Become a Patron!

Vapefly Galaxies MTL Starter Kit 1400mAh

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Galaxies MTL Starter Kit 1400mAh from Vapefly. The Galaxies MTL Starter Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Fiona from Vapefly.

http://www.vapefly.com/galaxies-mtl-starter-kit/

Introduction

The Galaxies MTL Starter Kit is a little vape pen style MTL set-up which combines the styling of the galaxies MTL series and the Nicolas MTL Tank. The Galaxies MTL tank has the same 9 different airflow settings and plug in style coils which we saw with the Nicolas while very much having a Galaxies look to it. The first or second review i did was of the Vapefly Nicolas and i rate it highly when using the 0.6ohm BVC coil which is ideal for the loose MTL vape i like and it also gives cracking flavour. The Galaxies MTL Tank comes with the same Nicolas 0.6ohm coil pre-installed and both Nicolas coils are compatible with the Galaxies, it also see's the introduction of the mesh 0.5ohm MTL Galaxies coil head, also included in the Kit. The device features 2 different constant output levels for a consistent vape that suits and the option of using the device in bypass. The little pocket friendly device punches above it's weight with a 1400mAh battery and comes in 4 colours, let's give it a look!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x Galaxies MTL Tank (0.6ohm)
1 x Battery Mod
1 x Galaxies Mesh Coil Head (0.5ohm)
1 x Replacement Glass Tube (1.8ml)
1 x Micro USB Cable
1 x User Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Galaxies MTL Kit came in the familiar style of cardboard packaging that recent Vapefly products have come in and on opening i found i had received the Stainless Steel version. The different colour options are, Stainless Steel, Black, Gunmetal and Rainbow, if the Stainless Steel version is anything to go by and also studying the online pictures then all Galaxies tanks match the colour of the batteries perfectly. When i first saw a few pictures of this kit the battery appeared to have a curved lined groove design on it but on the Vapefly website, vendor outlets and certainly the one i received seems to suggest this appearance has been ditched for a smooth plain look. As mentioned the device is very plain looking with just an elongated oval fire button with LED surround and micro USB port on the reverse, we also have safety stamps etched on the base but no branding on the battery section whatsoever.
The Tank has "GALAXIES" carved into the airflow control ring and also on the control ring we have a slot and single hole for airflow adjustment. The tank has a chamber with attached air pipe which is visible through the glass tube and the top-cap is domed with lined groove effect. Up top we have a MTL delrin drip tip which is a 510 fit but most 510's won't fit as i will explain later. At only 121mm high from the base of the battery to the top of the drip tip and 19mm in diameter it's a nice pocket friendly size and is very light (it feels Aluminium Alloy, but i could be wrong). The build quality is very good with all threading and machining being of high quality.

Galaxies MTL Starter Kit Specs and Features:

Atomizer Height: 46.4mm
Atomizer Diameter: 19mm
Mod Height: 80mm
Mod Diameter: 19mm
Capacity: 1.8ml
Battery Capacity:1400mAh
Output Power: ≤30W
Voltage Range: 3.2V-4.2V
Resistance: 0.5ohm (16W-23W), 0.6ohm (18W-25W)
Galaxies MTL Mesh coil head brings amazing flavor
1400mAh high battery capacity prolongs working life
9 levels airflow adjustments meet different needs
Three adjustment output modes: Blue light(3.7v)/Purple light(3.3v)/Green light(bypass mode)
Three protection: Overtime Protection/Low Power Protection/Short Circuit Protection
Easy refilling and coil replacement
Colours: Stainless Steel, Black, Gunmetal. Rainbow

It's Various Parts

The main section of the tank is a chamber with attached air pipe which the coil gets press fitted into. The glass is fitted over this chamber section and is sealed and secured in place by a very broad o-ring so while filling the glass will stay securely in place. The top-cap gets screwed onto the tank via the central threading on the air pipe and the top of the glass is sealed and secured by another o-ring.
Up top we have a 510 delrin MTL drip tip but the bottom section that fits into the top-cap is shorter than usual and the hollow in the top-cap is also shallow to match, i have tried a few other 510's and they fit tight enough but gap by between 1-2mm so actually i would class it has a proprietary 510 fitting, luckily the supplied drip tip looks the part and is comfortable between the lips.
Finally we have the base section which gets screwed to the bottom of the chamber section. Looking inside the base section we can see the positive plate and when looking at the underneath we have printed safety stamps, branding and a Gold plated 510 that sits almost flush. The base section also has the airflow control ring which i will cover in a later section.

The Coils

The coil heads just get press fitted into the chamber where they are sealed both top and bottom with o-rings. So simply unscrew the base section, push the coil head in place then screw the base section back on the tank. The specs are written on the coil heads but no material but i have always assumed (and pretty sure i'm right) that they are kanthal.
Pre-installed we have the Nicolas 0.6ohm coil which i use to buy in packs of 5 as once the Nicolas was the tank i used most before i started DL vaping more and then moved to RTA's, this coil is rated at 18W to 25W and i always used it at 25W with a very loose MTL draw and both flavour and coil longevity was impressive. Despite using this coil at it's high wattage rating with a loose draw when experimenting i found it to be very versatile and also performed well at much lower wattage with a tighter draw despite being 0.6ohm.
The other included coil is the Galaxies 0.5ohm Mesh coil head with a rating of 15W to 23W which is the coil head i used for testing. Don't be fooled by the sub-ohm coils and quite high wattage ratings for MTL the narrow bore on these coils make them true MTL and there is no way you can DL with them.
The Nicolas 1.8ohm coil head which i only used the one that came with the Nicolas and then stuck with the 0.6ohm coils will also fit this so i can only conclude that vapefly don't mention this in the marketing because when testing they found this coil head doesn't suit the set-up so well or it might simply be a oversight.

Filling

The Galaxies has a wide open fill method which is quick and convenient but a couple of tips need following else you quite possibly will flood the coil.
First i always close the airflow before unscrewing the top-cap, then simply fill between the glass and air pipe. Then you screw the top-cap back on turning until it just slightly tightens so you have a liquid seal then turn upside down before finishing tightening to create a vacuum, now you can re-open the airflow and after giving the cotton time to saturate start vaping.

Review Continued Below:

Last edited:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

The Airflow

The Airflow is a series of 5 holes each hole fractionally smaller than the one before, then on the airflow control ring we have a slot followed by a hole which has the same diameter has the largest hole in the series of 5. This means you can use the slot to have 5 holes open, 4 holes open, 3 holes open, 2 holes open or just the smallest hole open. Or if you like a tighter draw you can carry on turning and use the hole instead of the slot lined up with any of the different sized holes in the series of 5.
This gives 9 different airflow options but if you like to be even more precise of course you can for example have 2 and part of the next hole open or using the hole on the AFC just a partial hole open.

Operating The Battery

The device is simple enough to be easily used by a new vaper trying to get off or keep off the stinkies while still having some adjustability to get the vape you like.
The device is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off with each action being confirmed by 3 flashes of the fire button surround in the colour that represents the current setting.
To change the setting you need to click the fire button 3 times quickly and the LED surround of the fire button flashes twice in the new settings colour, the settings are:

Blue = 3.7V constant output
Purple = 3.3V constant output
Green = Bypass mode

Bypass mode will give more power if needed than the constant output settings when the battery is new but will decrease in power as the voltage of the battery drops.
When vaping the surround of the fire button lights up the colour indicating the setting you are using which is my main con for the device has on most devices of this kind the indication when pressing the fire button would be battery status which means apart from the buttons surround lighting Red when the battery has dropped below 3.2V and needs charging the Galaxies has no battery status indication. This might only be a small issue to many but for me it's a big con as i always like to have some idea of how much life the battery has at any given time. The LED surround of the fire button also flashes various colours when a safety protection kicks in and finally you charge the device via the USB port. I found charging to be another con as it took 2 hours which for a 1400mAh battery is just not quick enough, it's 2019 not 2016 when that would be acceptable.

Protections

Low Power Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Overtime Protection

My Experience Using The Galaxies Kit

After testing the Kit i really feel this is a much better option for a new vaper than most pod/AIO devices that are being released which have just far too much air with little or no adjustability. Many of these pod systems claim to be both MTL and DL but at best you can manufacturer a very loose MTL draw and they are really much more suited for restrictive DL vaping.
The Galaxies offers true MTL vaping and as mentioned don't let the fact they are sub-ohm coils fool you into thinking this offers anything else. The airflow adjustability covers every spectrum for MTL from super tight right up to very loose but definitely not DL.
The Nicolas 0.6ohm coil i have always rated in the same league has the Nautilus coils for flavour and versatility when it comes to different amounts of airflow but i find they can take even more power than the Nautilus coils while still giving good longevity (relative of course to other MTL stock coils).
I used the Galaxies Kit with the Galaxies 0.5ohm mesh coil and it really produces stunning flavour which after using the device when out and about for a couple of weeks still hasn't dropped off. When trying different airflow settings though i don't find this quite as versatile as the Nicolas 0.6ohm coil and was best with a cigarette type pull (a medium draw) up to a loose draw rather than with the Nicolas 0.6ohm coil which you can use with any MTL draw. I use to use the Nicolas coil with both 50/50 and 70VG juice so tried both ratios with the Galaxies mesh coil and it performed great with both.
I like the 2 different constant output settings and you can try the different settings with different airflow to get the right combination of draw and warmth that suits you.
The battery life for such a small pen style device i found very good but lack of battery status indication is a big con for the device in my opinion as is the 2 hours charging, the 1.8ml e-liquid capacity is better than it sounds as i thought i would be filling this every half an hour which wasn't the case although more capacity would be better. The only other con is it's a proprietary 510 drip tip but the supplied drip tip looks good on the tank and more importantly is very comfortable so really i didn't find this a major issue.

Conclusion

The Galaxies MTL Starter Kit is a cracking set-up especially for a new vaper and in my opinion a better option than many pod devices that are not catering adequately for MTL. Lack of battery status indication and sluggish charging does let it down but at the price i have seen the Kit getting a pair so one is always fully charged is an affordable option.

Nice build quality
4 colour options
Pocket friendly portable set-up
Lightweight
Ergonomic vape pen style
Nice large clicky fire button
LED fire button surround (power setting and low power indications)
2 different constant output settings
Bypass option
True MTL set-up
9 airflow settings (super tight to very loose MTL)
Nicolas 0.6ohm coil head, excellent flavour, decent longevity
Galaxies 0.5ohm mesh coil head, excellent flavour, decent longevity
Quick, convenient open top-fill
Spare glass
1400mAh battery, gives very good life
Very reasonably priced

Cons

No battery status indication
2 hours to charge the battery
Proprietary 510 Drip tip (although supplied drip tip is very comfortable)
Higher e-liquid capacity would be better

I would once again like to thank Fiona from Vapefly for supplying the Galaxies MTL Starter Kit for the purpose of this review.

http://www.vapefly.com/galaxies-mtl-starter-kit/

VU Sponsors