Become a Patron!

vaping with copper

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so what happens when your brass or copper rda starts to tarnish.... or patina inside a rda or tank, are you vaping toxins?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so what happens when your brass or copper rda starts to tarnish.... or patina inside a rda or tank, are you vaping toxins?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I don't know the dangers of vaping with copper per say, but I do know that you can get too much copper in your system. As a nurse I have seen this with someone who had oxidizing copper water pipes. That person got quite sick & was lucky it was caught in time. I don't know how much you'll actually get from vaping, though.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We've been cooking in copper, drinking water from copper pipes, breathing in steam from copper pipes, etc. etc. for centuries.

I'm not concerned, just keep it clean and you'll be fine.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't know the dangers of vaping with copper per say, but I do know that you can get too much copper in your system. As a nurse I have seen this with someone who had oxidizing copper water pipes.

That takes a very specialized set of circumstances to occur, including a combination of factors like poorly installed copper pipes (too much flux), leaking water heater etc.

I don't know how much you'll actually get from vaping, though.

Dunno - it's unknown territory. But to even get close to toxic ingestion levels with cookware it has to be unlined (bare) copper cookware, used pretty much on a daily basis, and exposed to high acid type foods for long periods of time. It seems like it would take a lot to produce anything toxic with an RDA, considering the small amount of material involved. (Versus a 4 quart copper bowl or an entire household plumbing system.)

Here, go scare yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity

Did anyone ever make an all copper or brass RDA? I'm drawing a blank on that. I have atty accessory parts in brass and copper - like the AFC ring - but not the major part of the atty itself.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did anyone ever make an all copper or brass RDA? I'm drawing a blank on that. I have atty accessory parts in brass and copper - like the AFC ring - but not the major part of the atty itself.

Actually a number of them, the Goon, Stillare to mention a couple.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That takes a very specialized set of circumstances to occur, including a combination of factors like poorly installed copper pipes (too much flux), leaking water heater etc.

Dunno - it's unknown territory. But to even get close to toxic ingestion levels with cookware it has to be unlined (bare) copper cookware, used pretty much on a daily basis, and exposed to high acid type foods for long periods of time. It seems like it would take a lot to produce anything toxic with an RDA, considering the small amount of material involved. (Versus a 4 quart copper bowl or an entire household plumbing system.)

Here, go scare yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity

Yeah, after looking at my nursing books copper toxicity is pretty rare as you have to ingest quite a lot. From what I've read, the case I saw probably resulted from years of ingestion.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, after looking at my nursing books copper toxicity is pretty rare as you have to ingest quite a lot. From what I've read, the case I saw probably resulted from years of ingestion.

Yep and Copper is actually anti microbial ;)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Because it's toxic*

*At least to bacteria anyway..Runs away! Runs away!
So is water in the right amount ;)

Besides hospitals also pipe PG through the air ducts because it's antimicrobial ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Let me put it to you this way: you won't have to worry about fungal lung diseases.
True just possible toxic levels of metal.

copper and Brass both taste like crap to me.
Just good ol SS for me.
No painted tanks either. Possible contamination aside they get to looking like crap.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True just possible toxic levels of metal.

copper and Brass both taste like crap to me.
Just good ol SS for me.
No painted tanks either. Possible contamination aside they get to looking like crap.
If you're worried about that then you really must be worried about coils, pots, pans, cooking, etc, etc.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What,would be the best way,to clean copper or brass decks with out chemicals?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mix of water, lemon juice, & a bit of salt. Rinse well after letting soak in the mix for about 15min.

Edit : though salt is technically a chemical, I suppose.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah but it's not a harsh chemical at least.
Thanks for the tip I'll give it a try

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What,would be the best way,to clean copper or brass decks with out chemicals?

I use Wrights Copper Cream and Wrights Brass Cream. They are for cleaning Kitchenware and works wonders.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're worried about that then you really must be worried about coils, pots, pans, cooking, etc, etc.

Nope no copper pots. Only SS and Cast Iron skillets too.
And I am not worried about the contamination just the awful flavor when used in vaping and the maintenance required for no functional gain.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope no copper pots. Only SS and Cast Iron skillets too.
And I am not worried about the contamination just the awful flavor when used in vaping and the maintenance required for no functional gain.
There is a pretty significant performance difference between SS and copper, it's a lot more responsive. I'm always on the hunt for RDA's that have copper posts.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
friggin copper mods.....I had an Aria I was cleaning and the tube fell over and rolled off the table and hit the floor...damn copper is so soft that just that short fall bent the tube out of true round...

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
friggin copper mods.....I had an Aria I was cleaning and the tube fell over and rolled off the table and hit the floor...damn copper is so soft that just that short fall bent the tube out of true round...
Yeah I dropped my VCM V2, fucked it all up the same way. I got another and just use that one now for extra parts.

But next to silver copper performs the best, then aluminum right after that. Well that is unless you've got a solid gold mod to follow up after copper ;)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I dropped my VCM V2, fucked it all up the same way. I got another and just use that one now for extra parts.

But next to silver copper performs the best, then aluminum right after that. Well that is unless you've got a solid gold mod to follow up after copper ;)
actually my favorite is rhodium contacts...my nanos hits better than a hybrid.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm a sucker for Pure Silver contacts, just love them ;)
I know what you mean about copper though..one of my gennys the Pulse G has a copper 510 contact that is copper and I love the way it hits.

what other tube mods do you know that have those silver rhodium plated contacts.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know what you mean about copper though..one of my gennys the Pulse G has a copper 510 contact that is copper and I love the way it hits.
Yeah I picked up a Copper Raptor G2, she hits damn near as close as a series. It's a heavy chunk of Copper and damn it hits, I've got the pure silver upgrade on the way and I'm itching to get them in.

For tubes though I scored a Pilak and damn!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm not worried about copper from an inhalation perspective. I wasn't worried about using nickel or titanium wire for TC either.
I do not like the taste I get from copper caps or titanium wire though. When copper is clean and untarnished it doesnt that bother me; but, once it starts to tarnish....it taste like Lincoln's ass to me.
I do; however, love the look of copper!

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not worried about copper from an inhalation perspective. I wasn't worried about using nickel or titanium wire for TC either.
I do that like the taste I get from copper caps or titanium wire though. When copper is clean and I tarnished it does that bother me, but once it starts to tarnish it taste like Lincoln's ass to me.
I do; however, love the look of copper!
All ya gotta do is clean it.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
All ya gotta do is clean it.
I clean the mods religiously. I think with the attys, it's one of those situations where one bad experience puts a bad taste in your mouth. (See what I did there?)
Not a big deal, I just avoid copper attys. Weird part is the copper centerposts like in the tugboat v2, Never bothered me, just the caps. Weird, I know.

BAM crew

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Handling copper or brass makes my hands smell funky...Not something I want in my vape

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I clean the mods religiously. I think with the attys, it's one of those situations where one bad experience puts a bad taste in your mouth. (See what I did there?)
Not a big deal, I just avoid copper attys. Weird part is the copper centerposts like in the tugboat v2, Never bothered me, just the caps. Weird, I know.

BAM crew
I trashed out a cheap squonker mod becuase it had an unplated brass center pin. could NOT NOT get the taste to go away.
Its regulated board is scheduled to be used in a build station.

VU Sponsors