Become a Patron!

Vaping and Fire Alarms: My Story.

PryingOpenMyThirdEye

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Have you ever wondered for SURE whether vaping would set off a fire alarm? I've wondered, but never bothered doing my research mainly because I figured it was impossible. I would've put money on the fact. Well it's not. Here's my proof. This happened about an hour ago at work.

9ef715d0abbc0a5bc0b9579ca1dc1178.jpg

There's a good 200 people out of frame and behind me. A mixture of two corporations including the one I work for. Each and every one of them wondering why for the first time the fire alarm actually went off. Realizing that the system actually works.

This all went down when they changed our break policy and made the stretches longer. I can't go 3 hours without hitting my vape! So I did what I usually do; Excuse myself to the single occupant restroom and vape on... Well I built my first 24 gauge dual twisted coil last night .20 ohms and had my Rx200 set to 60 watts. :::dripdripdrip::: took about 7 or 8 pulls off the RDA, washed my hands and then it happens. The fire alarm starts flashing followed by a loud annoying siren. I take a long hard look in the mirror and say to myself "No... No no no... That was not ME! This is some sort of coincidence." I was partly convinced. I quickly tuck my bulky rx200 as inconspicuously as I can back into my pocket and take another quick glance into the mirror. I walk out and I'm greeted by a fellow colleague who sees through the hidden look of "oh fuck, I actually did this" in my face and he starts laughing as he knows my daily ritual. We make a B line for the emergency back door exit and I quietly confess to him that I think that this may have been me. He tells me to relax and by the time anybody makes it to the bathroom the vapor will be gone. I cling to his words and hope he's right. I can hear the fire departments sirens in the distance. I mingle with people around me as we complain about stupid things like how cold it is outside and gawk at the owners new Tesla.

Not long after, the FD arrives and as each minute passes I become more assured that the vapor will be gone (though it doesn't help that there is no ventilation fan in there and it's a small bathroom.) Finally, they call us back in. Everything is clear. False alarm. A tsunami of relief flushes across my body and we walk back to our desks and it's back to fixing stupid XFINITY customers' problems.

My supervisor and I are pretty tight. He's as fed up with this place as I am. I tell myself that in a weeks time I will tell him as nobody will give a shit by then and I know he'll have a good laugh. About 20 mins later he walks in and he can't keep it together. He gives me a look holding back his laughter and I just nod my head yes. He bursts into hysterics and says he knows because they just checked the cameras and they have me walking out of the bathroom "holding my vape"--which is complete Bullshit. I'm always discreet on these bathroom sessions. He tells me that the owner of the company knows and my boss and his boss need to speak with me. I get ushered into my boss' boss' office and we shut the door. He has a huge smirk and shakes his head. Reminds me about the company policy and I'm told if I'm caught vaping on the property again I'd be terminated which we all knew was Bullshit because I carry a lot of weight in this dept. I explain myself, fib a little bit about how many hits I took, and here I am on lunch--freezing my ass off outside dripping some bomb ass juice typing this all while the owner and CEO see me from their executive view windows chucking monster clouds and I'm loving it.

So yeah. Be careful. I'm investing in a micro vacuum next.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PryingOpenMyThirdEye

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Fire alarm companies test their systems with VG based "puffer" tools. Most of the new fire and smoke detectors use optics now.
I'd like to add in that I'm not in any way, shape or form a gambling man. Good to know. This is the black comedy known as my life.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I set one off in my Hotel once, never was a problem when I was on my old Atlantis, jumped to the TFV4, didn't think anything about it, BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP, and as I was calling the front desk they called me, told them it was a false alarm and there was no issue in the room and they turned it off. Now I vape right by the windows and blow it out and don't have issues.

That's when I learned exactly what Zam said, they aren't just sensing smoke anymore but using various triggers, one being a cloud of stuff going past it.

PryingOpenMyThirdEye

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Stupid xfinity customers? Are you the idiot that can't fix my bill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. I was the installation tech for 9 years and now I work for a contracting company troubleshooting issues over the phone. And yes... Stupid xfinity customers who can't figure out why there is no picture on the screen and their TV is unplugged.

PryingOpenMyThirdEye

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The smart ones don't call in unless it's something out of their control.

Last edited:

PryingOpenMyThirdEye

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I set one off in my Hotel once, never was a problem when I was on my old Atlantis, jumped to the TFV4, didn't think anything about it, BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP, and as I was calling the front desk they called me, told them it was a false alarm and there was no issue in the room and they turned it off. Now I vape right by the windows and blow it out and don't have issues.

That's when I learned exactly what Zam said, they aren't just sensing smoke anymore but using various triggers, one being a cloud of stuff going past it.
I realized that as I stood outside in the cold googling "can a vape set off a fire alarm?"

Capt.Hatchet

Member For 4 Years
Oh I love this! I am glad you didn't get in trouble. Thanks for the laugh!

I am a sprinkler fitter. Which means I install fire sprinkler systems and work closely with fire marshalls. I had wondered myself about setting off alarms when I first started subbing. While doing a walk-through on a job with a fire marshall we were discussing it and he actually had me set one off to test it. Sure enough, it worked.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PryingOpenMyThirdEye

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you look near the main entrance of the building, the guy to the right is the owner of this multi million dollar corporation. He's pretty cool and took me for a spin in his Tesla, but I'm not too sure how he feels about me now :)

PryingOpenMyThirdEye

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well I just almost shit my pants reading this.
Yup in the bathroom at working vaping away. Thank God no fire alarms in there had to double check lol
Luckeeeeeeeeeee....

What's crazy is about 30 mins after this whole ordeal my boss is like look out the window and I look and see the fire truck on the side of the road and they had the tire off for some reason. I figured it was just a flat but 4 hours later I left and as I'm driving off I see it STILL there and a crew of guys and spot lights working on the fire engine. They never made it back to the station. Thank god they have another truck otherwise I'd feel pretttttyyyy pretttttyyyyyy prrrreetttttyyyyyy guilty if there was an actual fire somewhere :rolleyes:

XX_Fallen_XX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A few months ago I had set the fire alarm off in my GF's parents house at around 1am. The dad vapes but not like me and my "cloud chasing addiction". So fire department shows up and the whole neighborhood is calling and asking if everything is ok. My new nickname for the whole block is "Smokey"

I am a vaping metalhead

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
lol thats just great. Im glad you found it out instead of me though. I vaped in my companies bathroom a couple times, not enough to fog the room up, but a few good pulls, and with each hit Im wondering to myself if it could set off a fire alarm. As far as I could see theres no detector in the bathroom, so I guess Id have been in the clear. My bosses probably wouldnt have been as cool about it as yours tho, especially since just last week some jerk off almost burned down another of the companies building with a mech mod. Idiot just threw the thing in his bag with the batteries still inside and no button lock or anything. It got pressed on something and fired until it set the bag on fire and a quarter of the office on top of that.Even now they are giving serious consideration to banning vapes on all company property.

Random

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You shouldn't find smoke detectors in the restroom in most places,although some municipalities require them in there(a heat detector is a better choice,)deorderant,febreze,hair spray can set them off.Basically any aerosol in the correct quantity will do the trick.Smoke detectors can't tell the difference between a smoke cloud and any other type of cloud.

Last edited:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup - my daughter used to set off the one in the hallway all the time:eek:
Every. Single. Night. From when I moved into my new condo until I unplugged the smoke alarm in the hall outside my daughter's bathroom...still have them up inside each bedroom, plus a smoke/carbon alarm in the living/kitchen/dining area even though we've got an all-electric unit...but man was that thing annoying. And how does code allow for a bathroom with no window and a "vent fan" that doesn't vent anywhere except into a tiny closed box?

VU Sponsors