Become a Patron!

Vaping and Cardio.

I am a MMA and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner and I was wondering if vaping had the same effect on your lungs and cardiovascular conditioning as regular cigarettes.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nope. Do you currently smoke or vape?

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great question. haha when I first read the subject I envisioned someone vaping WHILE doing cardio.

One would assume better than smoking, not as good as not doing anything at all to your lungs. Since nicotine can have negative long term effects on the heart etc, I'm assuming top-flight MMA guys would not vape -- or put anything into their lungs that isn't air.

I'm interested to see if anyone knowledgeable with any medical training chips in.

Great question. haha when I first read the subject I envisioned someone vaping WHILE doing cardio.

One would assume better than smoking, not as good as not doing anything at all to your lungs. Since nicotine can have negative long term effects on the heart etc, I'm assuming top-flight MMA guys would not vape -- or put anything into their lungs that isn't air.

I'm interested to see if anyone knowledgeable with any medical training chips in.

Thanks. I was just curious.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In the research I've done I've found it said that Nicotine (on its own) isn't as addicting as it has been made out to be with respect to tobacco products. There is some recent research (I can't remember where I stumbled across it) that actually shows that there is actually therapeutic benefits to Nicotine when it comes to mental aspects. Vaping doesn't raise heart rate or BP (which I have personally experienced at 3mg/ml). There hasn't been enough long term studies to determine if there are any long term cardio vascular effects from vaping. It will be a daunting task due to the huge number of variables. As it has been said, vaping is healthier than smoking and not vaping is healthier than vaping. Time may show that there may be a certain combination that may yield a therapeutic level with minimal risks.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was doing a lot of cardio when I was still smoking and had been steady at 45-60 minutes of moderate to heavy cardio several times a week for about 6 months by the time I quit.

My tolerance for it shot up significantly a little while after switching to vaping. I was pushing harder and recovering much faster. My blood pressure and resting pulse went down. I have, however noticed a bit of tightness in my chest if I get started on some moderate cardio immediately after vaping.

Just a bit of a heavy, restrictive sensation. Not nearly as bad as what I always had when I smoked, but worth noting. Also worth noting is that the heaviness always passed within the first 10 minutes and seemed to have no effect on my pulse, blood pressure (yes I wear a monitor because I do my cardio on a bike, so it's the only way to have a good sense of the level of cardio I'm doing as I go along.)

Dunno if the answers are out there, but I can say that I haven't noticed any decline in my performance over the past couple of years vaping. Who knows what's going on inside my body, though. Nothing out of the ordinary thus far.

Last edited:

greengold55

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does anyone notice a noticeable shortness of breath from vaping, as opposed to not vaping at all?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My cardio has improved a significant amount compared to smoking..i can ride my mountain bike harder and faster and not be out of breath in 5 minutes...i can jog around the block now without it feeling like i was just punched in the chest by mike tyson..As to how it may effect a non smoker ,couldnt really say

Vaperjim

Not here for the Drama!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been doing cardio and weightlifting for many years, even when I was smoking a pack and a half a day. Since starting vaping, my workouts have improved and I no longer suffer from a shortness of breath during the workout. Goodbye wheezing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Breathing as good as I was when I wasn't vaping. I work in a hospital, so I can hook myself up to a fairly accurate o2 machine. My girlfriend says I snore less after I starting vaping.

Gratefulvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am a MMA and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner and I was wondering if vaping had the same effect on your lungs and cardiovascular conditioning as regular cigarettes.

http://www.ecigarette-research.com/web/index.php/research/2013/144-electronic-cigarettes-contrary

Check this article out, it points out that the short term effect are significantly less than traditional Cigarettes. I not telling people vaping is safe (it super important to me that people know they are still smoking no matter the forum.) but from what little research has come out there is little reason to believe that they are worse than cigarettes, still bad, just not as bad.

VU Sponsors