swell is a nice looking subohm tank which comes pre-installed with a 3.0ml straight glass which is indented in from the top and bottom of the tank so if it's dropped the glass won't hit the surface the tank falls on so very unlikely to break. It's pretty standard comprising of top-cap, juice port ring with attached chimney and the base section with airflow control ring. The coil gets screwed into the base and the top of the coil screws to the chimney when the tank is screwed together. The glass is secured in place top and bottom with o-rings and can easily be removed for cleaning or swapping for the included 4.5ml bubble glass. The Swell comes with a 510 wide bore Resin drip tip that has a design to match the panels on the device, the o-rings are fitted to the socket of the tank rather than the drip tip itself but other 510's will fit. The tank is very familiar looking and apart from the top-cap tapering smoothly to the drip tip rather than having a nut design i really fail to see any difference between the swell and the previous Jackeroo and Trident tanks (different names, same tank) apart from one detail. The top of the tank has an easy screw off top-fill method even if the threading is a bit crunchy, just half a turn and the top is off to reveal a generous filling port and that mentioned added detail which is a small hole to let air escape when filling. The airflow is large dual cyclops, the control ring has texturing and moves with a nice tolerance. The finish feels like a rubber paint which gives the tank a matte look which suits the Black matte finish of the device's chassis, finally we have a protruding, Gold plated 510.

The Coils

You get supplied with 2 different coils one of which is new to the range of coils for the Jackeroo, Trident and now Swell tanks. The new coil is the pre-installed 0.15ohm Triple mesh Coil - Rated for 40-100W, the other included coil is one of the coils that came with the Jackeroo and Trident tanks which is the 0.15ohm Single Mesh Coil - Rated for 50-90W. The third available coil which isn't included is the net style 0.3ohm mesh coil rated between 40-60w which is the other coil which was included with the jackeroo and Trident Kits.

Swell 188W Mod Specs and Features:

Size: 82mm*26mm*55mm
Power Range: 5-188w
Working Voltage: 6.4-8.4v
Working Current: <50A
Output Voltage: 0.5-7.5v
Coil Resistance Range: 0.05-3ohm
Modes: Power/TC-Ni/TC-Ti/TC-SS/ Bypass/Voltage
Turn modes and features on/off
Waterproof PCBA
Bluetooth to work alongside Vandy Vape App
Portable Size And Incredible Light Weight
Replaceable G10 & Resin Panels With Multi-Colours Options
Dual 18650 Battery With 188W
Colours: Obsidian Black, Red Arowana, Brown Alligator Snapper, Green Anaconda, Blue Iguana, Violet, Rock Black, Swamp Green, Wave Blue, Flame Red, US Flag, UK Flag

I weighed the device with and without installed batteries:

Just device = 93g
Device with installed batteries = 186g

Fitting The Batteries

To fit the dual 18650 batteries as you look at the face of the device it's the right panel that needs removing, you can find a notch at the bottom to get your fingernail into. Battery orientation is clearly labelled on the sides of the compartment and the batteries fit deep and snug, when it comes to removing the batteries both panels need removing and you just push the batteries from the reverse side that pops them out. It is an extra step to remove the batteries but as this method means no chance of damaging wraps and it's not as if batteries need removing every few minutes i don't see it as a con. The panels fit in place by both magnets and precision press fitting, in fact the fitting is so precise i doubt if the magnets were not present it would make much difference, they are very secure and no movement whatsoever, cracking job!

The Display

The Display is sharp, vibrant and very bright, i think the first thing most people will look for is how to turn the brightness down. The display is clearly laid out so we have a busy yet not cluttered display giving all the needed information. Up top to the left we have our 2 battery status bars then underneath is the wattage, temperature or voltage depending which mode we are in. Then we have the mode followed by resistance on the left and voltage on the right, instead of voltage this will display wattage when in temp control or voltage modes. Next we have puffs followed by the length of your current or most recent puff, underneath is a real time progress bar. When the device is paired with a phone or tablet running the app a little mobile phone icon appears top right.

Note: All pictures showing the display is with the brightness turned right down as my camera couldn't cope with the brightness.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Waterproof

This shouldn't be confused with the high IP rating that the Aegis mods or Jackeroo device has so the device isn't watertight but all the internal electric components have a waterproof coating, so making sure you remove your batteries first the device can be quickly put underneath a running tap if it needs a good clean and the device will still work fine afterwards.

Navigating The device

The Swell is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and once on you are met by the already described vibrant, bright display.
Pressing the fire and up buttons together locks and unlocks the navigational buttons but whether the device will still fire will depend on what setting you have selected in the settings. Pressing both navigational buttons and fire together is stealth mode and 4 clicks of the fire button brings up the comprehensive preheat and curves section. The choices are Normal, Soft, Hard, DL (which is a preset curve to suit DL vaping), MTL (again is a preset curve this time to suit MTL vaping) and App which allows you to load and use a curve you have created using the Vandy Vape app.
Clicking the fire button 3 times highlights the mode on the main screen and you can scroll through the modes, however only modes that have been turned on in the settings will appear and the device comes out the box with wattage mode activated only.
Pressing up and down together enters the icon driven menu system and the icons represent the following, Settings (this includes the modes that can be turned on). Hibernate (Screen time-out), Brightness (adjust), Puffs (reset), Replace UI (brings up different fused colour options for the accents on the display), firmware and serial numbers, Factory Reset and finally exit. Choosing settings brings up TC, Voltage, Bypass (turning any of the modes on doesn't choose those modes, that is done with 3 clicks and scrolling through the modes on the main screen. It turns the individual modes on so they will be an option when choosing which mode to select). We then have Fir (this is where you can choose whether or not you want the fire button to also lock when you lock the navigational buttons), ARR (Automatic Resistance reading), APP (This is for turning on Bluetooth to use with the App) and finally Exit.
When in temperature control clicking the fire button 4 times causes the watts to blink (positioned where in wattage mode we had voltage), while this is blinking you can set wattage for temp control. Finally just to mention the device adjusts in 1W increments and at a very nice speed.

Vandy Vape App

The star feature of the Swell is the Bluetooth connectivity to use the device alongside the vandy Vape app. The app is up and running on android devices but i was only met by "coming soon" when trying to get the iOS version so i couldn't try it but have seen it in action.
While paired with the device you are running the app on if the device goes out of range and loses connectivity you are alerted, also if in range but you can't find your device you can ask the app to tell the device to make a sound so you can follow that sound to find it.
To be honest when i first heard about the device that is all i thought the app would bring to the party but there is much more including updating firmware using the app, controlling wattage, temperature and other features via the app and also creating custom curves that can be uploaded and used on the device, can't wait to give it a go!. If i was to have any con it's the fact the iOS version does not seem fully ready. As i explained i was unable to download it although i have heard if you look hard enough on the internet you can download a beta version, surely if this is one of the main marketing features then the app should be available on all the popular formats before releasing the device? (It may be ready when the retail version is available but i can only go with how it stands as i have heard no different).

Protections

Short Circuit Protection
Open Circuit Protection
Over-heating Protection
10 Seconds Cut-off
Low Battery Warning
Over Current Protection

My Experience Using The Swell Kit

As usual i first have to point out that i do not vape using temperature control or have access to data so my review is based on how i personally experienced the device. There is very little i can find fault with so have to be picky to at least get some balance to the review but for me the biggest con which is subjective is the positioning of the 510, i understand having it central to the 2 batteries allows the device to be slightly shorter but to me it just looks wrong. There is also just the slightest play with the fire button but it didn't bother me too much and when shaking the device it's not loose enough to cause any rattle. I'm pretty certain as people start receiving their Swell kits the iOS version of the app will be fully up and running , if not very soon after but i did find it a pity i couldn't have a good play as it does look a cool feature. Finally the device allows for up to 25mm absolute max before very noticeable overhang so not one for those that like their big atty's.
Moving to the Swell tank and as mentioned it differs very little from the Jackeroo and Trident tanks so the 0.15 single mesh coil gave the same slight turbulence even if it does give good flavour, i was pleased however with the inclusion of the 0.15ohm triple mesh coil which gave at least as good flavour but this out of the 3 available coils gives the smoothest vape (for me airflow halfway at 65W). The tank is very decent for a kit tank but also very thirsty and even with the bubble glass i found myself refilling often.
The Swell device feels great in the hand. ergonomic either thumb or finger firing and a lovely weight. The fire button as mentioned has slight play but is nice and clicky and the device fires instantly with good ramp up speed. All the wattage's i tested seemed accurate and the device didn't let me down performing reliably.
I love how modes can be activated or turned off and controlling the device and changing (activated) modes from the main screen is very user friendly.
Having a waterproof coating on the internal electronics is a bonus and the device having Bluetooth connectivity is a great feature, finally the display is very well laid out, colourful and easy to read, it's a swell device!

Well made device
Really nice weight (light but not as lightweight as some plastic devices)
Aesthetically pleasing
Loads of Resin and G10 design panel options
Ergonomic design
Very bright, sharp, vibrant screen
Screen fused colour accents can be customised
Wattage, Voltage and Bypass modes
TC Mode Ni, Ti, SS (not tested)
Preheats and preset curves
Panels fit very securely with no movement whatsoever
Bluetooth connectivity to use device with Vandy Vape app
App features find device, firmware upgrades and custom curves feature
Turn modes on or off
Very easy to navigate
Set device up to be from very basic right up to being all singing all dancing
Waterproof PCBA
Adjusts in 1W increments (nice speed to scrolling)
Decent tank included
Both coils gave good flavour
Triple mesh coil gave very smooth airflow
Bubble glass included

Cons

Weird positioned 510
Any atty's over 25mm will noticeably overhang
Slight play with fire button
iOS version of app wasn't ready for download when i was testing device (should be ready for download for retail customers)
Swell tank so similar to Jackeroo and Trident tanks also taking same coils (it seems they are just giving the same tank different names)
Single coil turbulent
Ploughs through e-liquid (needs filling regularly)

I would like to thank Ariel from Vandy Vape for supplying the Swell Waterproof 188W Kit for the purpose of this review.

http://www.vandyvape.com/kit/kit/kit/kit/swell-kit/

VU Sponsors