Vaping Decreasing the Immune Response?

The Vape Space

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
So in response to a recent study on mice, which noted a decreased immune response, I went ahead and made this video to illustrate some methodological/conclusive errors in the study and the response from journalists. Hopefully this helps y'all rebuttal any fallacious claims that may come as a result!

The Vape Space

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Lololol Woah Woah Woah... As creatures endowed with the faculties to recognize, utilize, and communicate their self-determination, I think it is an affront to their liberty to ban this. Leave it up to the market, for mice to choose as they so please.

What's great is that even in the mice, the immune suppression was not severe.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have't watched your video yet because I'm downloading something and whenever I try to use youtube when I'm doing that everything gets screwed up, but plan on checking it out a little later :)

The Vape Space

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
No worries, I understand the struggle is real.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great video, great points, thanks for sharing.

Prsurf2k

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I haven't watched your video cause I'm at work and ca't get to it from here. But I will say this My whole family (excluding me) has been sick witha an upper respiratory ilness of some sort hacking cough fever etc. I have yet to get sick. I attribute this to my not smoking anymore and also vaping. When I was smoking i used to get sinus infections upper respiratory infections and so on. I ahven't been sick in six months now. (Watch now i will get awfully sick since i just jinxed myself...LOL).

The Vape Space

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Great video, great points, thanks for sharing.
Thanks brother!

Well I haven't watched your video cause I'm at work and ca't get to it from here. But I will say this My whole family (excluding me) has been sick witha an upper respiratory ilness of some sort hacking cough fever etc. I have yet to get sick. I attribute this to my not smoking anymore and also vaping. When I was smoking i used to get sinus infections upper respiratory infections and so on. I ahven't been sick in six months now. (Watch now i will get awfully sick since i just jinxed myself...LOL).

Do the adults of your family smoke, and if so, do they smoke in the house?

Prsurf2k

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am one of the adults in my household, and my wife does smoke. We do not smoke in the house (i ocasionally vape in the livingroom when the kids are in bed). I vape in my small office room.

CPMP15

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
does anyone know what kind of Mod the mice use because I'd like to see the video

The Vape Space

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Ahh, well that explains your wife being sick... And kids... Well their immune systems are inherently far weaker than your average healthy adult.

They used Njoy 18mg E-Cigs... Even monitored them to make sure they weren't being overheated/overdischarged. A really well performed study honestly.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They should ask the Chinese to do their tests, they seem to have no problems using humans for tests instead of mice;)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I would also add in the years I have been vaping, I have only had 1-1/2 colds (one was hardly worth mentioning) when the rest of my family was hacking and sneezing.

I am not sure but vaping may have helped me avoid the flue. Which is great if true as I am one of the ones that is allergic to the vaccine.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only illness that I've had since I started vaping was the same one that everyone at my office, and that all of my friends had. It was a mild, but drawn out upper respiratory infection. Started in the upper chest, and moved up 1/2" every week. I have a very small bit of it left in my sinuses. Comparing notes with everyone else that I know who has it, it followed the exact same progression. My non vaping / non smoking friends have it too. I have been sick far less than I was when I was a smoker.

The Vape Space

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
If you guys watch the video, I discuss the dangers of confirmation bias, and correlation equaling causation.

Byter

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Quit smoking Sept 2011. If I've had anything since then it was so minor I don't remember it. Before then I got to the point that I was getting ear or upper respiratory infections 2-3 times a year. Insurance Doc (Nurse Practitioner) at company clinic said ears not related to smoking but I didn't believe then and definitely not now that I've been infection free for over 4 years..

The Vape Space

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
They are individual experiences, and while there may be a larger truth to them, they are not sound in their validation. The mass of studies in the notes that do not involve confirmation bias, and support the assertions made, help validate the video.

Not trying to be a dick, or belittle anyone's experiences, as they are signs of good things in our day to day lives - I'm just saying if you're going to take on scientific studies, take it on on that playing field.

Last edited:

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not really interested in the science of it. There are plenty of other interesting topics that I would love to delve deep into the science of, but vaping is not one of them. I do not need science to prove to me that vaping has improved my health. That would be akin to doing in depth research to prove that rain is wet. Kudos to you for pursuing it to that level. I hope you find gratification. Based on my own experiences, I believe that I can in fact take the experiences of others as validated.

The Vape Space

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I can understand that, and I do what I do to make the scientific things behind vaping - that can be daunting to some - a little more palatable... but that position you espouse begs the question... If you don't care about the science behind vaping and health, why are you in a health thread? If you already know - why look further?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I got to see the vid, VS.. finally.. ;)
good to know.. think now it wasnt a bug, it's just my nerves..
my son hasnt been sick in over a year and a half now.. and... he doesnt vape..
to think on that, really blows my brain a bit, but your vid did help understand..

thanks!

The Vape Space

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Vaping, or nicotine I should say, does probably decrease the immune response... Not nearly as much as cigarettes, but still.

It was the title. It contradicts everything I have observed. And then... there were vaping mice...

As former smokers, we have to be careful with the conclusions we draw from our observations... Things will always look up coming off of pack a day smoking.

Mice are used in scientific studies because their systems have a vast amount of similarities to humans, and the cost involved is far less than paying homeless people to vape and then be euthanized for studies... which even outside of the ethical questions, still would have problems with methodology.

VU Sponsors