Become a Patron!

Vaping and cough

Hi,

About 4 months ago I felt really unhappy. Especially about my weight. I was untill my 33 a heavy smoker, without pub 30 cigarettes, with pub 50 cigarettes a day. Starting the addiction at 13 years old..

I quit for over 5 years but I could not maintain my weight. Somehow I felt this could be a solution for me, so after starting vaping I did loose 12 kilos without any food adjustments. A good result after 4 months it does control not taking a lot of food..

I bought small devices moving to my current an egrip 2 with the adapter in the tank and then the kangertech subtank mini on top. Currently on the coil 0.5 ohms you can rebuild.

I keep coughing on this. I am using 70/pg30vg with a few drops of taste added. I have tried different power level but somehow I cough a lot with the device.

Also with the smaller devices, I have the same problem..

If I let it rest the cough is also gone.. Currently using 6 mg nicotine, but the 12mg I have is slightly worse..

Any ideas? I have read that I should by 100% vg with 10¨%distilled water witch I can create cheap with my distiller.

Thanks,

newbie here..

Last edited:

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm thinking maybe the throat hit is irritating your throat. You said 6mg makes you cough but 12mg is worse right? Try dropping it down to 3 and see if that helps.

If it just came on all over a sudden you may just be sick and your throat is irritated. Hence the vape will exacerbate it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

txs, No it is not all over a suddon, I had it early. Though you are right, I might be a little sick at this moment, therefore seeking help about the issue, because it is now irritating me more The 12 mg is worse, but it depends on the efluid. Mentol or mint is better, even the 12 mg I bought. I can't change to 3mg now, but I did order some nicotine free fluid, so I could give the 3 mg a try soon..

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you tried higher VG juice yet or tried vaping 0mg unflavored straight pg or vg to see if either of those make you cough?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
You could try a 50/50 blend at 6mg of nic.

PG does contribute to TH and that could cause you to cough as well.

I checked, but even commercial ones I have is 70%PG 30%VG, so I did order some 100%VG base fluid at 6 mg nicotine and also some 100%VG base without nicotine intented to mix and see if suggestions help, txs. Afraid I already got some delay warning about the 100%VG bought.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Either you are irritated by the TH caused by nic which would cause a dry cough directly after exhale, for that you would need to lower your nic level.
Or you are allergic to either PG or VG which would result cough due to mucus buildup and to figure out which one try 100VG with distilled water and separately 100PG then figure out which one makes you cough.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
PG is also well known to dry out the soft tissues in your mouth and throat.

One of the reasons I always advise vapers to drink plenty of water which also prevents vapers tongue where your tongue dries out to the point where you can't taste your E-liquids:deadhorse:

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had a lot of coughing when vaping a smok osub. All of my liquid was 3mg nic and I had a mix of 70/30 and 80/20 VG/PG ratio stuff. I have since bought a small kanger Evod and doing 50/50 juice. I can do 0mg nic just fine, but 6mg nic and my throat and chest feel it immensely. I am only vaping about 9 watts with this little guy. None the less.....I can attest to nicotine being an irritant.

I am still waiting for the liquids to try some of the tips out. The nicotine level does not do mutch for me.. I tried 12 mg and I think I got some form of overdose. I had a panic attack, that dissapeared after a big walk. I am though a nervous person, that might be in play.

Today a new kangertech mini subtank was delivered, with 0.5 ohm coil, (pre-coiled). I am now 100% sure the self coiling is nothing for me. I like the premades much, much better, much less irritation as well. So that is one thing I learned, to buy the 0.5 ohmm occ replacements. I won't be using my old kangertech until some new coils arrive.

Second reason I struggle with the self coil. The screws looses to often, and for last days the top of the coil screwed off as well, very hard to put out of the kangertech. A good screw driver and kitchen paper helps, but I already did that more then enough, after a while it loosens. Will spend my money one premade coils further, the last one lasted 3 months, so that won't hurt..

Of course thats my personal experience, not saying it won't work for others..

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years
Hi,

About 4 months ago I felt really unhappy. Especially about my weight. I was untill my 33 a heavy smoker, without pub 30 cigarettes, with pub 50 cigarettes a day. Starting the addiction at 13 years old..

I quit for over 5 years but I could not maintain my weight. Somehow I felt this could be a solution for me, so after starting vaping I did loose 12 kilos without any food adjustments. A good result after 4 months it does control not taking a lot of food..

I bought small devices moving to my current an egrip 2 with the adapter in the tank and then the kangertech subtank mini on top. Currently on the coil 0.5 ohms you can rebuild.

I keep coughing on this. I am using 70/pg30vg with a few drops of taste added. I have tried different power level but somehow I cough a lot with the device.

Also with the smaller devices, I have the same problem..

If I let it rest the cough is also gone.. Currently using 6 mg nicotine, but the 12mg I have is slightly worse..

Any ideas? I have read that I should by 100% vg with 10¨%distilled water witch I can create cheap with my distiller.

Thanks,

newbie here..
Hi- I'm also a bit of a Noob, vaping 5 months and still smoking half a pack a week (bc I REALLY really like it!).
I had symptoms for a long time after picking up vaping, coughing which I never did when heavy smoking.
So, it might just take you a long while to adjust, but in the mean time, try using hard candy, mints or lozenges while vaping and yes, drink more water! (also good for weight loss)
Recently I started to have a problem with sore throat, mostly felt like my throat was closing up, especially at bedtime. You don't mention what wattage you are vaping at, so maybe this will help:
I use a Pico 80 watt TC on wattage mode with a 0.5 coil and Melo III tank- I was vaping @ 48+- watts. Turned it down to 36 watts and it's much better. I think I was actually burning my throat, bc I chain vape all day, so I am also avoiding taking a puff if my mod feels hot to the touch.
Just for a point of reference, I am vaping 3mg/ml NIC in 60/40 VG/PG. I also find mouth-to-lung a little easier on the throat than direct lung hits.
Haven't lost any weight though--- :(

Well since I was an ex-smoker for over 6 years, I must say vaping does help for me to loose weight, I can controle my appetite as I wish. I know many will dissaprove, but hey, I did not decide it over one night, and holding that much weight at the belly is proven to be dangerous for men.

Today one other supplier delivered and by wonder my other supplier send the goods as well.

So today I got a bottle with 125 ml 70%VG 30%PG 3mgs of nicotine. I added a full 10 ml mint bottle taste. I added some small left over mint bottles and a bit left over USA regular. Then added half a bottle of 10 ml taste methol.

It did not mix properly, but steeping it and putting it in the fridge somehow made it mix. (it is in a glass bottle)

I tried first vaping 6mg nicotine pure VG, (other delivery) no additives. It did not made me cough, also not afterwards. But I felt the nicotine at 25 watts, it was to strong, so after 5 puffs I stopped. I did not wan't any panic attacs.

So back to the +- 3MG nicotine mix, 70%VG 30%PG, and some small leftovers and taste: It does not have troat hit, now vaping at 32.8 watts at 7.40 v, the coil is reported as 1.67 ohm mouth to lung.

I don't need the throat hit, I vaped a lot and then let it rest for a few hours, and no coughing...Sneezing is also gone..

And one of the best parts the bottle 125 ml costs 7.50 EU. Since many things are happening in Europe, will order some more.. I saw some "restrictions" coming about the bottles. Read something about maximum bottle size.. I am sure when vaping expands, this will be higly regulated in a short time in Europe.

Thanks all!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well since I was an ex-smoker for over 6 years, I must say vaping does help for me to loose weight, I can controle my appetite as I wish. I know many will dissaprove, but hey, I did not decide it over one night, and holding that much weight at the belly is proven to be dangerous for men.

Today one other supplier delivered and by wonder my other supplier send the goods as well.

So today I got a bottle with 125 ml 70%VG 30%PG 3mgs of nicotine. I added a full 10 ml mint bottle taste. I added some small left over mint bottles and a bit left over USA regular. Then added half a bottle of 10 ml taste methol.

It did not mix properly, but steeping it and putting it in the fridge somehow made it mix. (it is in a glass bottle)

I tried first vaping 6mg nicotine pure VG, (other delivery) no additives. It did not made me cough, also not afterwards. But I felt the nicotine at 25 watts, it was to strong, so after 5 puffs I stopped. I did not wan't any panic attacs.

So back to the +- 3MG nicotine mix, 70%VG 30%PG, and some small leftovers and taste: It does not have troat hit, now vaping at 32.8 watts at 7.40 v, the coil is reported as 1.67 ohm mouth to lung.

I don't need the throat hit, I vaped a lot and then let it rest for a few hours, and no coughing...Sneezing is also gone..

And one of the best parts the bottle 125 ml costs 7.50 EU. Since many things are happening in Europe, will order some more.. I saw some "restrictions" coming about the bottles. Read something about maximum bottle size.. I am sure when vaping expands, this will be higly regulated in a short time in Europe.

Thanks all!

It sounds like you're somewhat intolerant of PG, and perhaps also of too much nicotine -- you weren't a smoker just before you started vaping, right? I don't personally see any problem with non-smokers vaping, with or without nicotine, whatever their reasons may be -- it's MUCH better than starting smoking for the myriad reasons people may do that, and also better than overeating or over-snacking. It makes sense that non-smokers wouldn't really care much for Throat Hit; those of us who do like it, like it because it provides a better substitute for smoking, if there's TH.

If you stay at 70% or more VG and 3mg or less nicotine, it sounds quite manageable for you. :)

Andria

Yes indeed, nicotine intake (smoking) was 6 year ago, I was a heavy smoker before. (30 to 50 cigarettes per day) I must say after first day with the new mixture, no coughing nor sneezing any more. I can make clouds now, fill the room with vape. Very happy, complete different experience!

Surprised you haven't burned your coil using such high watts and volts at the ohms you state. Glad it's working for you now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors