Become a Patron!

Vaping Old or "Spoiled" Liquid

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So a guy I mix liquid for hits me up today and says a couple bottles have gotten considerably darker in color. I run through the usual culprits - nicotine content, certain flavorings, exposure to excessive light or heat. He's still curious as to how to tell if the liquid is bad (it came in a date-stamped, tamper-evident sealed bottle), and what happens if it is.

I know that nicotine content can fade as a liquid ages, as can flavorings, and that sweeteners can cause darkening of liquid. But beyond that, does anyone really know what happens to a liquid as it ages? Is there anything that would make otherwise-safe liquid become unsafe, short of contaminants being introduced to an open bottle? Does liquid just not taste as good?

While I'm hesitant to act as a medical authority (I'm certainly not a doctor), I figured I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has some greater insight. I've always been told with regard to older liquid that if it tastes good vape it, if it doesn't don't...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The most that happens is oxidization and perhaps flavor fade. As far as I know it doesn't 'spoil' in the usual sense of the word!

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to have a bin with my first vape gear and liquid tucked away in my closet. There were bottles of juice in it that had to be 3 years old. They were BLACK. Not espresso black... ...spent motor oil black. Because I'm an idiot, I had to vape some out of curiosity. I didn't get sick and die!

It didn't really taste like much of anything. It also didn't vape well. All I got were tiny amounts of PG-flavored vapor.

I've always wondered about it, myself, though. I mean, given PG's anti-microbial properties, I imagine that the contents would simply oxidize or otherwise degrade (some chemical bonds naturally seperate, even in dark, cool, anaerobic environments.)

Isn't PG also a dessicant? If that's the case, then mold is probably not going to be an issue... ...at least not with something that's at least 30 or 40 percent PG, I'd think.

I've always figured that juice just goes stale, but doesn't spoil. I do still wonder what all of the compounds in a bottle of juice degrade to. Some of them could potentially be simpler, but much more toxic compounds. Or perhaps some of those simple compounds may react to form new, toxic compounds under certain conditions. Chemistry is freaky like that, sometimes.

I somehow doubt that it is in this case, though.

Last edited:

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was vaped some 3 year old tasty vapors "german chocolate cake " oh just dam that was the best chocolate i tried !!!! i have tried to re-create that amount of time but just can't get past the one year mark

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks all for the replies...kind of confirming my thoughts on the safety of old juice, but I appreciate the affirmations - and @robot zombie's musings, though I agree that the worst-case scenario seems unlikely.

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've always figured that juice just goes stale, but doesn't spoil. I do still wonder what all of the compounds in a bottle of juice degrade to. Some of them could potentially be simpler, but much more toxic compounds. Or perhaps some of those simple compounds may react to form new, toxic compounds under certain conditions. Chemistry is freaky like that, sometimes.

I somehow doubt that it is in this case, tough.

On the other side of the coin,they could become extremely inert,less toxic yadda yadda ,just think about the bottle of vanilla extract in your mommas cupboard,now just how old is that ???!!!!

i highly doubt they turn toxic !! i am not the first or only one to vape juice beyond the 2 year mark !!

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
On the other side of the coin.....just think about the bottle of vanilla extract in your mommas cupboard,now just how old is that ???!!!!

I'm dying here. Because I honest to god believe that bottle is older than me. :D

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The most that happens is oxidization and perhaps flavor fade. As far as I know it doesn't 'spoil' in the usual sense of the word!
This. The color is oxidation. Flavor probably will fade.

VU Sponsors