Become a Patron!

Vaping, good days & bad days?

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Am I the only one that has good and bad vaping days?

I am a fairly new vaper (5 weeks without a cigarette!!) Some days I LOVE vaping and can't get enough of it. Perfect throat hits, smooth flavor and no irritation.

Other days are the complete opposite, soar throat, no flavor, irritated lungs and a tongue that feels like a cat slept in your mouth!!

Do others have good and bad days, or will this go away after time?

JXN

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just have days when a favorite mix doesn't taste quite as good. I keep several on hand to find what's good that day. Never had vapor's tongue, irritation or any of that. I'm 8 months in.

Edit: Hey looky there ... 9 months in, how time flies.

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I first started, I vaped like smoking. I raised my nicotine level which slowed down my vaping. I also learned about vaping unflavored nicotine to give my taste buds a chance to recovery from flavor overload.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Some days I am content.
Other days I cannot get a single fucking coil to fire correctly to save my life... fuck trying re-roll a coil or wick it.

Oh and forgot this little nugget..
The shit days are also followed up with burns..
Hot wire finger sizzles, or the molten liquid across the hand or other body part. Currently nursing a fairly decent set of splatter burns on my chest.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I must been born under a lucky star, lucky vaping star that is. lol
In the past 2yrs I've been vaping most all my days have been great, I kid you not. Once I learned what my needs were in terms of nicotine levels upgrading the delivery systems has been easy and very enjoyable...Only bad days I can remember vaping was when I had the flu, and vomiting didn't go with anything I did, including vaping..
So yes, I say good days are 99% good, all good! For me anyway.. Lol

from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It does take your body some time to adjust. I honestly believe it fights back sometimes. You're used to analogs and that's what your body and senses have come to welcome and expect, thanks to the loads of chemical additives in cigarettes. They force your brain to crave them, not just the nicotine. For the first month or so, I vaped and smoked. Sometimes it was just easier than fighting it. But once I got in that mindset of "This is just the way it's gonna be," I just did it. My body and senses soon followed and I haven't looked back.
Make sure your throat issues aren't from sensitivities to PG or VG. Vaping does dry you out, hence the tongue issues. Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. I've heard VG can give the "heavy" feeling in the lungs and that PG can make your throat sore. If you have a sensitivity to either, it will just take time to figure out your sweet spot with the ratios in your juice.
Hang in there, five weeks in is awesome! And there's a lot better days ahead, I promise. :)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It does take your body some time to adjust. I honestly believe it fights back sometimes. You're used to analogs and that's what your body and senses have come to welcome and expect, thanks to the loads of chemical additives in cigarettes. They force your brain to crave them, not just the nicotine. For the first month or so, I vaped and smoked. Sometimes it was just easier than fighting it. But once I got in that mindset of "This is just the way it's gonna be," I just did it. My body and senses soon followed and I haven't looked back.
Make sure your throat issues aren't from sensitivities to PG or VG. Vaping does dry you out, hence the tongue issues. Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. I've heard VG can give the "heavy" feeling in the lungs and that PG can make your throat sore. If you have a sensitivity to either, it will just take time to figure out your sweet spot with the ratios in your juice.
Hang in there, five weeks in is awesome! And there's a lot better days ahead, I promise. :)
Sweetie I was a 2 pack a day smoker for over 20yrs...I quit smoking tobacco and started vaping the very same day...I did cough a little at first but that was because my nic was too high with 24mgs in my juice...
Dropped my nic down to 12mg and it was a much smoother vape, very enjoyable on my first mod/RDA.. (nemesis/patriot)...I also had good advise/help from the guys at my local shop, who did my first build for me..
My acquired nicotine addiction was suddenly satisfied in a way I never dreamed possible..
That was over 2yrs ago and I'm still blown away how much I do enjoy my vaping... My body liked not smoking anymore, (instantly) and some of the
side effects are wonderful as I've lost weight (vaping cuts my appetite) I'm not short winded or out of breath, I can taste and smell again and my clothes, truck and my room no longer smells like a dirty ashtray....great side effects, for me anyway, lol

from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

Last edited:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hacked up phlegm for a couple months after I quit smoking, but after a while my chest and throat started clearing up, the cough went away, and it's been pretty much smooth sailing since, bank account be damned...

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@smacksy ....You were lucky! (Especially with the weight loss....would like to figure a way to vape my pounds away...lol!)
I think some of my problem was habit. I noticed if I was driving to work, there were spots along the trip that I craved a cigarette. Same places every time. If I answered the phone, I reached for a cigarette. While chewing my last bite of a meal - cigarette. For a few weeks, the body wanted the cigarette, not the vape. I did increase my nic level and that helped quite a bit, but some of it was just pure habit and the fact that cigarettes made me feel a certain way the vape didn't accomplish. But I'm so happy to be away from it now, the smell, the taste, the expense - all of it. Guess we're all different beasts by nature, but as long as we reach the same goal, we're good. :)

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I understand. I'll have an atty wicking and hitting like a dream, then two hours later, the wick is shot, and I get a burnt taste. Usually it's from laziness on my part, and a lack of rebuilding, but it happens sometimes. Vape gear can be temperamental.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Some days I am content.
Other days I cannot get a single fucking coil to fire correctly to save my life... fuck trying re-roll a coil or wick it.

Oh and forgot this little nugget..
The shit days are also followed up with burns..
Hot wire finger sizzles, or the molten liquid across the hand or other body part. Currently nursing a fairly decent set of splatter burns on my chest.

At least my bad days have not resulted in any injuries :D

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@smacksy
I also quit smoking the same day I started vaping. The first few days where rough but I was determined to quit smoking cigarettes. I had one cigarette around the 5th day because I forgot my Juice at home and my tank ran out. Surprisingly I did not like it at all. I also had to increase my nic level. The guy at my local vape shop suggested I start with 6mg because I smoked a little less than a pack a day, that was a BIG mistake. I was back in a couple days and bought 18mg juice. The 18mg juice did the trick & now I am down to 12mg. The other problem I had was the Kanger Emow I was using when I started vaping. It did not produce enough vapor & throat hit to satisfy my cravings.

@Teresa P I still "Think" I want a cigarette at times too. After a meal and with my morning coffee are the big ones for me.

Overall I feel MUCH better after vaping for 5 weeks. The constant shortness of breath I had is gone and my lungs feel like they are actually working properly for the first time in years. My only problem is some throat irritation & coughing that comes and goes. Those are my bad vaping days. The strange thing is I never really coughed very much when I was smoking cigarettes. I guess my lungs are clearing out all the crap I put in them from 20 years of smoking cigarettes.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@smacksy
I also quit smoking the same day I started vaping. The first few days where rough but I was determined to quit smoking cigarettes. I had one cigarette around the 5th day because I forgot my Juice at home and my tank ran out. Surprisingly I did not like it at all. I also had to increase my nic level. The guy at my local vape shop suggested I start with 6mg because I smoked a little less than a pack a day, that was a BIG mistake. I was back in a couple days and bought 18mg juice. The 18mg juice did the trick & now I am down to 12mg. The other problem I had was the Kanger Emow I was using when I started vaping. It did not produce enough vapor & throat hit to satisfy my cravings.

@Teresa P I still "Think" I want a cigarette at times too. After a meal and with my morning coffee are the big ones for me.

Overall I feel MUCH better after vaping for 5 weeks. The constant shortness of breath I had is gone and my lungs feel like they are actually working properly for the first time in years. My only problem is some throat irritation & coughing that comes and goes. Those are my bad vaping days. The strange thing is I never really coughed very much when I was smoking cigarettes. I guess my lungs are clearing out all the crap I put in them from 20 years of smoking cigarettes.
You're doing it and you're SUCCEEDING! You're WINNING, whether it feels like it every day or not. It takes some people longer to clear the lungs than others - I still get the "spooge" in the back of my throat occasionally - but I can actually breathe, taste my food, and walking down the bread aisle of the grocery store is heavenly....the wonderful smells.....:)

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Teresa P I have noticed that my sense of smell and taste are coming back too!!!

Its strange because when you are smoking you don't realize that your sense of smell and taste buds are completely shot.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At least my bad days have not resulted in any injuries :D

I had a hard time switching to vaping. It wasn't just the hardware, it was mostly that I smoked for about 37 years and it was hard to change that habit, or more like addiction. But I really had to change or die so I hung in there and I've been smoke free for three years now :cool:

But it wasn't always easy. Vapers tongue got me a few times until I learned how to avoid that, I also bought some hardware that crapped out on me real quick and then I got into rebuildable attys and thought I was in heaven until this happened:

2e36fpf.jpg

It was a great microcoil, 9 wraps I believe I see there, that I caught on the side of my finger when it was hot and slipped out of my grasp and I caught it kinda wrong :eek:. Live and learn.

I don't have bad vaping days anymore. It's more of a hobby that I can take or leave now, but as long as I'm vaping I know for sure I won't go back to smoking. Hang in there my friend. The more you learn the better and easier things get.

Vape on.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Ryedan OUCH,,,,, that looks like it hurt!!!

Thanks for the encouragement, I have NO intention of going back to cigarettes ever again. I Have quit smoking "Cold Turkey" once before and that lasted SEVEN YEARS. I got back on the nicotine roller coaster by smoking the occasional Cigar on the weekend with friends. I thought I could be a part time Cigar Smoker :D that quickly turned into smoking Cigars and "Colts" every day. I then went back to cigarettes because the Cigars where killing me!!! That was 3 years ago.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have good days and bad days.

Sometimes I can vape a ton without any issue. Other days, like today, my throat feels dry and nearly every hit makes my throat itch and i'm drinking water as much as I'm breathing air and the only times i don't cough is if i take a drink right before taking a hit.

But, it's most likely linked to the fact I had off work yesterday and today. Yesterday I vaped a lot, today my throat is dry as a result.

SteveW

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A bad day vaping beats a good day smoking. Always.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Lets just say today was a BAD vaping day for me. That was a FULL BOTTLE when I dropped it :mad: To add insult to injury I went to a new vape shop after work and bought 2 bottles of "Premium Juice" (AKA Expensive) to replace it and I am not loving them. That bottle in the picture is my "Daily Vape" and the only Juice I have found that I don't get sick of after a few hours. Looks like I am going back to my regular vape shop tomorrow for a new bottle.

Attachments

• BottleBroke.JPG
    BottleBroke.JPG
    545.2 KB · Views: 7

VU Sponsors